Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 6,697 times

Advertisements

I lived in Oklahoma City for 4 years. I've been gone for 10 years. I accepted a job in 2002 and moved there without knowing anything about the place. I'm black and what I can say is that I never experienced any "in my face" bigot behavior. I'm sure there are/were some extreme bigots there because my boss who was white, would warn me about certain people and places. I always appreciated him for that. He had a small group of lifelong friends (all white) that I hung around from time to time and they made me feel accepted into their circle. There were a couple of them who's energy I didn't like and I figured that they didn't like black people but there was never any problems. I always had a good time with them. I hated living there but what I can't take away from it was overall how many really good people that I encountered. There was an exception and it was mentioned in a previous comment. The christian conservative types. I observed them to be very intolerant and closed minded toward other belief systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semporer View Post
I lived in Oklahoma City for 4 years. I've been gone for 10 years. I accepted a job in 2002 and moved there without knowing anything about the place. I'm black and what I can say is that I never experienced any "in my face" bigot behavior. I'm sure there are/were some extreme bigots there because my boss who was white, would warn me about certain people and places. I always appreciated him for that. He had a small group of lifelong friends (all white) that I hung around from time to time and they made me feel accepted into their circle. There were a couple of them who's energy I didn't like and I figured that they didn't like black people but there was never any problems. I always had a good time with them. I hated living there but what I can't take away from it was overall how many really good people that I encountered. There was an exception and it was mentioned in a previous comment. The christian conservative types. I observed them to be very intolerant and closed minded toward other belief systems.
Appreciate the reasoned response from someone who would know. That is how I see it as well.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:02 AM

108 posts, read 120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2dopes View Post
Avoid this state at all costs if you're a educated person.
I have never lived in Oklahoma and I think this is completely unfair. If it weren't for the educated people at the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Norman, OK you wouldn't know whether a tornado was headed for your ass. Talk about a foolish generalization. Similar sized cities of similar distance to OKC have a greater population of higher educated people than counterparts in the Bay Area of California.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:12 AM

108 posts, read 120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffersondodkins View Post
I’m an educated white male with a Master’s degree in international Business.
Most of the working class/low class/poor uneducated whites have this type of mentality In Oklahoma. You can easily point them out and categorize them like this
1. Evangelicals, right wingers, fanatics, fundamentalists, pseudo Christians, neo-conservatives,Cults
2. Anti government
3. Anti interracial dating, marriage, sex
4. Pro guns, pro family
5. Welfare abusers or even anti welfare
6. Racists, sexists, and fascists,
7. Uneducated (meaning never completing a Bachelors or higher degree)
8. Getting married and having a kid is the most important thing to them in life.
9. They tend to glamourize and make a big deal about labor jobs such as truck driving, construction workers, oil field laborers, crane, trash operators.
10. Football and wrestling junkies
11. Drama, always trying to get friends/family involved in their personal life and has to let the whole world know who they’re dating or marrying.
12. Been married more than once
13. Has children from many different partners.
And your master's degree and liberal values taught you how to "easily point them out and categorize them?" WOW if that doesn't sound hugely prejudice! So you mean to tell me your master's degree taught you all about how to label people you know nothing about? "Married more than once." That's the best one. Are you talking about people who chose divorce or people who lost their spouse to death, or are you just generally spouting *******ry? Why did you waste your money on a master's degree? Note how I've correctly typed master's degree four times now without caps. And I managed to do this with my bachelor's degree!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
I concur with this.

I don't think racism is that big of an issue in Oklahoma City proper. Rural Oklahoma may be a different story, but there is much less racial tension in OKC than many other Southern cities. Most of the racist/white supremacist stuff you'll see here will be at the capitol and its usually people who come in from the rural areas to put on a demonstration.

The bigger issue in OKC is the fundamentalist evangelical culture. A very large percentage of the population here is very set on imposing their belief system on everyone and are very intolerant to anybody who doesn't share it, especially secular humanists, progressive Democrats, and the LGBT population.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Quote:
There was an exception and it was mentioned in a previous comment. The christian conservative types. I observed them to be very intolerant and closed minded toward other belief systems.
Since you mentioned a group as being closed minded, perhaps it's you who is closed minded. Here you are, singling them out as being intolerant. What did YOU do to include them in your circle? What have YOU done to be tolerant of their beliefs? Are they here being critical of you? No. But you're here being critical of them. Perhaps YOU are the problem.

I believe there's a Religion forum here. Are there Christians there bashing you? Probably not, but here you are........

Old 06-10-2016, 06:05 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyspring View Post
I have never lived in Oklahoma and I think this is completely unfair. If it weren't for the educated people at the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Norman, OK you wouldn't know whether a tornado was headed for your ass. Talk about a foolish generalization. Similar sized cities of similar distance to OKC have a greater population of higher educated people than counterparts in the Bay Area of California.
I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. The Bay Area has an education issue? Human anatomy?

Old 06-11-2016, 05:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Dumbest thread on the Oklahoma forum (and there are some dumb ones like some of the cultural/locational discussions which are not accurate).

Racist Oklahoma Thread be gone! *poof*

Old 06-19-2016, 11:26 PM

8 posts, read 6,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Since you mentioned a group as being closed minded, perhaps it's you who is closed minded. Here you are, singling them out as being intolerant. What did YOU do to include them in your circle? What have YOU done to be tolerant of their beliefs? Are they here being critical of you? No. But you're here being critical of them. Perhaps YOU are the problem.

I believe there's a Religion forum here. Are there Christians there bashing you? Probably not, but here you are........

I see that I struck a nerve. You must be the type that I was referring to. Like I said, "I" didn't have a circle so it wasn't about me allowing anyone into "my circle." I wasn't a native so I got in where if fit in and I hung with whomever, wherever.

I'm not religious. I'm a live and let live type person so I really don't care. I never bashed anyone. It was an observation. My post wasn't offensive but here YOU are getting offended. Overall my experience in Oklahoma was positive but to keep from "bashing" anymore people, I'll keep the negative experiences to myself.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
This is a rather naïve question to build a thread on .

Of course there are racist people in Oklahoma .

I' ve been to almost every state in the United States of America , and there will always be racist there.

I have been to foreign countries and nowhere on the face of the Earth will you not find one racist.

If you allow RACISM TO VEX YOU , you will be vexed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City