Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I think Publix's biggest concern in the past few years has been the (smear haha) campaign by Walmart on prices and the rapid building of new Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Walmart has also instituted a "price-match BOGOs at the Walmart price" for Florida customers. Though most stores do BOGOs, Publix is almost branded by it. Walmart instituting that policy for Florida only (when Florida doesn't enjoy privileges like double coupons and the Publix Penny Item like the other states due to the lack of competition here), was basically a declaration of war.
I cannot stand Wal Mart, the in-store experience is overcrowded and overrated, the food quality is HORRIBLE and most often very unhealthy, product quality is cheap and made-in-china, the service is HORRIBLE, and now they have the guts to attack one of the best supermarket chains in the Southeast with a cheap-shot marketing campaign.. NEVER again will I step foot in a Wal Mart store unless it is a last resort situation or desperate measure..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 PM

10 posts, read 15,059 times
I am from NJ and have to say that when asked what the one thing is that I miss about home I always respond, "Shoprite". Publix is much more costly. They are friendly and have great customer service but I cannot find many of the foods I normally buy. I am not into "specialty" foods, or rarely buy organic, but just regular items I am used to are not carried here. Also, the meat section is very limited. My old grocery chain had a huge selection and sales that couldn't be beat anywhere, including Wegmans... I guess if I had never been to shoprite I would have no idea what I was missing.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp75 View Post
I am from NJ and have to say that when asked what the one thing is that I miss about home I always respond, "Shoprite". Publix is much more costly. They are friendly and have great customer service but I cannot find many of the foods I normally buy. I am not into "specialty" foods, or rarely buy organic, but just regular items I am used to are not carried here. Also, the meat section is very limited. My old grocery chain had a huge selection and sales that couldn't be beat anywhere, including Wegmans... I guess if I had never been to shoprite I would have no idea what I was missing.
the shoprite's I've been too just didn't seem to have the same nice look to their stores, personally.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
the shoprite's I've been too just didn't seem to have the same nice look to their stores, personally.
Most of the Shoprites are on par with an older Publix, some are on par with the new, larger Publix model. None of them compare to Wegmans.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most of the Shoprites are on par with an older Publix, some are on par with the new, larger Publix model. None of them compare to Wegmans.
I will tell you, the newer publixes are getting very close to Wegmans (the gelato/coffee shop near the entrance of some of the larger, newer ones is a great example ---- used to only see that at Wegmans).

Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I will tell you, the newer publixes are getting very close to Wegmans (the gelato/coffee shop near the entrance of some of the larger, newer ones is a great example ---- used to only see that at Wegmans).
Nope. Have you ever been to one of the new Wegman's in NJ or MD? It will take a lot more than a gelato and coffee shop to even come close.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nope. Have you ever been to one of the new Wegman's in NJ or MD? It will take a lot more than a gelato and coffee shop to even come close.
I know there's a lot more than that.... the ones I saw upstate had dedicated olive/mediterreanean self-self bars, asian food self-serve, huge cheese sections and seafood sections etc. I was just saying that when I saw the new publix in Dr Phillips, the coffee/gelato thing at the entrance made me think of Wegman's as that's how those were a few years ago when I used to live in NY.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
This may seem strange to some, but the recently remodeled Winn-Dixie stores really upped their prepared food game. I went to the one to Apopka a while ago and I thought I was in the wrong store. I swung in there to pick up something for a party I was attending in the area, and a part of me wanted to get dinner there and forget the party. There was so much. It's just too bad that the Bi-Lo acquisition stopped the plans to remodel more. I think Apopka and 434 Longwood are the only remodeled ones in the area. There are none on my side of town. :-(

The Publix on Orange/Michigan/SODO, which is larger than most, has a lot to offer in their prepared food department. The restaurants in that area get a LOT of lunchtime traffic, especially with the cluster of Orlando Health facilities (including ORMC) and all of the other medical offices and such. They all probably make more money on weekday lunch visits than nightly and weekend dinners. That Publix has the typical subs and bakery, but also serves Chinese, has an olive/Mediterranean bar (not my thing), hot dinners, and provides seating. That's also the store I visit when I need an ingredient or product that's a little off the beaten path because I'm likely to find it there.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM

577 posts, read 669,498 times
Some Publix stores have a decent selection, others don't. If a Publix doesn't have a decent Indian food section and a decent British food section, I'm not too happy. American grocery stores in general have pretty poor selection (compared to the UK, at least), I found the ones in places like Boston better though.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,989 times
Moral of the Story: Nothing is as good as it is where we are from. Nostalgia at work. That's why I don't order sweet tea. Yes. Even here. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando