Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Your anecdotal evidence doesn't override his anecdotal evidence either.
Fair enough, notice I don't make these kind of statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390
"If people don't like you, it isn't because of your color, or lack thereof..."
We all have different experiences it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
That sounds to me like a good thing. If you are correct, that means we didn't waste our time worring abour other people's perception of us.
We lived in the upscale area of Yorba Linda, and traveled in upper class circles, and NO, there was never any predjuiced towards us..
If people don't like you, it isn't because of your color, or lack thereof...
Trust me, we're not crying about how people "perceive" us. Discrimination isn't about feelings. It's about being passed up for employment, advancement, etc. It's about not being treated equally in the workplace. The other stuff doesn't affect us really. Other than us realizing that we're surrounded by the wrong type of people, that is.

By the way, I believe hispanic women fare better, in the job market. Companies can fill their quotas by hiring hispanic clerical help, but don't usually hire hispanic males for middle management or visible positions. These discriminitory practices are examples of both sexism and racism at work.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Trust me, we're not crying about how people "perceive" us. Discrimination isn't about feelings. It's about being passed up for employment, advancement, etc. It's about not being treated equally in the workplace. The other stuff doesn't affect us really. Other than us realizing that we're surrounded by the wrong type of people, that is.

By the way, I believe hispanic women fare better, in the job market. Companies can fill their quotas by hiring hispanic clerical help, but don't usually hire hispanic males for middle management or visible positions. These discriminitory practices are examples of both sexism and racism at work.
Employment discrimination cuts many ways besides sexism and racism. The new employment discrimination popping up again seems to be ageism. Being older is a protected class just like other groups, but not everyone realizes that.

Ageism last reared its head during the Internet boom. High-tech companies tried to avoid hiring "older" employees, saying they wouldn't fit with the youthful culture. Some even ran job ads saying only apply if you are between 25 and 35. Of course many of the companies ran afoul of the government back then.

Now ageism appears to be back again.
Older job-seekers face special hurdles

Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Employment discrimination cuts many ways besides sexism and racism. The new employment discrimination popping up again seems to be ageism. Being older is a protected class just like other groups, but not everyone realizes that.

Ageism last reared its head during the Internet boom. High-tech companies tried to avoid hiring "older" employees, saying they wouldn't fit with the youthful culture. Some even ran job ads saying only apply if you are between 25 and 35. Of course many of the companies ran afoul of the government back then.

Now ageism appears to be back again.
Older job-seekers face special hurdles
Very good point.

Did you know that age discrimination flourishes in many countries (Mexico and Japan, for example), and do so quite shamelessly. Job ads post preferred age range and gender.

Here are some examples of US firms in Mexico looking to hire age-specific applicants, and in some cases gender: ttp://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2007-09-23-mexico-age_N.htm

It's really a shame to think that some of the most experienced workers, who have already retired and now have to reenter the workforce due to the poor performance of retirement funds and general economic woes will be resigned to being a greeter at Walmart, or checker at Target for minimum wage.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Very good point.
Unfortunately some middle aged workers in the US will be be given stupid job search advice like "dye your hair" or "get botox".

No one these days would dare tell someone to bleach their skin or get plastic surgery to hide race/ethnicity.

Why should someone cover up age?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Well I think plenty of people are told to Americanize their accents, and refrain from speaking their native tongue around co-workers, which is essentially "covering up" your ethinicity.

Discrimination against any group is wrong.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Well I think plenty of people are told to Americanize their accents, and refrain from speaking their native tongue around co-workers, which is essentially "covering up" your ethinicity.

Discrimination against any group is wrong.
And I know older people who have been told to change their language to avoid using slang common in the past, refrain from making references to events they lived in the 1960s and 1970s, avoid talking about old music that younger people would not recognize.

In essence they are told to "cover up" their age and their life because those things make people around them uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, too many people are only comfortable when they are around people like themselves, be it ethnic, race, gender, sexual preference, age, values, politics, income, etc.

That is wrong for any reason, we are all different.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:05 PM

188 posts, read 521,158 times
Hmm, this is a fascinating read. From what I gather from other sources, black people virtually do not exist in OC (though I keep on hearing that things are changing now), but how would a white/black couple fair there? Another question would be is it uncommon to see Asian/Hispanic couples there?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUY View Post
T

Is Long Beach really good? I have heard that it is pretty ghetto?
Hmmm... is "ghetto" a code word for black?

If so... seems like you might be a racist yourself...

Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
Hmm, this is a fascinating read. From what I gather from other sources, black people virtually do not exist in OC (though I keep on hearing that things are changing now), but how would a white/black couple fair there? Another question would be is it uncommon to see Asian/Hispanic couples there?
OC's black population is growing but very tiny. A little known fact about why OC has long had a near nonexistent black population is because the KKK forcibly drove black farm workers out of OC long ago, IIRC in the 1930s. Things have changed since then but OC still has very few blacks. UC Irvine however has helped draw a few blacks in.

If there are still problems regarding White/Hispanic couples in OC (which are accepted pretty much everywhere else in California) I'd assume that there are a great deal more problems regarding white/black couples - in fact I have heard a great deal about black male/white female couples encountering a great deal of problems in OC. That attitude is one of the last remnants of OC's long-fading Texan/Lower Midwestern roots. White male/black female couples probably don't exist in OC or if they do in too small numbers for anyone to notice. Latino male/Asian female couples probably don't get too much crap but I don't know this for sure. Elsewhere in CA pretty much any male/Asian female couples are accepted. The number of Asian male/Latina female couples in CA is small enough I couldn't even tell you the attitude in the whole state much less OC. If it's anything like the rest of the state, money trumps everything else. But that's not always a safe assumption to make in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County