Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUY View Post
We drove around Costa Mesa and Tustin and it just appeared very run down to us. Huntington seemed too punk and skater bros I guess.

We like upscale places, but just not snobby borderline racist places.

That brings up a nother question: We noticed that only Hispanics seem to be doing the hard jobs there, do any white or asian people do yardwork or wash their own cars or is that soley the hispanic peoples job?

It seemed very strange.

Here in FL I guess it is much different, you will see White, Black and Asian people doing everything that a Hispanic person would do. I guess it is pretty even.

That might have made us uncomfortable too, you know "hey welcome to CA oh but you look exactly like the yardworkers"..."shouldn't you be washing a car" type attitude.
Yes only hispanics do the hard labor down here, it is awful to see a group of people who work the hardest of jobs and get spit on in OC.

LOL I laugh at your last statment ."shouldn't you be washing a car" type attitude....because it is right on, that's exactly the attitude your fiance will get in Newport Beach...spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes only hispanics do the hard labor down here, it is awful to see a group of people who work the hardest of jobs and get spit on in OC.

LOL I laugh at your last statment ."shouldn't you be washing a car" type attitude....because it is right on, that's exactly the attitude your fiance will get in Newport Beach...spot on.
Agree, it is horrendous and this attitude seems to be like a virus in So Cal. There are reasons to be frustrated such as illegal immigration, but I still don't like how this has evolved into a hateful attitude towards anyone who is Hispanic.

Hispanics do a lot of work and personally I haven't seen a group of people work so hard to get so little in return and still be treated like crap by elitist whites.

I'm not Hispanic by the way, listen to cabolissa and Mach 50, both will give you the best advice and are helpful great people.

Belmont Shore is a great area, has an urban upscale vibe, and is much more diverse, maybe look there.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,375 times
Asian/White is basically not an interracial couple in Southern California (or Northern, really). That's one thing to consider when you think about this question.

Newport Beach is nauseating IMO, honestly one of the most nauseating and brutally difficult places to spend your time. My GF and I do well enough that we could live there (if we lived in OC) but I would probably become homicidal or become an alcoholic if I had to live there. Irvine isn't much better. Don't live in either of these places would be my advice - given your impressions (which seem similar to mine).

I'd look closer to Long Beach (Seal Beach, Belmont Shores) as one other poster said. Huntingdon isn't bad either but if you don't like the vibe then you don't like the vibe. One thing that's great about Southern California (this is more true of LA than OC though) is every neighborhood is very different and has a completely unique vibe. You have to find the place that fits you. It may take a year or two years to figure this out. The area is incredibly diverse and there's lots of variety in places to live. Don't give up on CA because Newport Beach sucks. If I thought all of CA was like NB I would never be here. Thank goodness, it's not.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM

25 posts, read 68,424 times
I had many friends in Huntington Beach who had hispanic backgrounds including white/hispanic mixed children and couples. Admittedly I never asked “Hey, do you experience racism” but I would never think that it would be a big deal. I don’t know how a person could be racist against a white/Hispanic couple as so many native Californians from all walks of life have Hispanic backgrounds. I can't really talk much about Newport Beach specifically since the only thing I went there for was surfing, but my impression was that the only color that really mattered in that area was green. If you are creeped out by Newport I would stay away, even if had the money it wouldn’t be first on my list either. Also I would check out the Huntington Harbor area of HB as it's more upscale than the admittedly "bro" downtown area.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUY View Post
Cabolissa are you white and your husband is Mexican? If so then you truly would understand.

I definitely got a feel like people were surprised to see us together, like surprised she even knew English very demeaning looks. I guess my fiance does look Mexican she is shorter with darker skin, she definitely doesn't look illegal though! I mean she dresses better than most white girls even out there.

I guess in FL we are more tolerant than CA, I never would have thought that being that all I hear about is how liberal and tolerant Californians are. What a bad surprise.

Here in Orlando I would never see people treat others like that, definitely not in a racist manner.

Your comment explains a lot and I appreciate it.

Yes, I'm white and my husband is Mexican (born in DF). He is also well-dressed, educated, and well-spoken. But he doesn't have the same growth opportunities here as the white. Just our experience.

I didn't grow up in OC, but I am a native Californian, and I want you to know that OC is NOT representative of CA as a whole. I grew up in Ventura county and loved it. Then I went to university in LA and LOVED it!!! Very diverse and liberal. I love the bay area also for the same reasons. California is the size of a small country, so it's hard to pigeon-hole us as all one type.

Those of us outside OC say it's behind the "orange curtain". It's very different.

Working in Newport/Irvine at a law firm is also something I know about. I'm an intellectual property Paralegal with a large well-known firm in Irvine (on the border with Newport) in the legal center. The job is great, and I love the firm but it is conservative. LA pays better than OC also, so I recommend that she consider a position there. The pay will offset the higher cost of living.

Areas I recommend are: Redondo/Hermosa Beach, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Brentwood, Westwood...

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the law firm she's considering!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
want you to know that OC is NOT representative of CA as a whole.

Those of us outside OC say it's behind the "orange curtain". It's very different.
Amen and amen. As someone who grew up in OC and who now lives in the IE (South Fontana), crossing that County line into OC is like entering a different world... Lala Land, so to speak.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I'm not Hispanic by the way, listen to cabolissa and Mach 50, both will give you the best advice and are helpful great people.
Ah, thanks!

By the way, I love your photos thread, it's a nice addition to the forum. I imagine I'll be browsing the beautiful scenery once I'm living in Texas hill country and feeling a little California-sick. It's true, it's not the golden state for nothing! Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Ah, thanks!

By the way, I love your photos thread, it's a nice addition to the forum. I imagine I'll be browsing the beautiful scenery once I'm living in Texas hill country and feeling a little California-sick. It's true, it's not the golden state for nothing! Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!
My husband and I lived in the Hill Country back in the 80's when my husband was a marine pilot. It was pretty and we probably would have stayed had he not eventually been moved back to El Toro where we decided to finally settle down. Good luck with your move and enjoy Texas! It makes me sad to see the county lose such nice people to other states, but you got to go where you can afford to live.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM

125 posts, read 440,595 times
Honestly, your best bet would be to stay in FL.

Think about the other things as well, Orange County has probably one of the most volatile home markets right now. Even if you get a good deal expect it to go down at least 10% more.

Your also going to miss the little things (trust me) like the thunderstorms and the nice landscape.

Also If you enjoy diversity, orange county is not for you.

Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
although i can't speak to the racism issues you have, i do know that all of OC is not bad. I spent most of my life there, and although i prefer the vibe in LA, i still have no problems going back to visit friends. as with others, im not really a fan of irvine and newport, just a bit too flashy for me. kind of reminds of beverly hills up here in LA. it seems a lot of people live in beverly hills just to tell people that they live in beverly hills if you know what i mean. however, there are mostly down to earth people in OC whom you will have no issues with and plenty of neighborhoods where you shouldn't get the nasty vibes you were talking about. you might have to commute a bit from these places, but CA offers a great lifestyle for someone who makes plenty of money and may be worth the move for you and your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County