Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
I'm not understanding the Obsession with people wanting to move to Florida.
Basically its about the beaches and the long summers with no winter. take those two factors out of the equation and i'm sure there would be a lot less migration to Florida IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Basically its about the beaches and the long summers with no winter. take those two factors out of the equation and i'm sure there would be a lot less migration to Florida IMO.
The long summers are actually what make people become snowbirds and live somewhere else half the year

That being said, I'd rather sweat during a long summer than freeze during a long winter. To each their own

Old 06-30-2013, 07:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I'm the exact opposite i'll take a cold winter day over a sweltering hot summer day in Fla. In winter i can dress properly to not be cold, in summer in Fla theres only so far you can go to cool off before its make the run for the airconditioner

Old 06-30-2013, 07:44 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesButAlsoNo View Post
I have no idea why anyone wants to move to Florida unless they live in a cage (Orlando area anyway including the area within 30 miles of Orlando).
A cage? Say what?

I have gone to Florida for many years on vacation with my family. The last two years we decided to stay 6 weeks each time and find out what it is really like.
Six weeks? That's enough time to find out what a place is really like? Try living here for years, winter, spring, summer, fall. Isn't that a better way?

We had actually thought about purchasing another home there just for vacations.

Not what we expected. Cost is more than where we live now. People were not as friendly. Florida laws are not as people friendly. Weather can change in a heartbeat.
I spent eight years living in Texas (Houston). Cost slightly better, people I'd say a little friendlier as a whole. Weather changes in BOTH in a heartbeat. It sounds like you haven't experienced any of those fierce Texas thunderstorms yet. The Orlando t-storms are a walk in the park in comparison. The TX storms scared the crap out of me until I got used to them!

Too many people that don't speak English. Crime, abundant drunk drivers, foreigners that cut you off and should not be driving in this country, local drivers that should not have a license and much, much more.
Wow, sounds like my time in Texas!

No wonder insurance companies have either pulled out or charge a bundle for insurance.

We have 16 years of experience going to Florida as a family, but we usually stayed a couple of weeks at a time. I have been going there since back in the early 80's. I have relatives there and the kids enjoyed the parks. My relatives said they would move if not for their job since they had worked for the same company for so long.

I ran into a lot of people that have lived there for less time than I have been going there. Did not surprise me with all the transplants.

Buy a beachfront house in Texas. Better people, better laws, better drivers, they speak mainly English, cheaper everything and Texas laws are people friendly.
They speak mainly English? I beg to differ! There are people in ABUNDANCE that cannot even speak English. I went into a chain business once (similar to a Home Depot/Lowe's-type place out there), and the cashier could NOT speak my language. She had to go look for somebody that understood English that could help me!

We bought land and house in Texas not near the beach because neither one of us like the beaches which are generally polluted and filled with people that don't have much sense. They will probably die of skin cancer one day. Now we can relax and have a great time on vacation four or five months a year. Plus they found oil and gas on our property with the boom in drilling.
I don't find FL beaches to be polluted. In contrast with the beaches I grew up with in Calif (icy cold & brackish-green water and dirty sand), the beaches here are pristine, white-sand beaches that are less crowded. The beaches in Texas aren't crowded because the beaches there are ugly, quite frankly.
Homes in Texas are usually sold with "surface rights" only. They don't want homeowners to profit from what's under their property. Out of curiosity, how did you avoid giving up your mineral rights when you purchased?

A couple of weeks is enough when going to Florida. Too many rude, arrogant and dumb people in the area we visited anyway.

That is why people with money live in exclusive areas in Florida. They can get away from the rift raft others seem to enjoy or just cannot afford to be able to get away from them.

If you are looking at a trailer retirement community then you never own the land and you will pay a fee every month which can, and most likely will, go up every year. That is probably the biggest rip-off I have seen in Florida.

Nothing special about Florida. If you want to move there then move there. There are many better options available.
After living in CA, OK, OH, TX, and MS, FL is the most beautiful I've lived in. Yes, even trumping CA IMO.

Of course you always have the diehards in every state that will swear their state is better.
I grew to adulthood in CA, so FL is definitely not my home-state. I'll still swear FL is better, sorry!

Last edited by poodlestix; 06-30-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,581,067 times
My post above is longer than it appears. City Data made it look like most of it was the quote when I was actually replying to much of the quote.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
We just can't go on knowing there's someone like you out there that hates Orlando; we're losing sleep over it.
Take an Ambien, I'm sure you can find a dealer in St. Pete..

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM

407 posts, read 1,075,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Take an Ambien, I'm sure you can find a dealer in St. Pete..
And this kind of advice coming from someone up at 2:17 in the morning. Couldn't fall asleep because you're dwelling on your hatred of Florida?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

329 posts, read 700,770 times
Quote:
And this kind of advice coming from someone up at 2:17 in the morning. Couldn't fall asleep because you're dwelling on your hatred of Florida?
Someone must of murdered his wife while they were walking or broke into his slumburban house multiple times in a row for him to be up THAT early still hatin' on the sunshine state!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
It was 1:17 CST, and there's no hatred. I do find it amusing that you mistake the truth for hatred.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Someone must of murdered his wife while they were walking or broke into his slumburban house multiple times in a row for him to be up THAT early still hatin' on the sunshine state!
I can see that public education is still focal point #1 in "the sunshine state!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando