Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

I have thoroughly enjoyed the past 5 months or so here in the Ocala area. Within a couple of weeks after arriving here at the end of September, the weather moderated and it was the first autumn/winter season in a number of years where the weather wasn't discouragingly warm. Many brisk, beautiful days. But, definitely dry for the most part. Just a couple of days ago my neighbor had their lawn cut and the mower was stirring up clouds of dust more than anything else.

So this rain we're having, which is scheduled to last through tomorrow, is rather welcome and hopefully will put a bit of a damper on the fire season. A good soaking rain. Is this usual heading into spring here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM

160 posts, read 191,531 times
I have hundreds of pounds of live oak leaves to burn. Huge pile. I couldn't get a permit because it was dry. Now I can't burn them because it's raining.

Very disappointed in February. A friend told me it would be cool, and then we had all that hot weather.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
A can of gas and a match will do the job, even in the rain.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I have hundreds of pounds of live oak leaves to burn. Huge pile. I couldn't get a permit because it was dry. Now I can't burn them because it's raining.

Very disappointed in February. A friend told me it would be cool, and then we had all that hot weather.
Mulching party at Hoarse's house! BYOM (Bring Your Own Mower) do some crazy eights and pop a few wheelies! Weenie and marshmallow roast!

Wait, that was hot weather? I admit, we had a few warm days, but it was followed by a nice cool down, bright blue sky and wonderful breeze. I loved to see the flowering trees, but it was a little short lived for me.

Lotta chemtrails here, though.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM

I've found that using gasoline on the burn pile is a great way to get rid of unwanted leg hair and melt my shoelaces.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I've found that using gasoline on the burn pile is a great way to get rid of unwanted leg hair and melt my shoelaces.
Stomping on those piles for fire control?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 PM

I have to admit, I rather like it here. I would be really bummed if I had to move back to the Tampa area.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM

I can't believe these leaves. I installed a mulch kit on the mower, and they just sit on the ground while I ride over them. And the Spanish moss IN THE GRASS (is that even possible?) wraps around my leaf sweeper's axles so I have to cut it off. I tried burning it off with a torch. Then I found out how beautifully Spanish moss burns. Big flames. I did not see that coming.

Last time I burned leaves, the pile kept going for 3 days, and it was impossible to put out. I feel like this is an overlooked energy source. Probably the best kindling in the universe. I thought they would be gone in an hour.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Stomping on those piles for fire control?
I put around 4 ounces of gas on the burn pile and lit it. The blast and fireball covered me from head to toe. Was I surprised? In a nutshell, yes.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I can't believe these leaves. I installed a mulch kit on the mower, and they just sit on the ground while I ride over them. And the Spanish moss IN THE GRASS (is that even possible?) wraps around my leaf sweeper's axles so I have to cut it off. I tried burning it off with a torch. Then I found out how beautifully Spanish moss burns. Big flames. I did not see that coming.

Last time I burned leaves, the pile kept going for 3 days, and it was impossible to put out. I feel like this is an overlooked energy source. Probably the best kindling in the universe. I thought they would be gone in an hour.
Some friends of ours used to keep a couple of horses on five acres in a semi-rural part of Hillsborough County. Those horses would eat the lower hanging Spanish moss off the oaks for a snack.

Seriously, though, Hoarse, how're you doing? If I recall, you moved up here from Dade County a little before we arrived from Hillsborough. Has that been a big adjustment for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala