Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM

177 posts, read 706,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Frankly, it all boils down to our experiences. If you haven't experienced racism in OC, great. Not surprising though, since most of you are white (duh)...

I have witnessed racism in OC against my husband, plain and simple.

Question asked and answered... Why do you need to deny it exists, just because you haven't witnessed it???
Glad I don't live in Orange County. Thanks for giving me the details on how people really are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM

101 posts, read 283,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
After reading comments like this I can't imagine why any white person might not like you.

I believe in treating everyone the same until they give me a reason to do otherwise. Stereotyping a whole group is not doing you any favors.
I have to agree. Maybe the reason for the alleged discrimination has to do with the chip on the shoulder rather than any ethnicity issue.

Oh and by the way, I am half hispanic.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMelanie View Post
I have to agree. Maybe the reason for the alleged discrimination has to do with the chip on the shoulder rather than any ethnicity issue.

Oh and by the way, I am half hispanic.
You know, this is really sad... You think a person DESERVES racism, chip or no chip?! Ever think that people may have a chip BECAUSE of the racism??? Which came first, the chip or the racism? Lame. Racism is wrong, that goes without saying.

And the fact that you used "alleged racism" communicates to me you think I'm a liar. Based on what, exactly?

By the way, I'm white and have a chip against other closed-minded whites... Read the thread.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,475,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUY View Post
The only issue with OC is that my fiance is from Honduras (American) and I am your plain American white guy, I guess and it appeared we caught a lot of attention and honestly "bad vibes" from the people there in Newport and OC all together, in a very racist sort of way, it is hard to describe if it is just snobbishness or real racism. It is really causing us to think twice about moving there....

We do have money and look nice, here in Florida it is very common for Hispanic and White couples to mix so have never been in this situation. I seem to only notice Asian and White couples there as mixing...do they think they are better than Hispanic and White couples out there?
Personally, I think it was pure snobbishness. It wouldn't make sense for mixed couples to turn their noses up at another mixed couple.

Phony people love to put on airs.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,208,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
IN MY EXPERIENCE: General prejudice against those of Latin background.

By the way, assuming that the affluent are educated is not entirely accurate. And many OC conservatives love their hispanic gardeners, cleaning ladies, and nannies... But they wouldn't socialize with them!
Do you honestly think that the "lear jet liberals" in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, or Santa Monica socialize with their hispanic gardeners, cleaning ladies, or nannies???

Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,059,800 times
No, but I bet they'd socialize with their hispanic neighbors, who are more likely to live there than here.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 67,757 times
Thanks for all the replies from all the different angles and experiences. As a white guy I find this all pretty awful, especially for California.

One person put it as: "maybe I just don't know the culture in OC". That is certainly true, maybe you could help me out on the culture? Is the culture to be demeaning towards hispanics because they do all the sh**ty jobs? Is it culture to be rude to spanish speaking people because there are some that are illegal? Please help me, define OC "culture" I want to figure it out, becaus ehonestly reading some of these comments and what I saw in OC makes me quite angry and hate the place as a first immpression.

My fianceand I live in Winter Park, FL, which is a very rich area.
0 problems, 0 racism, total fairness and equality.

My fianceand I's impression of OC is that if people saw 3 people walking down the street: 1 white guy, 1 white/asian girl, 1 hispanic girl...people would immideatily think my fiance(the hispanic) is our help and the 2 non hispanics are a couple...

Is Long Beach really good? I have heard that it is pretty ghetto?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:37 PM

177 posts, read 706,712 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies from all the different angles and experiences. As a white guy I find this all pretty awful, especially for California.

One person put it as: "maybe I just don't know the culture in OC". That is certainly true, maybe you could help me out on the culture? Is the culture to be demeaning towards hispanics because they do all the sh**ty jobs? Is it culture to be rude to spanish speaking people because there are some that are illegal? Please help me, define OC "culture" I want to figure it out, becaus ehonestly reading some of these comments and what I saw in OC makes me quite angry and hate the place as a first immpression.

My wife and I live in Winter Park, FL, which is a very rich area.

My wife and I's impression of OC is that if people saw 3 people walking down the street: 1 white guy, 1 white/asian girl, 1 hispanic girl...people would immideatily think my wife(the hispanic) is our help and the 2 non hispanics are a couple...

Long Beach is pretty decent and more diverse than Orange County. Most of the ghetto are in the southwestern and northern parts of the city.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM

916 posts, read 3,703,769 times
Quote:

My wife and I live in Winter Park, FL, which is a very rich area.

My wife and I's impression of OC is that if people saw 3 people walking down the street: 1 white guy, 1 white/asian girl, 1 hispanic girl...people would immideatily think my wife(the hispanic) is our help and the 2 non hispanics are a couple...

Long Beach is a big city (500k people). It has very wealthy, very poor, and everything in between. It has beach, suburban, urban, and every other kind of neighborhood. It depends on the part of the city you live in.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 67,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Long Beach is a big city (500k people). It has very wealthy, very poor, and everything in between. It has beach, suburban, urban, and every other kind of neighborhood. It depends on the part of the city you live in.
THANKS!

We can rent something near 4k a month can we get something nice near the beach, low crime, family, diverse.

Will the commute to Newport Beach be horrid?? is it possible to take the train or a Ferry to Newport from Long beach...

Again really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County