Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I looked up Wegmans. It appears to be a combination traditional supermarket and specialty store. I define specialty as what I assume Trader Joes to be though I haven't been there yet. Publix is more traditional supermarket, though it appears to be spicing things up in certain stores depending on the neighborhood.

Given our area's wages, I think Publix could be more concerned about losing 10% market share to stores that claim (emphasis on claim) to be cheaper than 1.3% to the organic market. (Totally made up percentages by the way.)
I think you are significantly underestimating the market for organics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Publix has wonderful PR and is very clean, love their bakery, but they are so small. They cannot possibly stock new variations of anything because there is no room! I'm surprised after being around for what almost 50 years, they have not built bigger stores. That would be their competition up north where I come from. They have enormous stores and so many new items, which make it exciting to shop at and fills my cart like a mountain! They even have an organic department within the store besides their huge organic produce. I did shop at a smaller store for fresh meat which had a great reputation but everything else was that big store.
Maybe you haven't been in some of the new stores, but they are 130-200% larger than the older ones.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Publix has wonderful PR and is very clean, love their bakery, but they are so small. They cannot possibly stock new variations of anything because there is no room! I'm surprised after being around for what almost 50 years, they have not built bigger stores. That would be their competition up north where I come from. They have enormous stores and so many new items, which make it exciting to shop at and fills my cart like a mountain! They even have an organic department within the store besides their huge organic produce. I did shop at a smaller store for fresh meat which had a great reputation but everything else was that big store.
Maybe you haven't been in some of the new stores, but they are 130-200% larger than the older ones.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcs934 View Post
fyi - i follow stocks quite a bit and recently there was a strong rumor that publix was interested in taking over whole foods.
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha

Old 07-15-2014, 03:28 PM

626 posts, read 976,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Really! Where??????? If I have to drive forever to get to one, it's not worth it.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Really! Where??????? If I have to drive forever to get to one, it's not worth it.
Orange/Michigan

The Winter Park Village one used to be an Albertson's, and Albertson's stores were usually pretty big.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:52 PM

626 posts, read 976,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Orange/Michigan

The Winter Park Village one used to be an Albertson's, and Albertson's stores were usually pretty big.

Way too far for me to go to. Seems like "winter Park' gets everything.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha
There was speculation of a Publix move on Whole foods in late May. It became news in June and caused a rise in Whole Foods stock.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 PM

253 posts, read 378,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There was speculation of a Publix move on Whole foods in late May. It became news in June and caused a rise in Whole Foods stock.
Interesting... I hadn't heard that either. I wonder what was behind the speculation?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Talk of Publix buying Whole Foods not likely to lead to anything | Tampa Bay Times

It looks like the Publix/Whole Foods thing was just a rumor. I couldn't imagine Publix going from mostly Florida and the Southeast to a national chain overnight through buying Whole Foods.

Annerk: Organic Market

There IS a huge demand for organics. Paleo, Cross Fit, documentaries, blogosphere, farmers markets, co-ops, etc. have caused an uptick in demand.

But even like the Tampa Bay article states in the last sentence, Publix's biggest threat is Walmart. Perhaps they are more concerned about our area's typical $8-$10/hr workers passing two of their stores to go to Walmart to "save" money than they are people with more discretionary income who will go to the farmers markets and Whole Foods to make up for the handful organic items Publix doesn't carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando