Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,102,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I dont have problem with bars in benson or people having fun.
Then why the constant complaining about it?

Quote:
first off, there are 15-20 bars in benson, that is over-saturation of a business.
Benson has turned into a thriving night life spot, and with that comes bars. Would anyone really want to go back to the late 80's and early 90's when Benson was a nice but drab part of town? I sure wouldn't.

By the way, if you have a problem with the number of bars, why aren't you complaining about Downtown? Tons of bars down there.

Quote:
a little more business diversity in benson would be nice. not everyone in benson is a drunk or hipster.

a grocery store or a dollar tree or a movie theatre like dundee in benson would nice. not everyone in benson is a drunk or hipster
Let the record show that you celebrated the closing of Benson's locally owned grocery store. Also, I repeatedly showed to you the business diversity in Benson, which is arguably the best in the city. What more could you want there? There are something like five grocery stores within a 2 mile radius of Benson's core. A theater is just not going to happen so you might as well forget that one.

Quote:
second, i dont drink. alcohol is not my thing
Maybe you should start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,553,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Then why the constant complaining about it?

Benson has turned into a thriving night life spot, and with that comes bars. Would anyone really want to go back to the late 80's and early 90's when Benson was a nice but drab part of town? I sure wouldn't.

By the way, if you have a problem with the number of bars, why aren't you complaining about Downtown? Tons of bars down there.

Let the record show that you celebrated the closing of Benson's locally owned grocery store. Also, I repeatedly showed to you the business diversity in Benson, which is arguably the best in the city. What more could you want there? There are something like five grocery stores within a 2 mile radius of Benson's core. A theater is just not going to happen so you might as well forget that one.

Maybe you should start.

my complaint is other than the bars, there is nothing else to do in benson.

I btw dont complain about downtown, cause downtown is bigger and has more business diversity (unlike benson)

also, Downtown has the baseball stadium and a movie theatre and many places like Jazz Kitchen and Jimmy John's and Sullivan 's

so comparing downtown to benson, is like comparing 30th and ames to village pointe.

my complaint about Louis Market was they were ripping off their customers.

I celebrated them closing cause they deserved to under for over-charging 2 to 3 times as much as No Frills or Bakers or Hy-Vee or Fareway or Bag N save

maybe if Louis Market didnt rip their customers off and was fair about their prices, more people would have shopped there.

I still think a reasonably priced grocery store should go into the old louis market

as for me and I should take up drinking, I gotta ask why?

not everyone in omaha does booze or drugs. and there is more to life than quelling inner-pain by getting drunk all the time like many do.

business diversity in benson? what a joke that is. The Business Diversity in Benson is a bunch of propaganda to shut up those who actually live in benson and want real business diversity.

the fact is: there is no shopping or real business in benson outside the bars and Walgreens and Subway

and the few places that arent bars in benson are either tattoo parlors or places that sell junk the goodwill wouldnt take.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 07-22-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM

btw, u say that having a grocery store in the old louis market would be oversaturation

so, why is a grocery store in benson 's old louis market = over-saturation

but 15-20 bars in benson isnt?

I mean, u cant pick and choose what counts as over-saturation without it being across the board.

I mean, what is wrong with

if it is good to have 15-20 bars within 6 blocks of each other, what is wrong with another grocery store in a within 2 mile area surrounding or inside the benson area.

I mean, if 15-20 bars dont count as over-saturation, why cant 6 grocery stores not count as over-saturation also.

Or is it that it is okay to flood benson with nothing booze places (u know make Benson area the Omaha version of Whiteclay or something)

Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
my complaint is other than the bars, there is nothing else to do in benson.

I btw dont complain about downtown, cause downtown is bigger and has more business diversity (unlike benson)

also, Downtown has the baseball stadium and a movie theatre and many places like Jazz Kitchen and Jimmy John's and Sullivan 's

so comparing downtown to benson, is like comparing 30th and ames to village pointe.
What else would you want to do? Obviously, not every little section of town can have there own major attractions. Benson's specialty happens to be nightlife and live music.

Quote:
my complaint about Louis Market was they were ripping off their customers.

I celebrated them closing cause they deserved to under for over-charging 2 to 3 times as much as No Frills or Bakers or Hy-Vee or Fareway or Bag N save

maybe if Louis Market didnt rip their customers off and was fair about their prices, more people would have shopped there.
How do you know they were ripping off customers? That's a pretty serious accusation. And of course you'll spend more in a local place, they don't have the profit margins that a nationwide chain would (WalMart can blow me).

Quote:
I still think a reasonably priced grocery store should go into the old louis market
Then why hasn't one opened up there? Either the people who make those decisions think you're wrong or you're seeing a huge opportunity and letting it slip by.

Quote:
as for me and I should take up drinking, I gotta ask why?

not everyone in omaha does booze or drugs. and there is more to life than quelling inner-pain by getting drunk all the time like many do.
I get it. You only see two extreme sides. You're either totally abstinent and pure or you're an alcoholic/addict.

Personally, I love going out, having a few beers or shots, getting a good buzz going and socializing with people.

Quote:
business diversity in benson? what a joke that is. The Business Diversity in Benson is a bunch of propaganda to shut up those who actually live in benson and want real business diversity.

the fact is: there is no shopping or real business in benson outside the bars and Walgreens and Subway

and the few places that arent bars in benson are either tattoo parlors or places that sell junk the goodwill wouldnt take.
I showed you that tour of Benson that Omababe's blog did a few years back. There was a boatload of different businesses just on the main corridor. Now I understand a few of those have succumbed to the economic troubles, but others are still there.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What else would you want to do? Obviously, not every little section of town can have there own major attractions. Benson's specialty happens to be nightlife and live music.

How do you know they were ripping off customers? That's a pretty serious accusation. And of course you'll spend more in a local place, they don't have the profit margins that a nationwide chain would (WalMart can blow me).

Then why hasn't one opened up there? Either the people who make those decisions think you're wrong or you're seeing a huge opportunity and letting it slip by.

I get it. You only see two extreme sides. You're either totally abstinent and pure or you're an alcoholic/addict.

Personally, I love going out, having a few beers or shots, getting a good buzz going and socializing with people.

I showed you that tour of Benson that Omababe's blog did a few years back. There was a boatload of different businesses just on the main corridor. Now I understand a few of those have succumbed to the economic troubles, but others are still there.

why did they succumb to economic troubles?

and did this happen while Obama and Suttle was in office?

over-saturation of bars and no one other than drunks came into benson area perhaps?

and what is wrong with being "abstinent and pure". sometimes, it's hip to be square, u know.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
btw, u say that having a grocery store in the old louis market would be oversaturation
I didn't say that. I said there were several (six, IIRC) in a two mile radius of Downtown Benson. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
so, why is a grocery store in benson 's old louis market = over-saturation

but 15-20 bars in benson isnt?
Easy. The market can clearly support 15-20 bars.

Quote:
I mean, u cant pick and choose what counts as over-saturation without it being across the board.
Actually, you can.

Market saturation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grocery stores and bars are not the same, and thus a certain area can support more of one than the other. Also, you have to remember that the bars and music venues in Benson attract people from all over the metro. People will drive from West Omaha and Council Bluffs to go to see music in Benson, but they won't do that to go grocery shopping.

Quote:
I mean, what is wrong with

if it is good to have 15-20 bars within 6 blocks of each other, what is wrong with another grocery store in a within 2 mile area surrounding or inside the benson area.

I mean, if 15-20 bars dont count as over-saturation, why cant 6 grocery stores not count as over-saturation also.
Nothing wrong with it at all. The only problem is that...as I said previously...the people who make the decisions about where to open grocery stores obviously don't feel that Benson is currently a viable area for such an expenditure. I seriously doubt they're sitting back in their boardrooms saying "Well...yeah, we could make a lot of money in Benson, but that would make Billie happy and I don't like that guy so we're going to hold out".

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
why did they succumb to economic troubles?
While I can't speak specifically about any individual business, generally speaking businesses tend to fail because they didn't make enough money.

Quote:
and did this happen while Obama and Suttle was in office?
Yes. Are you insinuating that they are to blame for this? I hope not, because I'd hate to have to remind you that the recession was already happening at the end of George W. Bush's term and a vast majority of economists (regardless of their political leanings) will tell you that the stimulus Obama pushed through did anything from softening the effects of a major recession to outright stopping the destruction of the global economy. I'd also have to point out that as the mayor of a city, Jim Suttle was at the mercy of national economics.

Quote:
over-saturation of bars and no one other than drunks came into benson area perhaps?
That doesn't really make sense. Some of those business lasted for years, long before the Benson revitalization. Are you suggesting that Benson attracting more attention, more patrons and by proxy; more money, is what caused those businesses to fail?

Quote:
and what is wrong with being "abstinent and pure". sometimes, it's hip to be square, u know.
If it works for you, cool. I couldn't think of anything more boring, however.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 AM

906 posts, read 1,812,855 times
In Adam Smith’s “An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations“, he talks about how production/business in an area is just a reflection of what the consumers want. What the Benson consumers want are bars, smoking, littering, and tattoos. The only way to change the kind of businesses in Benson is to radically change the makeup of the residents. Good luck doing that.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
In Adam Smith’s “An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations“, he talks about how production/business in an area is just a reflection of what the consumers want. What the Benson consumers want are bars, smoking, littering, and tattoos. The only way to change the kind of businesses in Benson is to radically change the makeup of the residents. Good luck doing that.
most people in benson dont go to the bars.

btw, most of the drunks at benson bars are people from other parts of town.

so, to say this is what the benson area wants is laughable. it is what Festersen and some dubious friends of his want for benson.

and if Festersen and his ilk cared about benson, why is Benson a ghost town during the day?

or is benson only catering to the "vampire" crowd (i.e. people who only come to benson at night time

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Bosco, Obama in 2013 inherited Obama in 2009 's govt. financial problems so yes, I blame Obama for our bad economy

Obama has 4 years to do something and result: Detroit being bankrupt(cause detroit btw has a 1 party system for decades) as will likely many cities under his admin. between now and Jan. 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: