Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 19,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
My accident was 36 years ago! It was a trauma center then....plus I was a block away!,
At one time oc had. Many many more trauma centers than now. Til the hospitals realized how much money they were losing!,

Now we have maybe 3 official trauma centers. Times have changed!

Again. You will love hoag. It is a great hospital with a great reputation. They last year opened a second location. Hoag irvine. And many outpatient facilities. Both primary and urgent care.
Thanks for that insight..

See, the thing Im worried about, is coming from the area where I am now compared to Newport. I work Downtown Detroit in a Trauma center. It is a large, inner city hospital where I take care of many impoverished people. When I get any "wealthy people" in there, they always seem SOOOO demanding! "I want this, give me this, how much time for this, Im tired of waiting, etc."

Giving Newport is $$$$, and there are basically NO impoverished people there, I really wonder what most of the patients are going to be like. I have this fear that just because they have a ton of money they feel the need to demand things THEIR way RIGHT NOW.. Just an experience I have had in comparison...

And in terms of the topic of this board, the dating scene, when I was there there were TONS of younger people! Like, TONS... All down Balboa and the Peninsula. I saw pictures from 4th of July there and WOW it is packed.

I am 24, the dating scene cant be too bad... I mean it seems there are TONS to chose from, and they dont all seem to look high maintenance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
I'm decidedly not dating at my age and circumstances but I gotta say, threads like this are about the most vapid things I've ever come across.

I've lived in nine states and three other countries, many different cities there-in (including Newport Beach where I was mostly raised) at lots of ages and never, ever thought to ask such a "needy" question as how the dating scene was.

If you can't connect in one place you probably will suffer the same fate in every other place you go. It's not about where you are anywhere near as much as it's about who and what you are.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm decidedly not dating at my age and circumstances but I gotta say, threads like this are about the most vapid things I've ever come across.

I've lived in nine states and three other countries, many different cities there-in (including Newport Beach where I was mostly raised) at lots of ages and never, ever thought to ask such a "needy" question as how the dating scene was.

If you can't connect in one place you probably will suffer the same fate in every other place you go. It's not about where you are anywhere near as much as it's about who and what you are.
I would naturally agree with that statement, until I did a little unscientific research (due to complaints of many folks in NC I know complaining of the dating scene). I said the very same thing to them that you are saying now. I thought they were impossibly nuts, until I pulled the numbers. I was astonished at how small the dating pool was where they are compared to the population and age-range of the city. So, all those complaints about their town in NC truly being loaded with married couples is absolutely true.

So, it got me to thinking, why was I never more open-minded before. I mean, obviously there are loads of single 20-somethings in a tiny town with a large university in it, and there are obviously loads of 70-somethings in many towns in FL (because FL has fabulous benefits for seniors, from what I hear), so why couldn't there be loads of married couples in this town in NC? Turns out they were right. It is hard to be single in their town.

So, if it's hard to be single in certain towns because there's just less to pick from, why not find where there are towns with more of what you're looking for at this stage of your own life (especially if you're in your 30s and looking to meet Mr. Right asap to have kids before your eggs run out, not that the OP is, but just an example)?

I'm insanely outgoing and live an active lifestyle, and I've never had a problem getting a date, but I can tell you that now that remarrying is important to me, you can bet I'm checking out the dating pool in potential cities that I move to next. Why? Because I don't want to end up in a dating pool loaded with 20-somethings or 70-somethings. lol

With that said, I am shocked to hear myself say this but, I think the OP asks a valid question.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I would naturally agree with that statement, until I did a little unscientific research (due to complaints of many folks in NC I know complaining of the dating scene). I said the very same thing to them that you are saying now. I thought they were impossibly nuts, until I pulled the numbers. I was astonished at how small the dating pool was where they are compared to the population and age-range of the city. So, all those complaints about their town in NC truly being loaded with married couples is absolutely true.

So, it got me to thinking, why was I never more open-minded before. I mean, obviously there are loads of single 20-somethings in a tiny town with a large university in it, and there are obviously loads of 70-somethings in many towns in FL (because FL has fabulous benefits for seniors, from what I hear), so why couldn't there be loads of married couples in this town in NC? Turns out they were right. It is hard to be single in their town.

So, if it's hard to be single in certain towns because there's just less to pick from, why not find where there are towns with more of what you're looking for at this stage of your own life (especially if you're in your 30s and looking to meet Mr. Right asap to have kids before your eggs run out, not that the OP is, but just an example)?

I'm insanely outgoing and live an active lifestyle, and I've never had a problem getting a date, but I can tell you that now that remarrying is important to me, you can bet I'm checking out the dating pool in potential cities that I move to next. Why? Because I don't want to end up in a dating pool loaded with 20-somethings or 70-somethings. lol

With that said, I am shocked to hear myself say this but, I think the OP asks a valid question.
HEY! Watch it now. I'm only four years from the 70-something status and if I make it I won't be dead yet. But hopefully I'll still be married.

This thread is not the type I usually respond to but interested me because I spent my "finest" dating years in Orange County. Unfortunately, however, that's where I met, courted and married my first wife. Big mistake!

But the bottom line for me is that up until that time and since, in many different places, including Texas, I never had a problem and I know it wasn't my wealth (what wealth?) or good looks (yeah, right!). It was simply a matter of being myself and finding someone with whom I was compatible.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
HEY! Watch it now. I'm only four years from the 70-something status and if I make it I won't be dead yet. But hopefully I'll still be married.

This thread is not the type I usually respond to but interested me because I spent my "finest" dating years in Orange County. Unfortunately, however, that's where I met, courted and married my first wife. Big mistake!

But the bottom line for me is that up until that time and since, in many different places, including Texas, I never had a problem and I know it wasn't my wealth (what wealth?) or good looks (yeah, right!). It was simply a matter of being myself and finding someone with whom I was compatible.
lol

Well, #1, 4 years is a long way away.

And #2, while I prefer older men, if a woman wants children, that drastically limits the age of men you date (as many beyond a certain age have the "been there-done that" mentality). :\

I 100% agree with your bottom line (and have said it many times), but if you can move anywhere in the country, and finding a mate is high/top on your list of priorities, why not pick a city that increases your odds because it has drastically more of what you're looking for than another city? That's all I'm saying (and I think the OP may feel the same, which is why they asked. )

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM

9 posts, read 12,338 times
I lived in newport beach for 11 years. I totally disagree with most of the posters here. It is one of the BEST PLACES IN THE WORLD to be a single man! Are you kidding me?! Look here's the thing, yes many of the girls are pretentious, yes there are gold diggers, yes they are materialistic, but they are sooooooooo much more attractive than girls almost anywhere else in the country. The entire dating pool is like head and shoulders above the dating pool anywhere else physically. And not ALL of them are after your wallet.

If you're a man, you're going to get rejected when you go out to meet women, no matter where you live. At the end of the day it's all a numbers game. So I can go out to a bar in connecticut and talk to 10 AVERAGE women and get rejected by 9 of them and go on to date the 10th AVERAGE looking woman, or I can go out in Newport and talk to 10 model-hot women, get rejected by 9 of them and go on to date the 10th SUPER hot woman.

It's all relative. The hottest girl in the bar in newport beach, will act just like the hottest girl in the bar in connecticut, even though the connecticut girl relatively speaking would be AVERAGE at best if she was in Newport. Because of this, all of these tremendously attractive girls who would be THE knockout in any other town, are just average in newport. And they are yours to approach and date.

You still have to man-up and go talk to them. Very rarely did girls ever approach me. But if you're going to do that anyway, why not go for a swim in the best dating pool imaginable?? I dated the hottest girls I've ever dated in my life while living in Newport.

The other thing is, while the superficial, gold-digging, athlete-chasing, girls are prevelant, they aren't ALL like that. There are some very normal, down to earth girls living in newport. Who.... just happen to be smoking hot. My last OC girlfriend worked in management at an office job, made her own money, was not after mine. And she had fake boobs, and was in phenomenal shape in her 30s. What other part of the country do the office-job girls look like that??

The girlfriend before her worked in mortgage and was a notary on the side - also super hot, fake boobs, the whole thing. I took that girl on a trip to Boston and heard other girls talking smack about her, saying she was stripper. Because in Boston a girl that hot would be a stripper, but in newport - just a girl working in mortgage!

Newport beach is effing awesome. Here's how I look at it... Live in Michigan and meet 100's of "nice" girls looking for the one attractive one, or live in Newport meet 100's of smoking hot gold-diggers looking for the one down-to-earth one. Uhhhh, I know what I'm doing, bring on the hot gold-diggers please!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,732 times
I lived in Newport Beach for four years. I'm a female, I've lived all over the country, including D.C., but I think Newport Beach would be the best (outside of D.C.) for finding beautiful, upscale, sociable women.

The only other place in the country that has a large demographic of beautiful women is D.C., but they really don't have a lot of money.

I had a lot of female friends who ranged from physicist who worked at NASA, to a widow of someone high up in the motion picture industry, to female partners in major law firms. They were all beautiful, smart, and wealthy. I did not meet one gold digger. I was on the singles scene as well, a computer scientist who made plenty of money on my own.

I'm still single and trying to get back to Newport Beach. I'm living in Seattle now, a really hopeless place as far as the singles scene goes. I keep meeting engineers at Boeing who expect me to fall at their feet.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
It's the law of attraction.

What type of car will you be driving ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County