Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
This may seem strange to some, but the recently remodeled Winn-Dixie stores really upped their prepared food game. I went to the one to Apopka a while ago and I thought I was in the wrong store. I swung in there to pick up something for a party I was attending in the area, and a part of me wanted to get dinner there and forget the party. There was so much. It's just too bad that the Bi-Lo acquisition stopped the plans to remodel more. I think Apopka and 434 Longwood are the only remodeled ones in the area. There are none on my side of town. :-(
I thought the plans to remodel were simply delayed? The new stores would give Publix a run for their money if they would follow through, not to mention if they were to do the same with the acquisition of the Sweetbay stores along the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
Quote:
Moral of the Story: Nothing is as good as it is where we are from. Nostalgia at work. That's why I don't order sweet tea. Yes. Even here. :-)
True 'nuff. Although since the only thing I've found that is worse than where I lived prior is grocery shopping, I will gladly go through the lower quality/selection groceries and have everything better than before.

Making a trek to the NE this week to hit Wegman's, and will come up with a list of things I can't get in FL to stockpile. Most of it is specialty items (chip nuts, Berger cookies, Cheerwine BBQ sauce, and so on), plus a few other "normal" groceries that are not available down south (chow mein noodles). But after doing grocery shopping in the Tidewater, Virginia area today, I will never, ever, ever complain about the selection in Florida!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:43 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Speaking of renovated Winn-Dixie stores, here are pictures from their Facebook page for a renovation they just completed in Fleming Island, FL near Jacksonville.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3364626&type=1

Old 07-21-2014, 09:59 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Speaking of renovated Winn-Dixie stores, here are pictures from their Facebook page for a renovation they just completed in Fleming Island, FL near Jacksonville.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3364626&type=1
The WD close to my house in Palm Bay looks like that, too............until you get to the shelves of food and the meat department. They moved the old shelves over to make room for the fancy wood floor areas and you can see where they used to be. They never did anything with the floors or old shelves etc. from the 25-30 year old building. So the gray ugly floors and old discolored shelves makes it seem not clean. Looks good from the outside with the fancy windows they added and in the produce/liquor/ and deli section and the rest is depressing. Still have a lot of out dated food on the shelves and meat is more expensive than Publix unless WD has it BOGO.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
The WD close to my house in Palm Bay looks like that, too............until you get to the shelves of food and the meat department. They moved the old shelves over to make room for the fancy wood floor areas and you can see where they used to be. They never did anything with the floors or old shelves etc. from the 25-30 year old building. So the gray ugly floors and old discolored shelves makes it seem not clean. Looks good from the outside with the fancy windows they added and in the produce/liquor/ and deli section and the rest is depressing. Still have a lot of out dated food on the shelves and meat is more expensive than Publix unless WD has it BOGO.
Sounds like they're not too sure about staying with that location. The remodels have largely been total gut jobs otherwise.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sounds like they're not too sure about staying with that location. The remodels have largely been total gut jobs otherwise.
I think the money ran out when they filed bankruptcy. I do not think they will be closing unless the corp closes. they have been at the same location for 25 years. I think it is the only 1 here that got the remodel.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I think the money ran out when they filed bankruptcy. I do not think they will be closing unless the corp closes. they have been at the same location for 25 years. I think it is the only 1 here that got the remodel.
They won't be closing since Bi-LO bought them out. Hopefully they'll continue the remodel.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They won't be closing since Bi-LO bought them out. Hopefully they'll continue the remodel.

When you walk in it is all bright,new, and fancy with all the food stations that look and smell so good, get to the back of the store and make a left turn it is like walking into a dungeon or different world. Even just applying a paint job on the concrete floors would be an improvement.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
So, I checked out the Dr. Phillips Whole Foods. Yikes. That's a huge deli.

Eating out at the grocery store is still a little foreign to me, but what they had looked very appetizing.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So, I checked out the Dr. Phillips Whole Foods. Yikes. That's a huge deli.

Eating out at the grocery store is still a little foreign to me, but what they had looked very appetizing.
That's a unique situation for a Whole Foods in terms of the size of their Prepared Foods area, and no doubt due to the tourist factor. I have been in many over the years and don't recall any more than half that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando