Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regardless of my personal views on the measure, Measure 91 on the Fall 2014 Oregon ballot will:
Pass 67 84.81%
Fail 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:47 PM

323 posts, read 499,469 times

Advertisements

Marijuana is not classified as a narcotic. Narcotics - definition of Narcotics by Medical dictionary

Narcotics
Definition
Narcotics are natural opioid drugs derived from the Asian poppy Palaver somniferous or semi-synthetic or synthetic substitutes for these drugs.
Purpose
Narcotics are drugs that dull the sense of pain and cause drowsiness or sleep. They are the most effective tool a physician has to relieve severe pain. Narcotics are also given pre-operatively to relieve anxiety and induce anesthesia. Other common uses are to suppress cough and to control very severe diarrhea. In large doses, they can suppress the ability to breathe and cause coma and death. Narcotics are also taken illegally for recreational use.

Following this is a quite interesting description of narcotics.

But here is a metion of marijuana [quote] The first international attempts to control narcotic drugs were made in 1909 with the formation of the Opium Commission Forum, which developed the first international drug control treaty in 1912. In the early 2000s narcotics are regulated internationally by the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), established in 1961. The INCB regulates the cultivation of raw materials to make narcotics and natural and man-made drugs. Cocaine and marijuana also fall under the board's control, although they are not technically narcotics. Narcotic drugs are also regulated by federal and state governments. In law enforcement, the term narcotics is extended to include other, mainly illicit drugs such as cocaine that have little medical use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM

What if we did like some European countries and all drugs were legalized? It would take the profit out of it for criminals but still, there would be addicts of all kinds too messed up to hold down jobs who would steal to get the money. I'm tending toward not wanting to go down that road.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Yes it is. and the argument could go on for days, but it won't. It is illegal and if I have anything to do with it, (And I do.) it will never be a legal recreational drug in Oregon.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM

679 posts, read 877,641 times
Yes, look at all the good Prohibition did with booze. That worked really well.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
In law enforcement, the term narcotics is extended to include other, mainly illicit drugs such as cocaine that have little medical use.
Cocaine is one of the most powerful topical anesthetics there is. I had an eye injury once that was causing terrible pain. One drop of cocaine solution in the eye and the pain vanished. Cocaine is also used by dentists to relieve pain. Many medical substances are cocaine derivatives, like Novocaine and Lidocaine.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,174,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...............Cocaine is also used by dentists to relieve pain. Many medical substances are cocaine derivatives, like Novocaine and Lidocaine.
Cocaine is almost never used by dentists today. Novocaine and Lidocaine are synthetic anesthetic drugs, they are not derived from cocaine.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Cocaine is almost never used by dentists today. Novocaine and Lidocaine are synthetic anesthetic drugs, they are not derived from cocaine.
Novocaine (procaine) is also almost never used by dentist today either. They have switched to hypoallergenic compounds like lidocaine. Lidocaine has to be administered with epinephrine as a vasoconstrictor, while cocaine is a naturally powerful vasoconstrictor.

The fact is that all controlled substances have powerful pharmaceutical properties. Claiming that one drug or another has no medical use is nonsense.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,790 times
Default cannabis is not a gateway drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I will fight it aggressively. Oregon does not need a gateway drug, and anyone who thinks it isn't is either a user or not living in the real world. I predict this is too controversial for this forum and will meet it's demise sooner than later.

I know for sure. I'm a cannabis user who has never had the urge to try hard drugs.

If you want to know for sure, check the science on the subject.

Don't expect me to do it for you and post links.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 PM

That is why I tend to go for medical definition of narcotics. However, at least people stoned on marijuana don't tend to not drive fast. They tend to drive very slow, saying wow, wow man.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Well, that is the typical stereotype of a marijauna user, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon