Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,305,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
Actually, there were some mature people who actually responded accordingly. It's unfortunate that I actually have to ask for "mature" answers from grown adults, but there are always people that comb the site (such as yourself) that don't want to add any value. They just want to poke fun, be rude or sarcastic.
Apart from a few well known dictators, children can be the cruellest people in the world.

That being said, bullying for race is not really an issue at schools like Punahou, Iolani and Mid-Pac. Bullying for race in Hawaii is almost never about race—but social class. If you’re haole (i.e., white) you’re assumed to be rich and probably pretentious, stuck-up, etc. (Which is also why some people may overreact to the question on this board.) Going to a school where most people are affluent usually neutralizes the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM

161 posts, read 241,313 times
When we lived in Hawaii, I taught elementary grades for two years at a private school on Oahu (I had prior experience teaching public school back on the Mainland). I never saw any behavior issues/bullying for my grade level aside from the occasional kid drama ("she won't play with me", or "she won't give me a turn") that was appropriate for that age level everywhere. I will say that there is definitely more parent participation and involvement in private school which helps curbs a lot of the undesirable behavior/bullying that may occur elsewhere.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 AM

69 posts, read 314,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Just don't plan on using it on a private school campus unless you can prove it was in self-defense. The one time I saw a fight at my private school, both students were expelled. There was at least a fight a week at my public school and the students usually weren't even suspended.
What?!! I have attended a public high school here on Oahu, and whenever students fought, they were suspended for sure. If not suspended, the student would be given on-campus duties, such as washing dishes in the cafeteria. If it was a very bad fight, HPD would be called to the campus, and I have seen students get arrested for assault/battery.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 AM

69 posts, read 314,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post

But I agree that race often doesn't matter. Many bullies are more concerned about picking on anyone weak or getting some money than with the person's race. There were Asians and Pacific Islanders who got bullied at my public school even though like 90% of the students were of those races.
^^ So true. Hate hearing how people think that haoles/whites or even popolos are the only victims of bullying within the public school system here in Hawaii. But it is true that certain public schools are dominated more by locals or Hawaiians than other high schools.

This is why I got a geographical exception (GE), and attended a public high school located 14 miles away from my house!

Heck, in my case, esp in elementary and middle school, I had instances of other students pulling their eyes back, calling me rice-eye, go back to China (and I'm not even Chinese), etc.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM

195 posts, read 669,624 times
I wouldn't waste money on private school for a 5 year old. My daughter is mostly white and has had no problems here. The curriculum is great. The students have loads of homework and the parents are required to sign basically everything they do. I live in the Pearl Harbor/Salt Lake area of Honolulu. Middle to lower class area, kids aren't snobs or wannabe gangsters. I came from a mostly white/native american area in Minnesota, but before that a mostly black area in Cleveland. My kid goes to a mostly asian school now I have a feeling she'll have much more open mind when she's an adult. Your kid will be fine here.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 PM

43 posts, read 62,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutmad View Post
My gosh, why is everyone on here so RUDE!!
Haha.... That's what I was thinking ... You were only asking a question or looking for an opinion ...if they don't have anything helpful or nice wouldn't be best just to say nothing .. Just my opinion

Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
@madaboutmad

I believe what you are reacting to in regards to race bullying in Hawai'i is true, but more so in the distant past. Hawai'i nei has changed alot since then. Its true we had kill haole day back then (always last day of school) But as another poster pointted out, it had less to do with race but social class. If you’re haole (i.e., white) you’re assumed to be rich and probably pretentious, stuck-up, etc(stick around cdf hawai'i you will see what im saying). Thus its more of a general attitude thing then race. Ive attended both private school and public in Hawai'i but at a time when Hawai'i was different. My experience was both had bullying, but i found public school to have more of it because generally its people who can't afford private school and are more sensitive to the general pretentious, stuck-up attitudes etc. Just try to be one and blend in instead of standing out and you guys will be ok. Just remember we live on an island good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times
Ps: these attitudes everyone can have no matter what race, but it appears to be more prominent in european culturals, i assume its because competition is importent and its more I instead of we. So this is were it appears to be based on race when majority of whites get bullied for it.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,011,388 times
Bullying isn't really a huge problem when kids are that small.

Middle school is when it usually starts.

Private school is much more strict and there was hardly any bullying at the ones I went to middle and high school for.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:41 AM

206 posts, read 383,529 times
I'm going to give the same advice that you would get if you posted on the Iowa board, "my daughter is black, how do I minimize the inevitable racial bullying in school [since I'm positive that racism is rampant there]?":

If you send your child into school with a chip on her shoulder about race, that sense of difference is going to communicate itself to her peers and may precipitate the exact problems you're trying to avoid. If you send her in respectful of differences and expecting to get along with everyone, she probably won't have any problems.

I will add that the people of color who I've seen ask questions like this generally manage to find a non-inflammatory way of phrasing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: