Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I think the food at the International Marketplace is better than the food at Saks.
All in all you can't go wrong with shopping in Oahu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Gee I think this topic is rigged, Unless you lived in Hawai'i in the 60s, 70s, early 80s, you wouldnt know really how nice the I.M.P was at night when far fewer people were there. Oh well good luck with Saks fifth avenue. No sour grapes thou I do wish we had the technology back then to really show quility pictures. It would of been nice to be able to really show you how gorgeous Honolulu was in the 60s, 70s, early 80s.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
It seems like a lot of the small shops from the International Market place have spread out around Waikiki. I noticed that King's Village is almost full now!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
It seems like a lot of the small shops from the International Market place have spread out around Waikiki. I noticed that King's Village is almost full now!
Kings Village is a pretty good relocation spot for them. However, it may be only short term. Kings Village was sold in 2012. The new owners (BlackSand Capital) have plans to redevelop the site into a new luxury condominium devepment. If all permitting goes as planned, they will get started on construction in 2016.

So the relocated vendors will need to start looking for another place to call home again soon.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Unless you lived in Hawai'i in the 60s, 70s, early 80s, you wouldnt know really how nice the I.M.P was at night
Unless you lived in Hawaii in the 90's, 2000's, and today, you wouldn't know how much of a dump the International Market Place became - dirty, dumpy, with mostly Asian made knockoffs.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
The thing I like about the International Market Place is that it breaks up the monotony. It is something different in the long line of high end shops for Japanese tourists. That said, I can see how there is more money to be made for the current land owners by changing it. It would be nice if they could at least leave the front open and leave as many trees as they can.
Quote:
Like the last 30 years of major developments have changed the local economy and provided new jobs?
Quote:
For example:Nearly 50 years ago, at statehood, Hawai'i residents outnumbered tourists by more than 2 to 1. Today, tourists outnumber residents by 6 to 1 and rising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
While Waikīkī is plagued by most of the same problems as Santa Monica, Santa Monica isn't as reliant upon tourism. For Waikīkī, most policymakers consider increasing tourism to be the solution to its problems. Despite its historical significance, the International Market Place failed to attract the kinds of tourists that current policymakers desire for Waikīkī; and apparently, Sak's First Avenue (and similar stores) will.
Quote:
Ok fine, close the I.M.P, pave every inch of Hawai'i, build every skyscraper 40 stories high. Then when every inch of Hawai'i is redeveloped to look like any city on the mainland and every luxury and big store is here. Then 20years from now when the cost of living in Hawai'i has even reached a higher record high, and homelessness has tripled in Oahu etc. Maybe we can finally agree and say that all the Saks Fifth Avenues and etc had nothing to do with helping the local economy or people living in Hawai'i. That would be a great day.
It is hard to see so much ignorance in one place.

First the really easy, obvious stuff. How could anyone contend that the developments of the last 30 years did not create more jobs? Are you really saying that there is more unemployment now than in 1983/84? Especially on Oahu? That the GDP growth in HI hasn't zoomed in those years? All the data says otherwise. You should spend some time on the BLS and Federal Reserve sites if you think other this is wrong.

I was at Iolani Palace on that day for the statehood ceremony. To compare the post WWII, pre-jet era of Hawaii to the one where ships docked once a week or so is rather absurd.

The redevelopment of the IMP is precisely and exactly about helping the people of Hawaii. That is the sole reason for it. The Queen Emma Land Company, owner of the land that the IMP sat on, is a non-profit company that is the primary funder of The Queen's Health Systems that was founded by Queen Emma and King Kamehameha IV to provide health care for the Hawaiian people.

The obligation of the corporation is to all the people of Hawaii, not nostalgists for an IMP that died years and years ago. The "policy makers" for Waikiki, whomever anyone thinks they might be, had zero to do with the decision to replace IMP. It was the decision of the trustees based on what is best for their stakeholders.

Do I wish that the Waikiki of my childhood in the late 1950's and early 60's still existed? Sure. But I also with that CA still only had 15 million people, not 42 million and that Orange County only 800k, not 3.2 million, but that ain't reality. Life moves on. You want an unchanging place to live? I am not sure where that place is, but if there is such a place, I am guessing it is dying slowly.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Well said Tim.....

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM

@TimTheEnchanter

Aloha uncle? Yeah misunderstanding big time. The changing of IMP in itself isnt all that big but couple it with the loss of 98% of what was unique in Oahu in yours and my time and it hurts.

Further, i was being sarcastic about, "Like the last 30 years of major developments have changed the local economy and provided new jobs?" In context I was saying the truth is the tourism industry doesn't really benefit local residents or native hawaiians that much, it provides great profits for foriegn investors and state tax income thou. The ideal of a trikle down economy would mean the more money the rich make the more others would make, while currently waikiki and oahu tourism investors continue to make record breaking profits. Hawaii is still twice as expencive as it was in our times and wages still fall even further behind, and the ones suffering from Poverty, Homelessness or leaving are the local residents.

What is Hawai'i has to be defined, in your and my time (continue on next post please)

Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 PM

@TimTheEnchanter

(continued from my last post)

It was her culture, people and uniqueness and ohana. Not profits, modern conveniences, tourism. Thats my point, change is good and healthy, but not total elimination of things. Hawai'i in the future will be no different then any other mainland city or look no different. And the only difference will be her weather. That will be a sad day. Just my opinion. Balance has been lost.

My purpose isnt to be negative or a drag. But to remind people of what we were and are. Im not afraid of change or big business, im afraid of us not being able to coreect mistakes others made and what we are becomes completely extinct. Most people on here dont know hawaii as any better then what it is now. Thats because they have nothing to compair it to, this is why older residents are here to talk about different times so when choices are made then balance can be found.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 01-18-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The "policy makers" for Waikiki, whomever anyone thinks they might be, had zero to do with the decision to replace IMP. It was the decision of the trustees based on what is best for their stakeholders.
Hopefully, you realize that the members of the Queen Emma Health Systems Board of Trustees is comprised of some of the most influential people in Hawaiʻi, such as Stanley M. Kuriyama (President and CEO of Alexander & Baldwin), Erik K, Yeaman (President & CEO of Hawaiian Telcom), Maenette Benham (Dean of UHʻs Hawai'inuiakea School of Hawaiian Knowledge), Lyle Y. Harada (Vice President of Claims, Island Insurance Companies), Allan Ikawa (President & CEO of Big Island Candies), Kimo Steinwascher (Executive Vice President and COO of Kanēʻohe Ranch Company), Jenai S. Wall (CEO of Foodland Super Market Ltd.), and Leslie Wilcox (President & CEO of PBS Hawaiʻi). Furthermore, Erik Martinson (President of the Queen Emma Land Company) is also the "Senior Vice President, Endowment & Chief Investment Officer" at The Queen's Health Systems and a former UH Regent. Apparently, there's little "conflict of interest" when it comes to doing "what's best" (i.e. making money) for the stakeholders in the Queen Emma Health Systems and some of the other "side endeavors" of its trustees.
http://queensmedicalcenter.org/image...ss_Release.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu