Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
We could, but we won't, thanks to the fact that we still have some decent minded urban planners running around Omaha.
Really? Who knew? Based on some of the stupid things done lately I wouldn't have thought so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM

135 posts, read 548,327 times
Moving the library would be an unmitigated disaster. As a former Omahan who lived in the city in the mid-late 60's, I've noticed with pleasure the rebirth of the riverfront downtown area (still miss Brandeis, though). A major library should be an anchor for other historical/cultural sites.

There probably do need to be new branches to account for the westward sprawl. In the early 60's, crossroads (72 & Dodge) was pretty much the end of town. Then Westroads. Now it is Elkhorn

Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Really? Who knew? Based on some of the stupid things done lately I wouldn't have thought so.
What stupid things?

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What stupid things?
the stadium is a big one.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
the stadium is a big one.
It's "stupid" because suburbanites like yourself don't like it, but it's actually excellent urban planning.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It's "stupid" because suburbanites like yourself don't like it, but it's actually excellent urban planning.
according to you. There are a lot of people in Omaha that would disagree.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
according to you. There are a lot of people in Omaha that would disagree.
It's not something that is really subjective. There are quantifiable ways to measure the impact of good urban planning, and public opinion isn't one of them. TDA Park is an example. It's not even completed yet and has spurned more significant development than Rosenblatt...which is a poor example...did in 40 years.

I understand you people were emotionally attached to Rosenblatt, but you seriously need to look past it and realize that getting Omaha's biggest sporting event into downtown was the best move anyone could have possibly made.

I also touched on this in another thread, but I have to laugh at the people who still think they had public opinion on their side regarding the stadium issue. You would think they would get the point after their well publicized recall effort failed to get even 20% of the signatures required, but even to this day the "Recall Fahey" group believes they held the high ground.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Quote:
We could, but we won't, thanks to the fact that we still have some decent minded urban planners running around Omaha.
We may but sadly it is not up to them. From my understanding it is up to the library board and director, and I hear the director WANTS this to happen.

Quite simply the main civic buildings belong in the downtown of a city. If a branch is wanted at the mall the build a branch and leave the main library downtown.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
It's not something that is really subjective. There are quantifiable ways to measure the impact of good urban planning, and public opinion isn't one of them. TDA Park is an example. It's not even completed yet and has spurned more significant development than Rosenblatt...which is a poor example...did in 40 years.

I understand you people were emotionally attached to Rosenblatt, but you seriously need to look past it and realize that getting Omaha's biggest sporting event into downtown was the best move anyone could have possibly made.

I also touched on this in another thread, but I have to laugh at the people who still think they had public opinion on their side regarding the stadium issue. You would think they would get the point after their well publicized recall effort failed to get even 20% of the signatures required, but even to this day the "Recall Fahey" group believes they held the high ground.
"you people"? lol...ok.

I was as much a proponent as anyone to a new stadium until I realized it would only be used for 15 days a year and we could have secured the CWS here w/out it. Honestly...you need to stop making sweeping assumptions. You people are tiring.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Quote:
"you people"? lol...ok.

I was as much a proponent as anyone to a new stadium until I realized it would only be used for 15 days a year and we could have secured the CWS here w/out it. Honestly...you need to stop making sweeping assumptions. You people are tiring.
#1, it will be used for more than 15 days a year. We have the nighthawks playing there as well as Creighton I belive.

#2, We could have have secured the cws but for how long? With the new stadium we secured the cws for 25 YEARS! Also rosenblatt was getting a bit old and we could have lost the cws in the future to another city without the new stadium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: