Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
So true! I guess I was referring to a tangible product.

When I was there with my EX wife I said look at those girls with such short mini-skirts and I went on to explain to her that they were hookers. This didn't go over well, she gave everyone the benefit of the doubt, We watched for a few minutes and I asked her why are they approaching all these different cars, she was clueless and young but finally conceded I was right...which killed her to do.
LOL!!!!!

I was talking about all the Japanese tourists shopping at places like Chanel, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 PM

181 posts, read 274,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, but this is pretty much a textbook case of how "common sense," or mainland experience, can lead you seriously astray when considering how things might be in Hawai'i... as opposed to having an authentic experience.

In fact the amount of luxury shopping that is done in Honolulu, by Asian tourists in particular, is quite surprising. You have to see it to believe it.
I admit a certain amount of ignorance about tourist shopping patterns.

When I have lived in Hawai'i, it's always been Windward, and I've never been a Saks 5th Avenue kind of guy even when on the mainland, so I didn't spend any time around the "high-class" stores.

I can tell you that here on the "9th Island," there seems to be a lot of window shopping and selcas by foreign tourists, but not so much buying, but again I tend to avoid those places (I'm 5'11 and 195 lbs, a good friend of mine is 4'10 and 90 lbs, and she keeps having to promise to protect me before I'll go in).

Therefore, I must stand corrected. Well, actually, SIT corrected, but you get the idea.

I do, however, object to the continuing mainlandization of Hawai'i. Honolulu is becoming more and more like Santa Monica every time I go there.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
I do, however, object to the continuing mainlandization of Hawai'i. Honolulu is becoming more and more like Santa Monica every time I go there.
Sure, so do I, but whatcha gonna do?

Old 12-29-2013, 11:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post

What's wrong with Santa Monica?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 AM

293 posts, read 362,673 times
I hate to hear that they are closing the IMP. When I lived there in 65 I used to spend a lot of time there each week. I never realized that it had fallen into disrepair and was facing closure. It used to be a fun place to visit. Guess that means the closed down Don Ho's place too? I had planed to take my family there when I came back over. Guess that's out of the picture now!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,270,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
According to the "City of Santa Monica 2013 Resident Survey": homelessness, traffic congestion, affordable housing, public safety, gangs/youth violence, lack of parking, too much growth and development, etc.
http://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/M...urvey_2013.pdf

While Waikīkī is plagued by most of the same problems as Santa Monica, Santa Monica isn't as reliant upon tourism. For Waikīkī, most policymakers consider increasing tourism to be the solution to its problems. Despite its historical significance, the International Market Place failed to attract the kinds of tourists that current policymakers desire for Waikīkī; and apparently, Sak's First Avenue (and similar stores) will.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,960,905 times
Don Ho's at Aloha Tower has been closed for years. The only restaurants left at Aloha Tower are Hooters and Gordon Biersh.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,772,573 times
Quote:
Please forgive me, im really not attacking you intentionally. You just keep saying the right things lol.

Im always baffled with people and will never understand the logic or the thinking process of moving to a new city or state and wantting to make it like the city or state someone came from? Im at a loss, it just doesn't compute. If the local ideals from that city or state worked, wouldnt you think it would be paradise then? Why move then?

You asked "whats wrong with Santa Monica?" I would ask you whats wrong with Oahu, Hawai'i?

I see this same logic here in Portland. The Pearl district is an example of this. People trying to make Portland into Cal when all its done was raise the cost of housing and left alot of empty condos.

Its not the ideal of developing thats wrong, its when it goes to the extreme like in Honolulu its wrong, Its like the only solution to problems is more money? While destroying unique communities in the process.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sure, so do I, but whatcha gonna do?
What's the point of having a volcano if you never use it?

Seriously, this is a zoning issue. And zoning issues are politician-backbone issues.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
It's not O'ahu.

If you want Santa Monica, you go to SANTA MONICA. People go to Hawai'i because they want HAWAI'I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu