Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
*EDIT, in response to Teakboat too*

"Evangelical" generally is applied to the Christians holding to a strong view of Scripture, i.e. the Bible is the Word of God.

Southern Baptists are the Evangelicals most often referenced in Oklahoma. There are Evangelicals of all stripes & colors from all denominations.
I realize Southern Baptists are called Evangelicals and believe it or not I know what it means. LOL I grew up in a Pentecostal home and knew Southern Baptists to be very staid and dignified in church. Oh, how I yearned to be there. Then there came a day when it turns out, my mother-in-law was Southern Baptist, a true woman from Hell, a devil in disguise married to a deacon. They had a cute little baby boy, an only child who grew up and married me. I was on the inside track. Oh, brother! (And now I lay me down to sleep and pray the Lord my soul to keep.....)

In Oklahoma people also ask if a person is a one quart Baptist or a two quart Baptist? (Which is in no way a reference to my former in-laws...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I realize Southern Baptists are called Evangelicals and believe it or not I know what it means. LOL I grew up in a Pentecostal home and knew Southern Baptists to be very staid and dignified in church. Oh, how I yearned to be there. Then there came a day when it turns out, my mother-in-law was Southern Baptist, a true woman from Hell, a devil in disguise married to a deacon. They had a cute little baby boy, an only child who grew up and married me. I was on the inside track. Oh, brother! (And now I lay me down to sleep and pray the Lord my soul to keep.....)

In Oklahoma people also ask if a person is a one quart Baptist or a two quart Baptist? (Which is in no way a reference to my former in-laws...)

Yes, like you I am under the firm conviction that mother-in-laws are of the devil!

I knew you knew what it meant, Rubi.

My response was for others, who may not know what it means. It seems like the term "Evangelical" appears to be very vague for many people in our day. It may have something to do with the way the media utilizes the term. Whatever the reason, many (even Southern Baptists and other Christians) do not know what the term means.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:20 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Bass, I knew you knew I knew. I always enjoy fun in the Oklahoma forum. I also agree 100% that ignorance is rife. I freely admit to not knowing everything.

Do ya think Redbird is in hiding?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:18 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Fundamentalist and Evangelical mean almost the same thing. Fundamentalists take the Bible literally (young earth creation, Noah's flood, etc) and evangelical means they place a strong emphasis on proselytizing. Political activism to legislate morality is also a huge aspect. In our culture, evangelicals are usually fundamentalists.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:27 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I was stationed at an Air Force base just outside Oklahoma City.

Lots of Black Airmen were stationed there, but they didn't live where the base was but lived in the Negro part of OKC.

Probably because they read the sign outside the base that said "Negro, don't let the sun set on you in Midwest City".

I am white, my girlfriend was Black/Cherokee. It was against the law for us to get married in Oklahoma so we drove to New Mexico.
I have done a lot of research on the subject because sadly Oklahoma had more "sundown towns" than just about any other state. However, I have never seen one reference to Midwest City being one of those towns.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, I just haven't seen any other reference to this.

I have always been interested in "Sundown Towns" because Oklahoma had so many of them. And the reason that Oklahoma had so many is the way the state was settled and the fact that Oklahoma is less African American as a percentage then any other southern state.

Even today there are some formerly "Sundown Towns" that don't have a black population. Cordell and Woodward come to mind.

While I don't think racism is an issue in Oklahoma any more than any other state, we certainly have a racist legacy in many ways. Sundown Towns probably being the most overt.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:24 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I have done a lot of research on the subject because sadly Oklahoma had more "sundown towns" than just about any other state. However, I have never seen one reference to Midwest City being one of those towns.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, I just haven't seen any other reference to this.

I have always been interested in "Sundown Towns" because Oklahoma had so many of them. And the reason that Oklahoma had so many is the way the state was settled and the fact that Oklahoma is less African American as a percentage then any other southern state.

Even today there are some formerly "Sundown Towns" that don't have a black population. Cordell and Woodward come to mind.

While I don't think racism is an issue in Oklahoma any more than any other state, we certainly have a racist legacy in many ways. Sundown Towns probably being the most overt.
Sundown towns are a sad part of Oklahoma's history. They are also something not particular to Oklahoma. Sundown towns were all over. In Georgia, there was an entire county where Blacks were chased out, Forsyth County. Now, Blacks can live there, but few Blacks feel comfortable moving there.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:29 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sundown towns are a sad part of Oklahoma's history. They are also something not particular to Oklahoma. Sundown towns were all over. In Georgia, there was an entire county where Blacks were chased out, Forsyth County. Now, Blacks can live there, but few Blacks feel comfortable moving there.
there are several Georgia counties that I have seen listed in the sundown town research. However there aren't that many sundown towns in the south as you would thinksimply because it was hard to find that many places that were completely devoid of slaves prior to emancipation.

While in Oklahoma we saw this phenomenon amongst the area where the 5 tribes had brought slaves with them, the rest of Oklahoma was pretty much settled by land run and lottery and blacks were sequestered to certain areas and made to feel unwelcome in others during the time of settlement. In the Oklahoma land run of 1889 it would appear that blacks were only welcome in OKC and Guthrie although they had their own settlements in Langston, in the area around Dover and in Greenpastures, and the area around Arcadia in eastern Oklahoma county. They tended to end up settling in land that was suited only for subsistence farming. Edmond, Norman, Moore, Yukon which were the early day settlements that were around OKC were all sundown towns.

It's interesting to note that OU integrated the University (Ada Sipuel Fisher in 1947) a full 20 years before the city of Norman had it's first black resident. And I believe that Norman did not relinquish it's sundown policy until 1965. By that time, the football and basketball teams at OU had several black players who were legally bound to be out of town by sundown. Strange.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

It is fascinating and equally sad all at the same time.

I remember one of my old buddies from Minco tellin' me some scary stories with that area regarding the lack of acceptance with African Americans. It's tragic, along with other Southern states, that Sundown Towns are part of Oklahoma's history.

I do wish that this thread would go away, however, as I think there are many people on City-Data ignorant enough to believe that Oklahoma is a very racist state to this day just because they see the title to the thread on the General Form main page.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:06 AM

95 posts, read 154,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I do wish that this thread would go away, however, as I think there are many people on City-Data ignorant enough to believe that Oklahoma is a very racist state to this day just because they see the title to the thread on the General Form main page.
THANK YOU for saying this.

I don't understand how this thread has gone on for so long. Oklahoma is realistically no more or less racist than any other state. Yes there is some history, but if you live in OKC or Tulsa (or Edmond, Norman, Moore, MWC, etc.. ) then you're going to be a drop of water in an ocean of people who frankly don't care who/what you are anyway! (take this in the best way possible)

Just find good people to be around and build a community. Make it as inclusive or as exclusive as it needs to be.

Frankly I've found that you'll have less barriers in life if you make yourself presentable while out in public, hold doors open for others, say "please" and "thank you", and smile. No reason why ethnicity, race, or skin color would prevent someone from doing these things.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:36 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Interesting thread. I have zero interest in Oklahoma but this thread was at the top of the new post section so for better or worse, I decided to read it.

Couple points that I found interesting. The Chicago guy who posted that Oklahoma was "very racist" stated it was so because of two instances. He was called a name when he worked at a car dealership and was told they only speak English at another place. These were his examples while stating he lived there for ten years. Really? That's very racist of a whole state? Ten years and stated he was subjected to two instances that were racist in tone. That happens in every state.

Let met tell you car salesman, dealers are called names all over the world. I've heard just as bad here in California. "We only speak English?" You don't think that happens all over this country? Again here in California that happens a lot. It doesn't happen all day all over the state but it does happen.

As for the lynchings, I don't know how you can use it as proof of racism of a State today. There was a poster that stated OK "had a lot of blood on their hands". Well, duh! Just about evry group of people, every nation does towards somebody.

Who lead the Nation with the Eugenics program?

Here's a quick quote for those unfamiliar
Quote:

Eugenics, the set of beliefs and practices which aims at improving the genetic quality of the human population[2][3] played a significant role in the history and culture of the United States prior to its involvement in World War II.[4]
Eugenics was practised in the United States many years before eugenics programs in Nazi Germany[5] and U.S. programs provided much of the inspiration for the latter.[6][7][8] Stefan Kühl has documented the consensus between Nazi race policies and those of eugenicists in other countries, including the United States, and points out that eugenicists understood Nazi policies and measures as the realization of their goals and demands.[9]
During the Progressive Era of the late 19th and early 20th century, eugenics was considered[by whom?] a method of preserving and improving the dominant groups in the population; it is now generally associated with racist and nativist elements[citation needed] (as the movement was to some extent a reaction to a change in emigration from Europe) rather than scientific genetics.
It wasn't the South or quasi south. It was California, New York and the like. You know those early twentieth century Progressives. Wait a minute. Where have I heard that before.

"I consider myself a modern day Progressive, going back to the Progressive Era" I model myself after the early twentieth century progressives."

Oh Hillary, There was a reason early twentieth century Progressives were destroyed in this country. They had the same positions as the Nazis.

Here's what Progressives did in that Era. More so here is What California Progressives did.
California's Eugenics History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CAK0Z9sxpA

So if you want to use lynchings of the past to persuade the conversation of racism today. California, wanted to wipe out the genetics of all you flawed Americans. "Orphans", "Lowlifes", "People that were undesirable".

How many hold those states responsible today for their deeds? You never hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City