Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 04:52 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
You southerners make me sick I want to go home to the land of "my people" (as in my parents home states) Iowa and Wisconsin.
Hey, my blood has thinned since I moved to Texas 18 years ago. It's physiological!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
Thanks, HT. Love that park. I will have to go see the cacti again.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
Skirvin Hotel after renovations...

pic taken around 1935 of The First National, City Place and some Art Deco building that was destroyed.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM

The Skirvin is one of the most beautiful hotels in the state, if not the country. It almost looks like a castle. Thank goodness they never tore it down for "newer and better."

Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The Skirvin is one of the most beautiful hotels in the state, if not the country. It almost looks like a castle. Thank goodness they never tore it down for "newer and better."

Lots of history!
"Guests included cigar-chomping politicians, free-wheeling ranchers, blanketed Indians from the state's 70 tribes, oil-rich millionaires, mud-covered drillers, and even notorious bank robbers such as the famed Al Jennings, the ex-convict who launched his bid for governor from the lobby".

"Picture Audrey Hepburn in 1950s movies,” historian Bob Blackburn said. "KOMA radio would broadcast ‘LIVE from the Venetian Room atop the Skirvin Hotel' ...”

Skirvin has hosted 4 presidents, Elvis Presley, Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, countless politicians, oil barons, many Hollywood film stars like Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and of course outlaws!

Here is another kinda freaky part of its history...

"The Oklahoma showplace became a popular speak-easy during prohibition. It was during this time that W.B. Skirvin was said to have had an affair with one of the hotel maids. According to legend, the maid soon conceived and in order to prevent a scandal, she was locked in a room on the top floor of the hotel. The desolate girl soon grew depressed and even after the birth of her child; she was still not let out of the room. Half out of her mind, she finally grabbed the infant child and threw herself, along with the baby, out of the window.

The maid’s name remains unknown, but her ghost continues to haunt the Skirvin Hotel and she was nicknamed “Effie” by former employees.

Though the old hotel closed in 1988, former guests would often report not being able to obtain a decent nights sleep due to the consistent sounds of a child crying.

Effie was apparently a woman of loose morals and many men who have stayed in the hotel have often reported being propositioned by a female voice while alone in their rooms. Others have seen the figure of a naked woman with them while taking a shower. One man even claimed he was sexually assaulted by an invisible entity during his stay.

Other strange noises and occurrences were reported by staff and guests including things seemingly being moved around by themselves, such as the maid’s cart being pushed down the hall when no one was there".

Hopefully Marcus Resorts brought in some ghostbusters before the renovations.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:44 PM

Close up pic of the Skirvin hotel...

Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
HT, your pics are always so nice. I was thinking about you today because they showed OKC on storm stories. They actually did a pretty nice job cause they showed several nice buildings around town. It ended up being a tornado story about Moore.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: poor grammar. LOL

Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 AM

GORGEOUS!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Just got this book...It really has some very interesting information. I highly recommend for the 'OKC enthusiast'.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Interesting. I'll have to get that book HT. How many pages is it? Are there lots of nice pictures? We LIKE pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City