Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 AM

913 posts, read 2,366,119 times

Advertisements

I have been talking to a lot of people about this bill and the responses have surprised me. Probably 75-80% of the people I have talked with are against this bill. I expected it to be much less. I have really been surprised at the amount of Republicans who oppose this bill. A lot of the Republicans I have talked with are teachers, police, firefighter and public workers. I think there is a huge misconception these people are Democrats, when in truth most are Republicans. I have talked with teachers who say their schools are 80-90 Republican. Well, until now. It appears, IMO, the passage of this bill is going to create a backlash. I have talked with people who have been die hard Republicans for years and they are questioning the wisdom of their leaders. Most say if this passes, they will not vote Republican for any reason ever again. How could the leadership of the Republican party miscalculated public opinion this much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM

9,921 posts, read 7,816,056 times
15 sick days that you are allowed to accumulate? Oh my, I thought those types of perks went away decades ago. I work for a major worldwide corporation and we only get 7 discretionary days which could be used for sick days or requested days off. If we don't use all of them, we get them paid off at the end of the year.

It's all wonderful to have your 15 sick days, but I believe benefits like those are not common in the private sector. Add in that we have to spread our 7 days over 12 months, not 9-10.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,799,923 times
I get 3 sick days. A year.
Sucks...

Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
15 sick days that you are allowed to accumulate? Oh my, I thought those types of perks went away decades ago. I work for a major worldwide corporation and we only get 7 discretionary days which could be used for sick days or requested days off. If we don't use all of them, we get them paid off at the end of the year.

It's all wonderful to have your 15 sick days, but I believe benefits like those are not common in the private sector. Add in that we have to spread our 7 days over 12 months, not 9-10.

So take away the teacher sick days. So if they get sick, they go to school. And then they get your kid sick. Then YOU can can take off work. It's your choice.

And by the way, if a teacher does not use all their sick days (and most do not) they do not get paid for them.

Last edited by davery5872; 02-28-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:04 AM

"In the Society for Human Resource Management's 2004 Benefits Survey, 86 percent of survey respondents offer some sort of paid sick leave to employees, either specified as sick days or in a paid time off plan. The average is 11 paid sick days per year. Of those who provide paid sick leave, 52 percent allow some portion of the unused sick days to be rolled over into the next year."

</title> <link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="/Utility/Consumer_styles.css" /> <title>Payroll Manager Express, Online Payroll ?Contact, Overview

Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,563,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I have been talking to a lot of people about this bill and the responses have surprised me. Probably 75-80% of the people I have talked with are against this bill. I expected it to be much less. I have really been surprised at the amount of Republicans who oppose this bill. A lot of the Republicans I have talked with are teachers, police, firefighter and public workers. I think there is a huge misconception these people are Democrats, when in truth most are Republicans. I have talked with teachers who say their schools are 80-90 Republican. Well, until now. It appears, IMO, the passage of this bill is going to create a backlash. I have talked with people who have been die hard Republicans for years and they are questioning the wisdom of their leaders. Most say if this passes, they will not vote Republican for any reason ever again. How could the leadership of the Republican party miscalculated public opinion this much?
Davery, I'm a 56-year old guy who's retired from the military & drives a truck. And EVERYONE knows that G.I.'s & truckers are Right-Wingers... In reality, there are a faid amount of Republic/Conservative ideals I agree with; get of your seat and owrk and you shall succeed. Governement needs to be mostly out of the way of business. Governemnets should be fiscally conservative. I get all that. But I don't know if I missed it before or just am paying more attention now. But I see the Republicans just becoming mean & vindictive. While I'm hoping Gov. Kasich will be able to bring more jobs and better financial fortune to Ohio. So far, he seems hell-bent on carrying out a vendetta against public employees (especially teachers) and breaking up any and all unions.

I believe unions are by no means the perfect answr to labor's problems. but they truly are the only real protectoion labor has. For me, the end game for the R's is destroy all the unions and turn most every job in America into a "Mcjob" with low pay & few, if any benefits in a race to the bottom. When I hear "Well, the private sector doesn't get______. My response is "So the answer is to take it away from public employees, too? Why isn't the answer: "We need to work towars the private sector's return to honest pay and benefits". We MUST be ever vigilant that those in power keep pitting us against each other so that one day they will destroy us all...

Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,194,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Well, I work for a global, $40 billion+ company. An entry level, salaried professional gets 15 discretionary PTO days and unlimited "incidental" days that can be used for any emergency. They are based on an honors system. The PTO days accumulate while the incidental days do not. Quite simply, people who are sick are encouraged to stay home. A colleague just recently stayed home for 20 work days recovering from pneumonia. Since his reason for absence was quite valid, he won't be penalized or reprimanded for his extended absence. Moreover, he will be paid for the time he missed. And his pay is likely double that of the average public school teacher as he is well into the six-figures.

The reasoning behind the paid sick days for public school teachers is quite simple. They are generally paid by the day. If they miss a day, they must use a sick day if they wish to be paid. If they must be out for an extended absence due to illness, the accumulation of these sick days will account for that as nobody knows when they will fall ill or, due to the ailment's seriousness, what the duration will be.

Now if you feel that this is unacceptable, all I can tell you is that your thought process is archaic and borderline draconian. After hundreds of years of trying to figure out how to squeeze every dime out of the labor pool, forward thinking companies have finally come to the conclusion that penalizing or quantifying ailments truly makes no fiscal sense. Penalizing someone who is an otherwise productive employee is a serious hindrance to their productivity and loyalty. Quantifying ailments does nothing other than force the ill into going to work and the consequent spreading of a disease that could have been contained, thus leading to even more productivity hindrances among that person's peers.

Given the exposure that teachers are subjected to, ample sick pay is a must. That is, unless you want the worst people possible teaching our children. As I see it, the only thing keeping good teachers in their respective professions is the fact that they are both dedicated and treated as professionals. It certainly isn't the pay which is, by and large, quite a bit less than many other professions.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital; that, in fact, capital is the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,244,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I believe unions are by no means the perfect answr to labor's problems. but they truly are the only real protectoion labor has. For me, the end game for the R's is destroy all the unions and turn most every job in America into a "Mcjob" with low pay & few, if any benefits in a race to the bottom. When I hear "Well, the private sector doesn't get______. My response is "So the answer is to take it away from public employees, too? Why isn't the answer: "We need to work towars the private sector's return to honest pay and benefits". We MUST be ever vigilant that those in power keep pitting us against each other so that one day they will destroy us all...
It's curious, isn't it? When over the years employers began cutting expenses from the bottom, by elimating pensions, reducing contributions to health insurance and 401Ks, restructuring time off to disallow things like carrying sick time over, or reducing the number of vacation hours one could carry, did the typical American worker say "good, looks like my company is being fiscally responsible, glad I still have a job, those benefits were bad for business," or did they grumble? And since they did nothing to stand up for themselves (or couldn't), now all they do is lash out at the workers who still do have decent benefits. So misdirected. But then, many are so easily misdirected.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
But then, many are so easily misdirected.
That about sums it up. We have become a country distracted by "shiny things".

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,169,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I get 3 sick days. A year.
Sucks...
And ya probibly work your keester off just to get thoughs and on a job that's year around, not just a few months out of the year, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio