Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,222 times

Advertisements

What can I say... it's home. I hate this place most days and can't wait to get away. It's trashy, violent, drug addicted and cold. It has its' good moments though and it's a place you love to hate. Recommendation: Don't move to Springfield!

But really... where is really all that great anymore, anyway??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times
I grew up in Vandalia, which is north of Dayton. I left there to attend college in Cleveland, and lived on the east side for 10 years. I did have my passport (lol) to cross the bridge to the west side too! I then lived in DC for 9 years and this year moved to southcentral PA.
I miss Ohio, but not as much since I moved to PA. Vandalia was small and back then I thought there wasn't much to do, but it was a great place to grow up and feel safe.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
I was born and raised in Toledo as well. Grew up in the Point Place area, which is a right off of lake Erie and a stones throw from Michigan. Stayed there until I graduated from highschool then moved down to Cincinnati to go to UC.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 340,026 times
I am a third generation native of Ohio City, a neighborhood across the river from Downtown Cleveland. The hospital I was born in, Lutheran, has not had a labor and delivery room for years. I was taken home to the Lorain County suburb of Avon Lake, where I lived until my father was transferred to Michigan. I spent most of my adult life in Northern California, but now live in the Little Rock area.

I'll always be a Buckeye.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,607 times
^^
That Point Place area is pretty neat, if that is the same neighborhood Im thinking about.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM

113 posts, read 425,273 times
I'm from Green (right off of 77, in between Akron & Canton) & I loved every minute of living there. I'm currently in SC teaching, but will be back there eventually.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
I'm from Green (right off of 77, in between Akron & Canton) & I loved every minute of living there. I'm currently in SC teaching, but will be back there eventually.
Just curious as to why you loved living in Green (I'm from the Canton area as well) as opposed to where you are in SC? We've had the opposite experience, w/the exception of us missing family & friends who mostly live there.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 50,987 times
I grew up in a small town called New Lebanon. Back in the 70's and 80's anyway, it had a great small town feel. Kids took their bikes out and rode through the neighborhoods until the streetlights came on, that sort of thing. Never experienced any feel of crime or safety concerns, even though we were pushing up towards the west end of Dayton. Maybe that was just a different time... It's a town of almost 5,000 so there are still some things to do and the school is big enough to support a full slate of sports teams but not so big that you can't play if you only have moderate skill or athleticism. Band was top-notch while we had a conductor named Mr. David Keener.

It wasn't until after I left that I realized there was kind of a casual racism in the town. Don't get me wrong, now. Nothing particularly overt here! I remmeber no lynch mobs or efforts to remove any "certain types" of people from the town. It was really subtle. Although I'm sure this was a lot more common in the Midwest 30 years or so ago. For one, in a high school of 400-500, there was typically 3-4 African Americans at a time. I recall no other minority group represented for the entire length of K-12 with the exception of one exchange student from Mexico. The school was called "Dixie High School" (as the Dixie Highway was supposed to have gone through the town when the school was established) and the Confederate Battle Flag was painted on a wall in the gym. Honestly, I didn't even get it all when I was young, and somewhat innocent. Anyway that part aside, I feel like I would want many of the best aspects of New Lebanon for my kids if I ever have any.

I've also lived in Oxford, OH both to go to school and to work. Nice enough town with the University energy and all, but not a lot of soul.

And Athens, OH for work and school as well. Must say I LOVE that town. It does have the soul that Oxford lacks. The town has a great vibe, and is second to none for partying in Ohio if you can do without the big city amenities. And there is even plenty of Parks and natural beauty in the surrounding areas.

Other than that (less than one year meandering aside), I've lived in Key West, FL and Germany. Both a lot more exciting than Ohio, but without that stable feeling of "home."

Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,455,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
^^
That Point Place area is pretty neat, if that is the same neighborhood Im thinking about.

Yes it is. I really miss being by the water.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,788 times
Originally grew up and lived in MI most of my life.

We got jobs near Cleveland (him Strongsville, me Downtown on Lakeside)...

He is originally from Walbridge, just outside of Toledo. Great small town, very friendly and affordable!

2007-
Moved to Doylestown a few miles away from Wadsworth / Fairlawn areas. Loved that little town, but moved to be closer to work. Small town feel somewhat close to the outside life. Was fortunate enough to be there when they have the town rummage sale ... wish I had had money at the time! The furniture the Amish brought in was gorgeous! The scenery there... reason enough for me to move back!!

Next moved to Grafton just outside of Elyria. I lived outside the town, so no real impression about Grafton except I did not like the well water there. Very convenient to everything!

Loved Strongsville and N.Royalton. My best friend grew up and currently lives in Strongsville and I like to visit as much as I can. Brunswick and Medina are ok. Nice neighborhoods and great shopping choices.

2008-
We transferred to NW Ohio, currently about 12 miles out of Bowling Green. I like BG in the fact that it has just about everything I need, but the landscape lacks. The small town we live in is... small. But friendly enough. I work in Fremont. I don't have much to say other than it is typical small town America.

2009-
??
I might try to transfer back to NE Ohio if a supervisor position opens up within my company, most likely in Green if it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio