Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Actually, neither does Aliso Viejo, and I don't know if it really matters. Even though Aliso Niguel High School, one the the two high schools which service Laguna Niguel, is physically located in this city, it is not administered by the city of Aliso Viejo. It's run by the Capistrano Unified School District.

BTW, while most Aliso Viejo teens go to Aliso Niguel High, the others attend Laguna Beach High.

I don't know, but I guess the Aliso Niguel High name is derived from contracting Aliso Viejo with Laguna Niguel.
They all blend into one for me (Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, etc). None of those places existed as independent cities, they are all master planned communities and to me that effects the atmosphere of them.

Some Aliso Viejo kids go to Laguna Beach High School because before there was an Aliso Niguel High, the developers of Laguna Audubon lobbied hard to be zoned in the Laguna Beach USD so they could claim the LB connection and LBUSD wanted more kids for more funding since LB was built out.

There is not a huge difference between Saddleback USD and Capo Valley USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellamiami View Post
Thank you for the tips. I will look into the school websites and go from there. No one has said anything negative about Corona del Mar so I will start there, followed by Laguna Niguel and Dana Point. Of course as it has been suggested, one visit could change my mind completely but it's a good starting point.

Any input on Los Alamitos?
No to Los Alamitos.

Too close to Long Beach (gang problems), too much activity at the two navy bases in Los Al (jet fighters and ammunition dump). Maybe the navy presence will wind down as the Middle East winds down, but it could heat back up pretty quickly.

Joint Forces Training Base & Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station

Look at the map above, you can see the air strip and the other open area at the bottom is the weapons station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
They all blend into one for me (Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, etc). None of those places existed as independent cities, they are all master planned communities and to me that effects the atmosphere of them.
Hmmm, okay.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Quote:
Too close to Long Beach (gang problems)
Wow. Way to stereotype an entire area. You think the area between Ocean Blvd, Livingston, and 2nd is full of gangs? What about Bixby Knolls? What about the neighborhood near the country clubs on Long Beach blvd? Those areas are also full of gangs?

Gee.... no gross, oversimplification here!

Old 01-24-2014, 04:21 AM

63 posts, read 230,350 times
I hear good things about Seal Beach but it has Wilson High which rates 6 so that's out of the question. I also hear good things about Los Alamitos so I was wondering how it compares?

I will definitely visit both Ladera Ranch and Nellie Gail Ranch but I think I prefer coastal if possible. I have never been to either. I have only made two quick visits to California and only went to all the touristy places.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 AM

63 posts, read 230,350 times
Los Alamitos is off the list. Thanks for your honest opinions. Laguna Niguel schools have mixed reviews from the parents. I will have to do more research.

How about South Redondo? Any opinions on that? No one has mentioned it?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
If you could live anywhere between Los Angeles and San Diego where would it be? Has to have:
great high school and middle school
great safe community feel
a budget of $1.5 million or less to buy a single family house
at least 2000 square feet
not Irvine
not too far from civilization
hopefully a good investment

I have compared cities and gotten great feedback but I need to narrow it down! We currently live in Miami but are planning to trip to Southern California to decide where we are going to move this summer. My husband is getting transferred (travels for work) and our two daughter, 9 and 11 years old, and I are leaving it all behind and starting a new life! Such a huge decision! Please give me your feedback?
Your title didn't really match posting in the OC forum, so like everyone , they though you wanted just OC. I love South Redondo, a president recent visited the local high school. Since it seems that you are open beyond OC and willing to do some research, research the other adjacent southbay schools too and Bishop Montgomery is local private school. Communities may feel safe, but if they were would we really need police, alarm companies, and bulletproof glass in banks?

In south redondo 1M will get you a house around 2000 sq ft small lot and a beautiful ocean view and a block from the beach 1.5 will get you a larger house in the same area. If you don't want a view , the homes are 700k. Moving south or north, prices move up a lot. East is Torrance and prices are just weird and when you drive though the Christmas light area, you'll understand why. North Redondo has a mixed up identity with some SFR and huge McMansion, two or more on a lot Condo for people who don't want or need a house or yard. Think 3000 sq ft for 700k 4000 for 1M. With enough parks, beach, etc, doggie parks, people want just enough space for their propane bar b que.

You'll find a lot of adults that grew up in the area still live in the area. Although in LA county, it is unlike LA where we don't have big office buildings and a lot of people moving in and out.

As far as an investment, please don't think of your home as an investment, don't really need more speculators, there are enough cash buyers around here.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Wow. Way to stereotype an entire area. You think the area between Ocean Blvd, Livingston, and 2nd is full of gangs? What about Bixby Knolls? What about the neighborhood near the country clubs on Long Beach blvd? Those areas are also full of gangs?

Gee.... no gross, oversimplification here!
If you go 6 blocks inland from Ocean Blvd you start into gang territory. You can pretend all you want that Long Beach doesn't have a gang problem, but that is not reality and it bleeds over into even the nicest areas, especially when it comes to the Asian gangs.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,906 times
Quote:
If you go 6 blocks inland from Ocean Blvd you start into gang territory. You can pretend all you want that Long Beach doesn't have a gang problem, but that is not reality and it bleeds over into even the nicest areas, especially when it comes to the Asian gangs.
Why are you posting inaccurate information about an area you obviously know nothing about?

Let me ask you this. You do know that the City of Long Beach takes very detailed statistics of crime that occur in every district in the city right? So if you lie, you can be called out for lying very easily.

The area around Ocean Blvd is called District 10 and is broken up by these sections: 572, 571, 610, 623, and 622. This includes an area "6 blocks inland" from Ocean BLVD which you claim is full of gangs and is "gang territory".

Guess what the amount of violent crime was for the entirety of that area for 2013? 11 crimes. All aggravated assault (fist fights, drunken brawls, mad spouses, etc). 0 murders, 0 rapes.

You think 11 is a lot? Well Corona Del Mar had 27 reported violent assaults in 2013 according to SpotCrime.

You might want to rethink trashing areas you don't know much about, and instead focus on where you live.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

521 posts, read 733,569 times
Quote:
I hear good things about Seal Beach but it has Wilson High which rates 6 so that's out of the question. I also hear good things about Los Alamitos so I was wondering how it compares?

I will definitely visit both Ladera Ranch and Nellie Gail Ranch but I think I prefer coastal if possible. I have never been to either. I have only made two quick visits to California and only went to all the touristy places.
If you are leaning more towards coastal areas, I would go for Seal Beach or Newport Beach/CDM. I remember you said the peninsula is out of budget but there is a neighborhood off PCH by the peninsula called Newport Shores which is in budget and very nice. Anyway, something to look into

Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
There are, in fact, real differences in style here, believe it or not. LN is admittedly masterplanned, but exceptionally livable. Aliso is younger, hipper and has more condos; also extremely livable. Aliso cannot really be compared with Mission Viejo. Mission Viejo, the most inland and centered on a lake as opposed to the ocean, *might* be the best place for families. It definitely has a different feel with its Mission themed streets. Mission Viejo is pretty but noticeably different than less dramatic, and more coastal LN. If anything, AV and LN are most similar in that they have similar distances to the ocean, the real yardstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County