Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUY View Post
THANKS!

We can rent something near 4k a month can we get something nice near the beach, low crime, family, diverse.

Will the commute to Newport Beach be horrid?? is it possible to take the train or a Ferry to Newport from Long beach...

Again really appreciate it!
It's not a horrible commute, especially if she drives PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) rather than the 405. It's 20 miles, so between 30-40 minutes each way. That's not unheard of for CA standards, but I'm not sure what you're used to. Also, it depends on where in LB or NB you're commuting. If you're on the outsides of these cities you can tack on another 20 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
No, but I bet they'd socialize with their hispanic neighbors, who are more likely to live there than here.
You're not likely to find too many hispanics living in Beverly Hills or Bel Air.lol Santa Monica has a few though.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:08 PM

You kidding? Why? Because hispanics can't be rich? WRONG! What snobbery.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
You kidding? Why? Because hispanics can't be rich? WRONG! What snobbery.
No, because the latest census puts the non-white hispanic population in Beverly Hills under 5% of the population. Chances are your neighbor isn't hispanic.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
No, because the latest census puts the non-white hispanic population in Beverly Hills under 5% of the population. Chances are your neighbor isn't hispanic.
Persian Jews are pretty much taking over Beverly Hills.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here is another one: The OC is racist!

Why do some OC residents feel it is ok to treat people this way? Rich white people exist everywhere in California, why is it only OC that we hear is so overtly racist.

Is it because of the Republicans? Do some think they are doing other republicans a favor by equating illegal = all hispanics. I just find it odd that it is also the only red county on the coast and yields so many complaints on this subject.
As a Hispanic Texan lady who frequently visits California to visit her white Republican boyfriend, no it has NOTHING to do with being republican. I think that is ridiculous and insanely bigoted by the way.

CUCUY, I also agree with others here that there is a considerable anti-Hispanic sentiment throughout California. And yes like you I looked to California with rose colored glasses thinking it was some haven of independent thought and cool types of people. Sadly, that doesnt apply to americans of latin american descent. I am pretty sure that I was looked at funny several times when I opened my mouth and spoke fluent English. Absolutely friggin insane. I think it is funny that people point to Texan Republicans or other southerners of that type of be racist. I have lived in Texas all of my life around white people and I have NEVER encountered here the type of racism I have seen in the white population in California. (And I'm actually talking about Northern Cali at that). For your wife's sake and your piece of mind, avoid California altogether. You both deserve much MUCH better.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
I really appreciate all of your input, and I did send a link to this thread to my friend who is considering relocating to OC.

I don't know whom to believe here, but knowing that Mach50 and cabolissa seem to have a lot of level-headed posts, I definitely do think we should assign some weight to what they are saying. However, I do not think it is necessary to be of Latin origin to be qualified to comment on "racism" or prejudice against people of Latin origin. If that were so, only the French could be experts on French cuisine and only smokers would be fit to warn against the dangers of lung cancer.

As an outsider to OC (raised in Miami, have lived in Spain, Boston, and now NYC) I must comment on something that seems so prevalent out there in California.

Is there an overwhelming social consenses to treat "white (non-Hispanic)" people as a singular group in OC? On this forum I witness constant use of the "white" vs. "Hispanic" juxtaposition that, to my ears, doesn't have much value. The interesting thing is that even many of the "Hispanic" people seem to speak of "white" people versus "Hispanic" people. I ask because where I was raised and where I currently live, I rarely hear "white" people used to describe a socio-cultural group because, like Southern California, there are so many groups whose members tend to be "white": Russians, Armenians, Italians, many Latin Americans. The "white" versus "Hispanic" distinction seems to be one that has theoretical value on paper but that doesn't have much value in real life.

Call me a nitpick/snob/political correct/whatever, but I'll want to tear out my hair if I hear another person say something like "I'm half white and half Mexican" or "My skin might be light, but I'm not white, I'm Mexican." You'd think that "Hispanic" people out there in California would know better, but from my personal dealings with several of them, they seem to be just ignorant on the matter as the many "Anglo-Americans" (or "white people," as these "Hispanics" call them) with whom these "Hispanics" buy into juxtaposing themselves.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but I really think that this weird "white" versus "Hispanic" dichotomy (which is given racial and cultural value even when that is not appropriate) that is so prevalent out there may be perpetuating self-segregation, ingorance, and misunderstanding of both of those groups. I have never in my life heard such a stink over whether someone is "Hispanic" or not as on City-Data.com and the OC forum seems to be one of the worst offenders of this.

Wake up, people: the man-made categories of "white" and "Hispanic" are two broad circles with GREAT overlap. Stop treating them as if they are hot oil and water; as if they are mutually exclusive groups.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:55 AM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I really appreciate all of your input, and I did send a link to this thread to my friend who is considering relocating to OC.

I don't know whom to believe here, but knowing that Mach50 and cabolissa seem to have a lot of level-headed posts, I definitely do think we should assign some weight to what they are saying. However, I do not think it is necessary to be of Latin origin to be qualified to comment on "racism" or prejudice against people of Latin origin. If that were so, only the French could be experts on French cuisine and only smokers would be fit to warn against the dangers of lung cancer.

As an outsider to OC (raised in Miami, have lived in Spain, Boston, and now NYC) I must comment on something that seems so prevalent out there in California.

Is there an overwhelming social consenses to treat "white (non-Hispanic)" people as a singular group in OC? On this forum I witness constant use of the "white" vs. "Hispanic" juxtaposition that, to my ears, doesn't have much value. The interesting thing is that even many of the "Hispanic" people seem to speak of "white" people versus "Hispanic" people. I ask because where I was raised and where I currently live, I rarely hear "white" people used to describe a socio-cultural group because, like Southern California, there are so many groups whose members tend to be "white": Russians, Armenians, Italians, many Latin Americans. The "white" versus "Hispanic" distinction seems to be one that has theoretical value on paper but that doesn't have much value in real life.

Call me a nitpick/snob/political correct/whatever, but I'll want to tear out my hair if I hear another person say something like "I'm half white and half Mexican" or "My skin might be light, but I'm not white, I'm Mexican." You'd think that "Hispanic" people out there in California would know better, but from my personal dealings with several of them, they seem to be just ignorant on the matter as the many "Anglo-Americans" (or "white people," as these "Hispanics" call them) with whom these "Hispanics" buy into juxtaposing themselves.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, but I really think that this weird "white" versus "Hispanic" dichotomy (which is given racial and cultural value even when that is not appropriate) that is so prevalent out there may be perpetuating self-segregation, ingorance, and misunderstanding of both of those groups. I have never in my life heard such a stink over whether someone is "Hispanic" or not as on City-Data.com and the OC forum seems to be one of the worst offenders of this.

Wake up, people: the man-made categories of "white" and "Hispanic" are two broad circles with GREAT overlap. Stop treating them as if they are hot oil and water; as if they are mutually exclusive groups.

I understand where you are coming from. My mother is a green eyed light skinned white Hispanic herself and my maternal grandparents are from northern Spain. However, when it comes to California, "Hispanic" tends to mean someone of either Mestizo or Amerindian appearance. I've been told that I don't really look Mexican, so I've been mistaken for everything from Palestinian to Brazillian at times. However, any person walking around with tan skin and darker eyes (and my eyes arent even brown they are hazel!) will get the racist hatred of the population there. Oddly, it seems Hispanic has also become a catch-all for anyone who does not appear totally white nor totally black nor asian. Truth be told, if most of the Hispanic population looked "white", I doubt there'd be an uproar about their presence there, legal or otherwise.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

I began to hate my town during the whole Prop 8 campaign, when my neighbors took to the streets screaming their anti-gay hatred to uninterested passers-by. Prior to that, the racism was more "in the closet". That election brought out the worst in people, IMHO.
Prop 8 passed mostly because of the 70% of blacks who voted for it.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post

This is such an excellent post... You obviously understand the dilemma. Hispanic is an ethnic designation. White is a racial designation. They're not even the same category. You can be hispanic and white, black, or brown. But I don't expect everyone to understand this. I should, but alas, we're in the states. Race and ethnicity in the United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Like yourself I've lived abroad, in two other countries. Unless you're a person who's lived in other cultures, you can't expect to truly understand issues relating to culture, race, and racism. I know first hand how it feels to be a minority and living outside of my mother tongue. Not many Americans experience that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County