Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
You totally left out Dodge to Leavenworth -- the very neighborhood that you would have this young lady walking through to get to and from the campus.
Ok.

Once again, very little crime over 1 month time span and pretty much limited to petty crimes like vandalism, bar fights and shoplifting.

And once again I ask (since you ignored it the first time), how often do you hear about crime in downtown on the news? In the last year I can remember exactly 3 news stories.

Quote:
People who don't want to deal with the humanoids will come to the same conclusion-- that area of town is a SCHITHOLE!
Let's have a test. Let's see which part of town (West Omaha or Downtown) has more rapes, burglaries and murders.

Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
My brother and sister both live downtown. Neither has ever experienced a crime. Yeah we joke about it but nothing has ever happened to them.
Of course not, and that's because Omaha is a very safe part of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
I bet they live in Riverfront Condo's with underground indoor parking with access control doors, CCTV systems, door man, well lighted sidewalks and perimeter.
You just described 90% of downtown apartments and condos.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is the area around Creighton and DT is a toilet. Day or night it's just plain bad.
Provide proof, because the stats don't lie.

Here's a start. See if you can find the ****ty areas.

Omaha Forums :: View topic - Unseen Downtown

Omaha Forums :: View topic - Downtown from the Landmark Center (MORE PICS ADDED 8-18)

Omaha Forums :: View topic - Downtown Condo Tour 2007 by brad

People? Downtown? Impossible! - SkyscraperPage Forum

Omaha Forums :: View topic - A few around Downtown

Omaha Forums :: View topic - A few around Downtown

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=downtown+omaha&m=tags&z=e (broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/upcoming%3Aevent%3D701151/interesting/ (broken link)

Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,255 times

There is a reason why they need so much protection, high crime area.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:

There is a reason why they need so much protection, high crime area.
Wrong.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM

152 posts, read 364,847 times
I don't see vandalism as something that is so easily dismissed. Who wants to have their car stolen, smashed up or tagged? Perhaps you deem that area of town as perfectly safe, but it is not as safe as Southwest Omaha by far. Why? Because trouble-makers stick out like a sore thumb so most crimes get solved.

Let's face it, the propencity for crime has an inverse relationship with the proximity to Northeast Omaha. Even the spotty "good neighborhoods" that the artsy libs pat themselves on the back for enjoying have more spill-over crime for the mere fact that they are closer to where the humanoids live.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones View Post
I don't see vandalism as something that is so easily dismissed. Who wants to have their car stolen, smashed up or tagged?
Car thefts are listed separately from vandalism on that map.

And I'm not dismissing vandalism, but it's not a crime that is justification for calling an area "unsafe". That would be things like burglary, sexual assaults/rape, felony assault...etc. Those crimes are very, very rare in downtown, especially the area immediately surrounding Creighton.

Quote:
Perhaps you deem that area of town as perfectly safe, but it is not as safe as Southwest Omaha by far. Why? Because trouble-makers stick out like a sore thumb so most crimes get solved.
Southwest Omaha isn't all sunshine and kittens. They have their fair share of crimes.

Quote:
Let's face it, the propencity for crime has an inverse relationship with the proximity to Northeast Omaha.
I think it has more to do with simple population density, but yes, there is more crime in the gang ridden parts of North Omaha (proper)

Quote:
Even the spotty "good neighborhoods" that the artsy libs pat themselves on the back for enjoying have more spill-over crime for the mere fact that they are closer to where the humanoids live.
Oh God, do we really need to bring politics into this?

Anyways, I can only assume you're talking about places like Dundee, Gold Coast, and Raven Oaks (all of which are nicer than most of West Omaha). Do they get some spill over? Sometimes, but very rarely. Certainly not enough to ever persuade me to live some place else.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:51 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wrong.

I give up Welcome to "Big Rock Candy Omaha".

YouTube - Rock Candy Mountain

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I give up
Are you going to give us that photo essay about all the horrible parts of Omaha before you leave?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Quote:
I bet they live in Riverfront Condo's with underground indoor parking with access control doors, CCTV systems, door man, well lighted sidewalks and perimeter.

I know they have not ever experienced any crime.

The fact of the matter is the area around Creighton and DT is a toilet. Day or night it's just plain bad.
Nope. Opus.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,944 times
It's not that bad. I drove down 16th on Friday and only saw 2 people laying half on the curb and half in the street looking all tweaked out on meth. That's not too bad. I didn't feel like I was endangered. Maybe it was a slow day.

I saw 3 people in my own neighborhood last night stealing rocks from our landscaped round-a-bout. I called the police, but they arrived too late to catch them in action. Next time, I might have to do a citizens arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha