Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times

Advertisements

Racism is still alive today, don't let anybody tell you that's not true. I am from Checotah, Oklahoma originally, and there are two famous people from there, Carrie Underwood and John Hope Franklin. I know a lot of y'all will say, hey John Hope Franklin from Rentiesville? But that is just actually an unincorporated town north of Checotah.

John Hope Franklin (January 2, 1915 – March 25, 2009) was an American historian of the United States and former president of Phi Beta Kappa, the Organization of American Historians, the American Historical Association, and the Southern Historical Association. Franklin is best known for his work From Slavery to Freedom, first published in 1947, and continually updated. More than three million copies have been sold. In 1995, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

Sorry for the cut and paste but Wikipedia explains it better than I could LOL
John Hope Franklin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I can't help but to think if John Hope Franklin had been a white man, Checotah high school would probably be named after him, or at least some schools or some libraries in Oklahoma. He was a very great man, and we should be so grateful to have had him been a resident of Oklahoma.

Okay I will get back off my soapbox, everybody get back to fussing! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Okie, please post the story. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I actually know what you're saying, but it is a word I strongly dislike. just like Ruby that word was never allowed in our house. I think I have mentioned this before, but in the mid 60s our family moved to Georgia and my folks absolutely hated it there. There was only one word they called African-Americans, and that was Lazy N$@@&$s, or stinking,or dirty, or stupid... I was too young to know what was going on then, but even today my folks still talk about that and how sick it made them to hear that ALL THE TIME! That is one of the reasons I have little or no respect for most rap musicians.

I got a story I could tell, But I suspect you folks might think I was making it up. This story is the reason we move back to Oklahoma. If anyone's interested I'll post it.
By all means, post the story, Brother.

Your word is much better than mine and GoodPasture's, and especially Redbird's!

It may be a little disconcerting for you to be mentioned with such suspect company, but I say share away...

Old 03-15-2015, 04:51 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
I got a story I could tell, But I suspect you folks might think I was making it up. This story is the reason we move back to Oklahoma. If anyone's interested I'll post it.
Spill it!

B&C, I only tell stories about bigfoot and UFO's.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Spill it!

B&C, I only tell stories about bigfoot and UFO's.
I'm going to ask my mom and dad to repeat the story again, it's been a long time since I heard it and I don't want to mess it up. I was involved but don't remember it that well.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
I'm going to ask my mom and dad to repeat the story again, it's been a long time since I heard it and I don't want to mess it up. I was involved but don't remember it that well.
I was abducted. Juuust kidding.

I have a few stories of my own about racism, but I don't dwell on them. I think most humans have their share of hatred, and no race, color, or creed is exempt. I mean there are some folks who just dwell on hating those who are different from themselves. I know I saw some ignorant behavior on display when I was at a university, but it was not confined to greeks.

But for me, OK has changed for the better since the 60s.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:47 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I was abducted. Juuust kidding.

I have a few stories of my own about racism, but I don't dwell on them. I think most humans have their share of hatred, and no race, color, or creed is exempt. I mean there are some folks who just dwell on hating those who are different from themselves. I know I saw some ignorant behavior on display when I was at a university, but it was not confined to greeks.

But for me, OK has changed for the better since the 60s.
I moved back to Oklahoma from California in 1988 to 1990 left in September 1990 , and OK has made
tremendous strides in becoming less racist , and it should have because it's 2015.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM

Well here goes, this is the reason we moved out of Georgia. I was just four years old and my mom and dad were just in their early 20s, this would have been about 1966, my dad worked for a survey crew who were working on powerlines. We lived in a trailer park just outside of Thompson Georgia, in those days it was common for construction workers to live in trailer parks.

Neither my mom and dad have a racist bone in their body. My dad was raised near Tahlequah Oklahoma, and never saw a black person until he went to college. So he never really had an opinion one way or the other. My mom on the other hand was raised on a farm outside of Checotah Oklahoma, just like dad she was from a poor family. My mom's farm was just a few miles from the Deep Fork bottom, so she spent all of her late summers and early fall picking cotton by hand. Right alongside the African-American people. My mom and her siblings didn't see them as any different than the African-Americans they worked side-by-side with.

My dad worked construction and survey jobs right out of college, he also worked side-by-side with African-Americans and learned they were no different than he was.

When my mom and dad first moved to Georgia they were shocked at how much the people down there hated the African-Americans. My mom had a hard time keeping her mouth shut around the neighbors in the trailer park we lived in. One of the neighbors jokingly said that my mother better keep her mouth shut or the klan will come and get her.

So one day my sister and I were playing with a young African-American boy who had wondered up to our trailer. We were have a good time and my mom thought it was cute. One of the ladies who lived next door saw us playing with the little AA boy and started screaming and throwing a fit. Yelling we were going to get everyone in trouble playing with a ni$$@£ boy. Then suddenly an old man comes out of nowhere and yanks that boy up by the arm and throws him into the back of a pickup truck. It seemed for some strang reason this AA boy was with this old white man. I may have to ask my folks why the boy was with him, but it seemed he worked with this old man. I'm guessing he was about 8 or so.

So this old man is very upset this kid is playing with us and that the neighbor lady is making such a commotion. So the old man takes off real fast with this kid in the back of this truck with an old very heavy refrigerator in the back. As the truck lunges forward the refrigerator falls on this kid! My mom is very upset and is screaming for the truck to stop but the old man just keeps going.

Mom didn't know what to do, she wanted to go to the laundry so she could call the police, but all the neighbors told her she was making a big deal about it, because after all it was only a ni@@&$ boy. They had her convinced the cops would not help out at all. In all truthfulness They probably wouldn't.

When dad got home that night mom said she wanted to move back to Oklahoma. Dad talked to his foreman and he got a job back in Oklahoma working up in the panhandle, mom thought it was much better there than Georgia.

We are always debating on here if Oklahoma is southern or something else. I asked dad last year if he thought Oklahoma was southern, he said "no, this place is nothing like the South"

Last edited by okie1962; 03-22-2015 at 01:39 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Well here goes, this is the reason we moved out of Georgia. I was just four years old and my mom and dad were just in their early 20s, this would have been about 1966, my dad worked for a survey crew who were working on powerlines. We lived in a trailer park just outside of Thompson Georgia, in those days it was common for construction workers to live in trailer parks.

Neither my mom and dad have a racist bone in their body. My dad was raised near Tahlequah Oklahoma, and never saw a black person until he went to college. So he never really had an opinion one way or the other. My mom on the other hand was raised on a farm outside of Checotah Oklahoma, just like dad she was from a poor family. My mom's farm was just a few miles from the Deep Fork bottom, so she spent all of her late summers and early fall picking cotton by hand. Right alongside the African-American people. My mom and her siblings didn't see them as any different than the African-Americans they worked side-by-side with.

My dad worked construction and survey jobs right out of college, he also worked side-by-side with African-Americans and learned they were no different than he was.

When my mom and dad first moved to Georgia they were shocked at how much the people down there hated the African-Americans. My mom had a hard time keeping her mouth shut around the neighbors in the trailer park we lived in. One of the neighbors jokingly said that my mother better keep her mouth shut or the klan will come and get her.

So one day my sister and I were playing with a young African-American boy who had wondered up to our trailer. We were have a good time and my mom thought it was cute. One of the ladies who lived next door saw us playing with the little AA boy and started screaming and throwing a fit. Yelling we were going to get everyone in trouble playing with a ni$$@£ boy. Then suddenly an old man comes out of nowhere and yanks that boy up by the arm and throws him into the back of a pickup truck. It seemed for some strang reason this AA boy was with this old white man. I may have to ask my folks why the boy was with him, but it seemed he worked with this old man. I'm guessing he was about 8 or so.

So this old man is very upset this kid is playing with us and that the neighbor lady is making such a commotion. So the old man takes off real fast with this kid in the back of this truck with an old very heavy refrigerator in the back. As the truck lunges forward the refrigerator falls on this kid! My mom is very upset and is screaming for the truck to stop but the old man just keeps going.

Mom didn't know what to do, she wanted to go to the laundry so she could call the police, but all the neighbors told her she was making a big deal about it, because after all it was only a ni@@&$ boy. They had her convinced the cops would not help out at all. In all truthfulness They probably wouldn't.

When dad got home that night mom said she wanted to move back to Oklahoma. Dad talked to his foreman and he got a job back in Oklahoma working up in the panhandle, mom thought it was much better there than Georgia.

We are always debating on here if Oklahoma is southern or something else. I asked dad last year if he thought Oklahoma was southern, he said "no, this place is nothing like the South"
Thanks for sharing that story, Okie. It was tough to read anticipating something bad was going to happen to the little boy. Racism is so ugly, shameful, and downright evil. And be rest assured, if those evil people weren't judged and held accountable in this life for their atrocious actions they most certainly will be judged in the next life.

And I'm with your Daddy on this one: if racism is THE overriding trait (obviously it's not the only trait but for argument's sake let's say it is...) of what makes a place Southern then I hope Oklahoma is never again uttered in the same breath with the South.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 03-22-2015 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Thanks for sharing that story, Okie. It was tough to read anticipating something bad was going to happen to the little boy. Racism is so ugly, shameful, and downright evil. And be rest assured, if those evil people weren't judged and held accountable in this life for their atrocious actions they most certainly will be judged in the next life.

And I'm with your Daddy on this one: if racism is THE overriding trait (obviously it's not the only trait but for argument's sake let's say it is...) of what makes a place Southern then I hope Oklahoma is never again uttered in the same breath with the South.
I think that the racism was so bad in the deep South, that it gained so much attention, people really came around to how ugly it was. I think if this same scenario were to happen again, the neighbors would've stepped in and stop that guy. So that being said, I think we can put Oklahoma back in the South category again. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City