Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Interesting... I hadn't heard that either. I wonder what was behind the speculation?
Maybe to cause Whole Foods stock to increase a bit. Most of the stock is out of the company hands so somebody could have made some money in profit taking.

Maybe it was just an untimely leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've banned it all from my diet.
It's pretty hard to ban GMO completely. More power to you if you have really managed to do it

Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Really! Where??????? If I have to drive forever to get to one, it's not worth it.
The Citrus Tower Publix is about double the typical older stores. I've been in others, but can't recall where. Gainesville near the VA/Shands is large as well.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Talk of Publix buying Whole Foods not likely to lead to anything | Tampa Bay Times

It looks like the Publix/Whole Foods thing was just a rumor. I couldn't imagine Publix going from mostly Florida and the Southeast to a national chain overnight through buying Whole Foods.

Annerk: Organic Market

There IS a huge demand for organics. Paleo, Cross Fit, documentaries, blogosphere, farmers markets, co-ops, etc. have caused an uptick in demand.

But even like the Tampa Bay article states in the last sentence, Publix's biggest threat is Walmart. Perhaps they are more concerned about our area's typical $8-$10/hr workers passing two of their stores to go to Walmart to "save" money than they are people with more discretionary income who will go to the farmers markets and Whole Foods to make up for the handful organic items Publix doesn't carry.
It's a lot more than a "handful" of items. Publix carries almost nothing in organics. It's really pitiful.

Look at it this way, would you be more concerned about the 20% market share loss who spend $100 a week at WalMart in low margin items and only shop Publix for the BOGO's and other loss leaders or the 20% market share loss who spend $200 a week in high margin items at Whole Foods and while they are happy to find a sale, cost is not their #1 factor in choosing a grocer? Anyone who chooses the first group needs to learn second grade math.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's pretty hard to ban GMO completely. More power to you if you have really managed to do it
I'm at about 90%. You can boost it buy leaning towards imported foods from countries which have banned GMO's since day one. It takes some time and research, but it can be done.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,796 times
Quote:
"Publix doesn't have good selection..."

I've seen this statement several times on this board and heard a person or two in "real life" say it. I didn't want to hijack a recent thread by asking this question, so let's talk about it here.

This is usually something people who move to Florida say, particularly if they are from a northern state. I find this hard to believe. For many people in Florida, if you need something a little off the beaten path, Publix is usually THE place where you're most likely to find it. At the least, you can easily go to the service counter and put in a special order.

What is the typical Publix missing that causes people to believe that it doesn't have "good selection?" Is it missing the Planter's Anchovy Buffalo Honey Flavored Jumbo Peanuts with Injected Swiss Meatballs that they sell up north?
Publix is great. I'm from the north and have never heard otherwise from anyone I know.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
I'm at about 90%. You can boost it buy leaning towards imported foods from countries which have banned GMO's since day one. It takes some time and research, but it can be done.
be careful with that horse meat from over seas

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/bu...ndal.html?_r=0

Europe has definitely been more on top of the GMO thing for sure though.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
It's a lot more than a "handful" of items. Publix carries almost nothing in organics. It's really pitiful.

Look at it this way, would you be more concerned about the 20% market share loss who spend $100 a week at WalMart in low margin items and only shop Publix for the BOGO's and other loss leaders or the 20% market share loss who spend $200 a week in high margin items at Whole Foods and while they are happy to find a sale, cost is not their #1 factor in choosing a grocer? Anyone who chooses the first group needs to learn second grade math.

Well, I guess Publix needs to go back to elementary school, because they're choosing to defend their existing territory against Walmart.

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in the organic label foods. I guess it's more than a product claiming it's "organic." No company would put claims on their labels that are misleading...

Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
be careful with that horse meat from over seas

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/bu...ndal.html?_r=0

Europe has definitely been more on top of the GMO thing for sure though.
I don't buy meat from over seas, except certain specialty hams from GMO free regions in Italy. One reason I don't buy Greenwise meats is that they aren't organic and are fed GMO grains.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess Publix needs to go back to elementary school, because they're choosing to defend their existing territory against Walmart.

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in the organic label foods. I guess it's more than a product claiming it's "organic." No company would put claims on their labels that are misleading...
They can't simply toss a USDA Organic label on the food. They'd be shut down by the USDA in about three days if they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando