Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 PM

231 posts, read 813,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
There old school newport of families that have been there for many generations who tend to be genuine, gregarious and generous. These are the people you want to find and hang out with. They accept you on your merit and character, not which car your drive or what you have in your financial portfolio.

The there is new money newport. You find these people living in Newport Coast. They tend to be Insular, cliquish and snobby.

At the bottom end of the totem pole are the over leveraged "30k-a-year-millionaires". Leased Mercedes. Generally jackanapes and poseurs.

The best way to view these different types of people is to visit Blackies on the Beach on a friday or Saturday night. The locals will already be their (and close the place down). Then the Coasties come, stay for an Hour or so, followed by the obnoxious wannabees.
are you native to SoCal? never heard a native say the words jackanapes, coasties or $30K-a-year millionaires (i know what this means)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
are you native to SoCal? never heard a native say the words jackanapes, coasties or $30K-a-year millionaires (i know what this means)
Grew up in NY. Been in CA for over 22 years. these words/phrases are common within my group of friends.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 19,691 times
SO what is the verdict OP... Did you move!!

I am from Michigan as well.. and just landed a job in Newport at Hoag Hospital... I been debating the same as you. Ahhh I dont know if I should take it or not!

Did you go? DO you like it? Do you regret going/not going?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM

123 posts, read 259,965 times
As someone who is over 40 and only moved here just last year, most of this seems true. The women truly are the most money-hungry bunch in So Cal. In fact, I find it amusing that when you meet one, they not only want to know what city you live in but WHERE in that city. So telling them you live in Newport is always followed by "Where in Newport do you live?"

As for myself, I used to live in the South Bay. Although it's not as pretty as Newport, it has a pretty good social scene if you're young like the OP. What bothered me about that area: Manhattan, Hermosa, and North Redondo, is that it's not very nice to look at. There are hardly any trees and nobody has a front lawn. It's all concrete everywhere you look. Orange County is a lot more green and pretty to look at and Newport is the best example of this. It truly is a beautiful place to live and for that reason, I'm glad I moved.

But yeah...as a single guy myself who doesn't own his own yaught, I'm growing frustrated with the dating scene. It seems there's not as many singles over 30 out here as there are in the South Bay or LA unless you count the 40+ cougars which prowl around the Newport bars. So OP...know this if you decide to come out here. IMO, it's a better place to live if you're rich and single or you already have a girlfriend/wife.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 AM

101 posts, read 283,496 times
Quote:
There old school newport of families that have been there for many generations who tend to be genuine, gregarious and generous. These are the people you want to find and hang out with. They accept you on your merit and character, not which car your drive or what you have in your financial portfolio.
I agree with this. There are a LOT of those "salt of the earth" type people in Newport. The only way that Newport is ever stuffy or snobby is when people that have bought the stereotype are there and think that they need to be that way to "fit in".

Old 06-21-2012, 04:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Quote:
Then the Coasties come, stay for an Hour or so, followed by the obnoxious wannabees.
I googled "coasties" and found a colorful definition on uncyclopedia. I finally understand now why they wear those big sunglasses.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I googled "coasties" and found a colorful definition on uncyclopedia. I finally understand now why they wear those big sunglasses.
Wow that is a great definition, some good laughs but honestly very true, especially the North Face obsession.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM

62 posts, read 251,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac8487 View Post

I am from Michigan as well.. and just landed a job in Newport at Hoag Hospital... I been debating the same as you. Ahhh I dont know if I should take it or not!

I have not yet moved to Newport. I'm going to be staying with my sister and explore the area before I commit to it (she lives in Orange). It really is a beautiful place, if you have not yet visited you should. When the entire country was getting hit with this 100 degree heat wave, Newport Beach was rocking a high of 72 degrees

Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac8487 View Post

Are you a nurse? Hoag is a great hospital. Rn wages and sharing a place will help both finances and your social life. Hard to afford living by yourself in that area unless you are making more than rns are started at..

Maybe getting a temporary non leased type living. Maybe even a room. Then you can take sometime looking around.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM

415 posts, read 615,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
If you are going to Newport Beach to date, then don't be surprised to find gold diggers. They are everywhere actually, just make sure you know how to smoke them out before you get taken. Also make sure you know how to say, "no" to a woman. A fool and his money are soon parted is the saying and that's especially true out here.

The main thing you need to learn about women in the OC is that they are very anti-social in a dating scene since there is usually alot of competition. If you can't go up and approach a woman in a club/bar scene then dating here will be very difficult (since 99% of women will NEVER approach a guy in that setting). The only exception is older women going after younger men, lol.

After going to other parts of the country/world I would say OC dating is very difficult. Other places i've been to, the women (even young good looking ones) will outright walk up to you and start chatting you up. Its the exact opposite in the OC.

Good luck.
Yes, yes, they are everywhere, and they don't always look like the ones I'm used to being from Vegas (which also has a lot of gold diggers). I'm a woman and I'm new to OC, and I cannot believe the attitude of the women down in Newport. There is a mindset that regardless of how the woman looks, she is entitled to a boytoy to will buy her many toys and spoil her rotten so she doesn't have to work ever. I met a woman a month ago who I could have sworn was more down to earth - she dresses down to earth, and acts like a normal person - until you talk to her about men. She expects her man to lavish gifts on her. When I told her that I saved up and slaved away to get my designer handbag that I was carrying that day, she looked at me and said "well, I am going to ask my boyfriend to take me to their boutique and buy me a handbag like that." In other words, her man must buy her a $2000 handbag just for the privilege of dating her. I've met many friends here but most of them are from out of state or they are from other parts of California. I'm very down to earth and would not expect a man to buy me expensive things just because we are dating.

The men are just as icky. I can always tell if a man is native or has adopted the habits of the locals in Newport. The first words out of his mouth upon meeting me will be along the lines of "I have a [fill in degree here] from [fill in college here] I make [put impressive salary here] and drive a [put in name of fancy sports car here] and live here in Newport, with a fantastic view of the back bay!" All that before I even know their name. I run, and run fast from those men.

Newport is a lousy place to find someone. There are down to earth people here, but a lot of the time we get ignored. Both men and women want the shinies.

I only go to Newport Beach these days if a bunch of friends are coming along. And I expect nothing from the place, I find most of the men trashy and not date worthy and most of the women materialistic, insecure and shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County