Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,399,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
And speaking of being chilled, WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING WEATHER????

Anyhoo...to get back on topic, my concern is that I am a student working toward my teaching credentials. Since I have never worked in the public sector I really have no idea what it will be like to be used to paying so much for benefits and then having that change. That's not even an issue for me. My concern comes from the fact that I'm borrowing thousands of dollars in student loans to earn this degree and I don't want to get lowballed when I get my first job! Every person who goes into education knows that teachers do not make a lot of money. We do it because we love kids and we love teaching. HOWEVER, we still want our time and efforts to be fairly compensated. A year ago I was excited about teaching...now, not so much
Off topic, but another reason why you should be moving to the Carolinas 70s and mid 80s through next week....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,160,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegal78 View Post
And speaking of being chilled, WHERE THE HECK IS SPRING WEATHER????

Anyhoo...to get back on topic, my concern is that I am a student working toward my teaching credentials. Since I have never worked in the public sector I really have no idea what it will be like to be used to paying so much for benefits and then having that change. That's not even an issue for me. My concern comes from the fact that I'm borrowing thousands of dollars in student loans to earn this degree and I don't want to get lowballed when I get my first job! Every person who goes into education knows that teachers do not make a lot of money. We do it because we love kids and we love teaching. HOWEVER, we still want our time and efforts to be fairly compensated. A year ago I was excited about teaching...now, not so much
The way the kids are today, I wouldn't want to be a teacher. I'd be up on assult charges for busting one of them upside the head. lol

Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,285,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Off topic, but another reason why you should be moving to the Carolinas 70s and mid 80s through next week....
Do you ever stop?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM

913 posts, read 2,364,743 times
So this is the answer by the Repubs for SB5?

From ORP:
Fellow Ohioan,
It was March 23, 2010 when President Obama signed his health care bill into law. Against the will of the American people, the President and Democratic Congress unleashed one of the worst pieces of legislation our country has ever seen.
In reaction to the President’s praise of Obamacare in his deficit speech last week, the Wall Street Journal labeled the law a “new multitrillion-dollar entitlement” and a harm to job creation.

Commit a gift of $25 now so that we can strengthen our effort to put the Health Care Freedom Amendment on the November ballot.
In partnership with the Ohio Project, we are fighting to preserve the freedom of Ohioans to individually choose their health care and health insurance. Today, April 18, 2011, we ask that you join us.
Support a constitutional amendment to protect Ohioans against Obamacare’s burdening government mandates.

This is how they are going to motivate their base? They have been trying to get the signatures for over a year and haven't succeed.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,210,598 times
LOL, they are free to do what they wish, but I don't agree that passing RomneyCare nationwide was against the will of the people. Maybe against the will of a minority that was lied to, but not against the will of an informed public.

Hopefully we will be able to vote on SB5 this fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post

From ORP:
Fellow Ohioan,
It was March 23, 2010 when President Obama signed his health care bill into law. Against the will of the American people, the President and Democratic Congress unleashed one of the worst pieces of legislation our country has ever seen.
In reaction to the President’s praise of Obamacare in his deficit speech last week, the Wall Street Journal labeled the law a “new multitrillion-dollar entitlement” and a harm to job creation.

Commit a gift of $25 now so that we can strengthen our effort to put the Health Care Freedom Amendment on the November ballot.
In partnership with the Ohio Project, we are fighting to preserve the freedom of Ohioans to individually choose their health care and health insurance. Today, April 18, 2011, we ask that you join us.
Support a constitutional amendment to protect Ohioans against Obamacare’s burdening government mandates.

This is how they are going to motivate their base? They have been trying to get the signatures for over a year and haven't succeed.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
LOL, they are free to do what they wish, but I don't agree that passing RomneyCare nationwide was against the will of the people. Maybe against the will of a minority that was lied to, but not against the will of an informed public.

Hopefully we will be able to vote on SB5 this fall.
I keep thinking about that every time I hear a Repub say something like "the American people voted us into office to balance the budget" or "the American people want the health care bill repealed". I don't know what American people they are talking about, but it is not me.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,210,598 times
the only thing I don't like about Obama's version of RomneyCare is that he allowed the R's to muddy it up with Repub style "compromise". He should have pushed through a single payer bill the way kasich pushed this SB5 mess though. We'd have a better law today.
Quote:
I keep thinking about that every time I hear a Repub say something like "the American people voted us into office to balance the budget" or "the American people want the health care bill repealed". I don't know what American people they are talking about, but it is not me.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:58 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,516,081 times
Quote:

From ORP:
Fellow Ohioan,

Am I misunderstanding SB5 or does it indeed push for all public employees belong to one central health insurance plan and require that they pay a certain percentage of such health care plan?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Am I misunderstanding SB5 or does it indeed push for all public employees belong to one central health insurance plan and require that they pay a certain percentage of such health care plan?
The Repubs are attempting to motivate their base by placing a health care referendum on the ballot along side the SB 5 referendum. They are thinking that there is a huge amount of people unhappy with the president's health care bill and if they put a referendum on the state ballot they can get those people to the polls. And when they go to the polls, they will vote for SB5. At least that's my impression. A couple problems that I see. First, they have not been able to get enough signatures to place this health care referendum on the ballot for a year, why do they think they enough support now? Also, if you read the email, it says "we are fighting to preserve the freedom of Ohioans to individually choose their health care and health insurance." Unless I misread the health care bill, it does not make an individual change their health care. Unless they are say it "preserves" the freedom not to have health care. But it doesn't say that. Are they saying that they are going to prohibit Ohioans from being able to purchase health care using the federal health care plan?

There are two parts of SB 5 that, IMO, tend to resonate with voters. They are requiring public workers to pay 15% of their health care and not making union membership mandatory. In the entire bill, those two issues are the only part that poll high. Look for the proponents of SB 5 to use that with their billions of out of state dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio