Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM

62 posts, read 251,397 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I'm from Michigan and have just been given the opportunity to work remotely for my company. I am considering moving Newport Beach for several reasons but mainly for the weather. One of my main concerns is meeting new people/the quality of people I will meet (when I say people, I mainly mean woman, I am a 28 yr old single male). The vibe I'm getting about OC is that people are fake and only care about $$$.

Does anyone have experience in the dating scene in Newport Beach/OC? If so, what is to be expected?

I could pretty much move anywhere in the world right now...if anyone has a better suggestion for me, I'm open to hearing! I've considered Australia, Toronto and Texas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,276 times
If you are going to Newport Beach to date, then don't be surprised to find gold diggers. They are everywhere actually, just make sure you know how to smoke them out before you get taken. Also make sure you know how to say, "no" to a woman. A fool and his money are soon parted is the saying and that's especially true out here.

The main thing you need to learn about women in the OC is that they are very anti-social in a dating scene since there is usually alot of competition. If you can't go up and approach a woman in a club/bar scene then dating here will be very difficult (since 99% of women will NEVER approach a guy in that setting). The only exception is older women going after younger men, lol.

After going to other parts of the country/world I would say OC dating is very difficult. Other places i've been to, the women (even young good looking ones) will outright walk up to you and start chatting you up. Its the exact opposite in the OC.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
If you are going to Newport Beach to date, then don't be surprised to find gold diggers. They are everywhere actually, just make sure you know how to smoke them out before you get taken. Also make sure you know how to say, "no" to a woman. A fool and his money are soon parted is the saying and that's especially true out here.

The main thing you need to learn about women in the OC is that they are very anti-social in a dating scene since there is usually alot of competition. If you can't go up and approach a woman in a club/bar scene then dating here will be very difficult (since 99% of women will NEVER approach a guy in that setting). The only exception is older women going after younger men, lol.

After going to other parts of the country/world I would say OC dating is very difficult. Other places i've been to, the women (even young good looking ones) will outright walk up to you and start chatting you up. Its the exact opposite in the OC.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info! From your experience, what have been some of your favorite places? I don't have trouble approaching woman...but here in MI its a mix...I've had girls approach me, and just start making out...but they are usually the ones that are not my first choice...Seems like I always gotta work for the good ones!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 59,972 times
Default One of my favorite CA places

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindikator View Post
Thanks for the info! From your experience, what have been some of your favorite places? I don't have trouble approaching woman...but here in MI its a mix...I've had girls approach me, and just start making out...but they are usually the ones that are not my first choice...Seems like I always gotta work for the good ones!
Every so often, the news covers communities that are good for dating upscale and smart women. Manhattan Beach, CA (which is located in Los Angeles county) has been often recommended. I have several friends who bought there because it's a nice and affluent area.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,337 times
Dude you could move anywhere in the world i.e. Toronto, Austin?, Australia? And you are picking Newport Beach??????????????????? I'd LOVE to live in Toronto if I were you. Australia.....is a no brainer. I think if you are from MI you will be sorely disappointed in the dating scene. Newport is filled with Paris Hilton's and rock n roller party type chicks who are into drugs and the size of your bank account. Many more exciting places to live while you are young and single.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Dude you could move anywhere in the world i.e. Toronto, Austin?, Australia? And you are picking Newport Beach??????????????????? I'd LOVE to live in Toronto if I were you. Australia.....is a no brainer. I think if you are from MI you will be sorely disappointed in the dating scene. Newport is filled with Paris Hilton's and rock n roller party type chicks who are into drugs and the size of your bank account. Many more exciting places to live while you are young and single.
Thanks for the tip. Yep I could live pretty much anywhere. The reason I like Newport Beach so much is because the weather is great, close to the beach, safe...It will give the option to be active. I really do love Toronto but the winters will depress me.

Do you live Newport Beach?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindikator View Post
The vibe I'm getting about OC is that people are fake and only care about $$$.
Newport Beach is the Capital of this fake and pretentious behavior. I've lived there and was single for a stint, you will have to talk and game yourself up constantly.

NB is not laid back, it is not a cool beach town with nice people. It's the pinnacle of Republican corporate go-getters, equipped with 40 yr old guys driving Ferrari's that screech the tires around every corner. A place where you open up a conversation with a women and she asks "do you own or rent?" and "where did you go to school?"...any wrong answer here is ground for disqualification. Prepare for the proverbial gauntlet when meeting women in NB.

For a 28yr guy from the Midwest I think you will hate it.

Last edited by Mach50; 04-17-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Laguna beach can also be a great place to meet women. A large percentage of the guys there are gay, so a stright guy has less competition.

Ages ago, I went to a bar in Laguna where they had "Ms. St. Pauli Girl" visiting as a promotion. Unfortunately, no one knew about it, or cared. Anyway, there was a local drunk and me. I struck up a conversation with Ms. St. Pauli Girl and we ended up dating until she had to move on to a promotion in Texas. She was the prettiest girl I ever dated until I met my wife.

Newport is loaded with plastic women looking for a guy with a good income. There are lots of nice girls there too, but they get hidden amongst the plastics. One guy i know (but dislike) was recently divorced. he started haning out in Newport Beach bars to see what he could find. He was watching one gal who eventually came over to him and said "HI. I will be honest I am here hoping to find a rich husband." He said "I am a wealthy guy looking to replace my first wife with someone younger and hotter." She told him "Well lets go to bed and see if we like each other." They ended up getting married (for a while).

It is not really all like that, but it is a funny example that exactly fits the stereotype (except that they were honest and upfront about it).

At 28 you are going to have a more difficult time. Many gals that age are married or focused on a career. One place I saw a lof ot people meet in that age range is on the commuter train to LA. Otherwise, the usual, health clubs, social clubs, maybe bars, at the beach if you are sufficicently confident and agressive (usually you will need a have a friend or two with you). A lot of people meet waitresses at resturuants (most are actreses or at least wannabe actresses). Once you make some friends, oyu will get invited to private parties where you will meet people. It is easy to meet people. It is easy to meet really pretty looking girls. It is much harder to meet down to earth girls who are not intersted in how much you make, and/or who have no plastic surgury.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
You put blinders on. Once you learn to ignore the attention-craving, narcissistic barbies you will soon find a treasure trove of normal, down to earth women.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

59 posts, read 149,865 times
What's up with all the plastic surgery? is it THAT common? I didn't take notice when I was in NB but I do hear that alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County