Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
And many Indian kids were taken and placed in boarding schools -without- parental permission.

My father was 5 when some white people came out to his grandmother's and took him. His father and grandmother were not even TOLD until later. It was kidnapping. Some kids were punished severely in Boarding schoos for speaking their language, some even died. *There is a great film on Indian Boarding Schools, that I will try and find. It is heart wrenching.

Then when my father became an adult, there was the Indian Relocation project, wherein many young Indians were moved off reservations to L.A. Frisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, thereby removing THEIR children from their cultural heritage.

It is a part of our American history that few hear about.

A couple of years ago I took a History of Native Americans course towards my History degree. That was where I initially became interested in Oklahoma. Anyway, one of our required reading books was "Black Eagle Speaks" It's actually written by Black Eagle (dictated to the co-author). It's a very moving book. If you have an interest in Native American History, it's a good one to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
The book is Black Elk Speaks, not Black Eagle, or is that Black Hawk? lol.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Everyone has to memorize the lyrics to Oklahoma to be an Okie.

Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Oklahoma,
Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin' lazy circles in the sky.
We know we belong to the land
And the land we belong to is grand!
And when we say
Yeeow! Ayipioeeay!
We're only sayin'
You're doin' fine,
Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K.

I like it better when the ending goes O K L A H O M A Oklahoma!
Thanks Peggy, I've never actually heard it all the way through...
Gonna have to get me a copy.

So is that something all Okies have to learn the same way Texans need to know "The stars at night, are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!"

I've actually started the first line at a party with 2 Texan students, and they DID finish it... Just like in the PeeWee Herman movie.

That was pretty funny.

M.

P.S. Hey Colleen, we'all better git a' learnin' that tune or they'll kick us out!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, you have to give up rooting for Ohio State and become assimilated with the Sooner Nation...
And start associating OSU with Oklahoma State, not Ohio State. And always be for the Sooner Nation except when it's playing against Oklahoma State. Then you're for the underdog--Oklahoma State!

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-28-2007 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 03:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisan View Post
Back to the idea of moving to Oklahoma. I think it's a great idea for others to move here! After all, unless you're native american, we are all "transplants" to some degree. (whether it be first or tenth generation) So for that reason, I think it's a bad idea for us lifetime okies to get our feathers ruffled when someone moves in down the road and buys that 80 acres we've had our eye on for years (expecting to pay reasonable prices for it and seeing it sell for way above market price).

If someone wants to sell their California one-acre ranch and come here with their proceeds and purchase a one-hundred acre farm that's fine by me. What is not fine by me; however, is to bring the "california tree-hugging" mentality with them. If someone comes from another state or geographic area to become an "okie", they need to accept the dead cars on blocks in my front yard when they get here.

Once again, I'll restate it. I think this is the best possible place in the world to raise my family and I'm glad others choose to do so. Just let me live the way I was living before you moved here and don't expect me to become something you used to be.
Those with "california tree-hugging" mentalities are probably more welcomed to come to other towns in Oklahoma to live, such as Stillwater, where it's against the law to prop your car up on blocks or in some way making your car look abandoned in your yard. To avoid a notice from the city, it helps to keep the rear tag on your vehicle up to date and tires up.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And start associating OSU with Oklahoma State, not Ohio State.
Ohio was never an option, even though the price was right... It's a communist state from the little I've seen... (See their gun laws and more....)
Regardless of my client who thinks it's better than NH.

OSU means Oklahoma State University to me!

M.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Those with "california tree-hugging" mentalities are probably more welcomed to come to other towns in Oklahoma to live, such as Stillwater, where it's against the law to prop your car up on blocks or in some way making your car look abandoned in your yard. To avoid a notice from the city, it helps to keep the rear tag on your vehicle up to date and tires up.
While I'm not a big fan of cars up on blocks, it IS your right to do so on your property.

I live in the "Live Free Or Die" state (NH), and they seem to be forgetting that lately...
(Not that I have cars up on blocks, but I DO believe in your right to do what you like on your property...)

So, Stillwater still sticks up for the rights of individuals?
Just asking because I'm an NH guy looking to relocate to that general vicinity.
Didn't think that attitude would exist in a "college" area.
I'm told that as far as OK goes, that area is pretty liberal...
(Care to correct me?)

M.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
As much as I'm for individual rights, if you've got your lawn filled with cars on blocks and engine blocks hanging from trees I think you're also infringing on the rights of others that want a certain look to the neighborhood. Imagine buying a 250K house and someone moves in next door and starts doing that very thing (trashing the yard). I think I'd have something to say about that.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
As much as I'm for individual rights, if you've got your lawn filled with cars on blocks and engine blocks hanging from trees I think you're also infringing on the rights of others that want a certain look to the neighborhood. Imagine buying a 250K house and someone moves in next door and starts doing that very thing (trashing the yard). I think I'd have something to say about that.
You're somewhat right, I haven't seen that exact situation yet and hope not to... (That's not exactly what the poster said...)
But you're mileage may vary...
(Although, Ron Paul's opinion may disagree with that...)

M.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 11-28-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Alot of people from out west that have moved or are planning to move here, have already been here. Those who haven't only think of 3 thing when Ok, comes to mind. Flat land, The Dust Bowl, and Tornado Alley. and lose interest.
Alot of the big building going on out west, mostly Ca. is Gov, Inc. meaning, Redevelopment and Eminent Domain. And noone wants that here, believe me. My community meeting, with me as a Distric Committee member, fought it for years. \Our Distric Representative was Pro- Population Growth and was trying to "annex" every small piece of the county as possible, onto the city of San Bernardino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma