Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times

Advertisements

I've lived in other places. Even though we have what's going on, we still have it pretty good here. I'm not going anywhere!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 AM

242 posts, read 613,620 times
Hmmm. If there are so many people that have left and come back, wouldn't we be hearing from them?? I guess it's hard to speak FOR them, and it's hard to guess at the numbers. Someone mentioned going to one of the other forums to see what relocated Floridians there are saying.

I guess they could have used more people to do the survey on. And it probably depends on the area/areas they targeted for the survey.

And even to analyze this thread... 80% at LEAST validate the survey results? What % of the whole population would that represent? And you'd have to calculate in other factors... Maybe there's a whole group that feel differently that don't come to this site to put in a word. But maybe there's a whole other group that would add itself to the 80% if they had computers or knew how to work them (older people mostly).

Wonder what kind of results they would have gotten if they surveyed renters (they only surveyed home owners). I'm thinking the figure representing disatisfaction would rise significantly.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojow View Post
Hmmm. If there are so many people that have left and come back, wouldn't we be hearing from them?? I guess it's hard to speak FOR them, and it's hard to guess at the numbers. Someone mentioned going to one of the other forums to see what relocated Floridians there are saying.
I'm doing just that and will report back shortly with the results. In the mean time one other note. From all the thousands of threads over the last 2 years this is what sticks as the top keys of disatisfaction AND the relationship to other areas (I'll stick to what I do know - WI,IL, TN, SC)

1) Crime

Yes is is worse here only because of LACK of improvement. It's like these guys do not know how to restructure law enforcement for a growing city in order to keep (or make) it effective. So what happens is the crime overtakes the law enforcement. Compared to those areas I've mentioned ...yes this is worse than the famed "South Side of Chicago"

2) Home Values

In reality it's going on everywhere, the harder part is the true reality of the last several years is kicking the crap out of Florida. (yes a house values at $230K in 2003/2004 isn't worth $500K) However once everything rolls back down to normal I think a year past that will settle everyone back to reality.

3) Failing Government

Face it the Governor is horrible, and for the most part the overall government of this state is terrible. This state requires certain things - one is to become unspoiled, second to have this government step on the factors that is necessary for everyone in this state to lead a respectable and reasonable lifestyle. If this means sitting insurance companies at a table and kicking the crap out of them then so be it. If this means instead of a "tax bill" that doesn't help anyone they instead pass a relief bill that corrects the wronging of the insurance companies (look at WI)..then so be it.

This government invests way too much in the bill of rights. After moving here I had an urgent situation and a neighbor really needed ..I think it's the Brady act?...anyways... the cop told me that unless there is 150% perfect proof it doesn't happen. Why??? Because they are overly concerned (cops words) with making sure that he has every chance of freedom. WHAT???? At this risk of other people's safety?? Who is the idiot that thought of this??

This government REQUIRES to be fixed.

4) (yea here it comes) Foreign population

I'm not going to comment on this except for saying -

This is our country. If you want to come here thats fine - BUT - here's the rules

1) you must speak English well
2) you must talk in English always except in the privacy of your own home
3) only 1 family per house
4) you must pay taxes
5) you can not claim dual residency
6) you must learn how to drive in America
7) you must give us Americans as much respect as you want us to give you
8) your money must be spent here, not "back home"

break any of these or any of our laws and you lose all of it and end up back where you came from...and yes only one chance.

5) (always save the best for last) Declining faith.

Sorry folks but while we all do move for reasons, bailing out isn't one of them. That is declining faith in something you once believed in. This is why America as a whole is going down. Rather than bail, gather. Stick it out. Take no crap. Stand up for the things you want where you want them....and don't be afraid to do it "unpolitically correct". We spend way too much time softening the message to the point that it's so watered down it has no meaning. For someone who has any balls that in time to roll over the message deliverer. Stop softening it - get back to say it as you mean it. Even if the message is heavy and hard. It occurs to me that business worked much better when we didn't "manage a problem" by moving the employee to someplace where maybe they won't hurt us because he's a nice guy and just straight out fired him. Take your house, your job, your "domain" and make them personal, more than they have been. Stand up for them. Fight for them. Don't take anyone's crap.

STAND UP AMERICA, STAND UP FLORIDIANS

I'M AMERICAN I DON'T TAKE ANYONE'S CRAP!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,664,384 times
[quote=mojow;2645851]Hmmm. If there are so many people that have left and come back, wouldn't we be hearing from them?? I guess it's hard to speak FOR them, and it's hard to guess at the numbers. Someone mentioned going to one of the other forums to see what relocated Floridians there are saying.

QUOTE]

Haven't you been reading this forum lately?

There are lots of people who have posted this, they are moving back from NY, NH, Tenn, NC and many other states.

There was a great thread about this that got shut down because of the Florida bashers couldn't stand to hear the fact that these people were posting they made mistakes and are moving back.

What people do not understand and I find this in my travels is the fact that there is a trend of unhappy people no matter where you go, they hate where they live and want to go somewhere else. Well, I can tell you, its not any better any where else either. COL, Crime, housing problems, insurance rates, energy cost are all just as high if not higher in other states besides Florida. It cost me more to live in Ohio then it would to live in Florida right now. The COL is outrageous, my new tax bill recently came and I couldnt believe it, raised again. Would be much less for the same house in Florida.

You have just to decide what is what you want and take whatever else comes with it. Might as well be comfy while doing it.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 AM

It is kind of cool that you two (floridabound09 and amax41) posted right next to each other.

Floridabound, no insult intended when I say this but you are speaking from a standpoint of passivity. You're motto is to see the good in things and have the serenity to accept the bad, since it's everywhere. And normally, that might be a pretty healthy attitude.

But in some cases, passivity only allows others to take from you.

Amax41, it's nice to see someone coming out strongly, wanting to take a stand. We ARE a nation of politically correct. We have manners. We consider ourselves polite and civilized. We don't want to be called names (like racist). We don't want to "lower" ourselves by getting into skirmishes that would make us seem like we're aggressive uneducated hicks.

Your statements probably worry people because they are so aggressive and people would wonder where an attitude like that would end. For instance, when does any one have the right to tell people what language they can speak in the streets? What can we tell them next that they can't do, that would seem to interfere with constitutional rights?

(Personally, I think if it in terms of economics... Only English should be spoken on the job. No one should have to speak any language but English to get a job here. My boyfriends has to take helpers with him and sometimes they send someone that can't speak any English. It takes my boyfriend twice as long to get the job done [installing airconditioners], and half the time he ends up having to go do the job himself because he can't explain to them how it needs to be done, as each job is different.)

Anyway, my point is people are so bent on being politically correct that they are allowing things to happen that shouldn't be happening, all in the name of "good manners".

If it COULD be worse... then it WILL be worse. It's called "fleecing of the sheep".

We are being politically correct to our own demise and the destruction of what people before us have worked for.

Things are affecting our economy severely and what will it be like for our great grand kids? I don't think it's easier to accept just because the Jone's next door have it too.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM

[quote=Floridabound09;2646895]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Haven't you been reading this forum lately?

There are lots of people who have posted this, they are moving back from NY, NH, Tenn, NC and many other states.

There was a great thread about this that got shut down because of the Florida bashers couldn't stand to hear the fact that these people were posting they made mistakes and are moving back.
Actually no, I haven't been keeping up with the topics on the forum.... This particular thread was sent to my email address.

I was refering to the input to this particular THREAD when I wondered about hearing from people who have moved back. I would have expected some comments to THIS topic from those people. The title is pretty perfect for that type input.

As far as going to one of the other forums, I thought someone mentioned, for instance going to TN forum and reading what former FL residents were saying about their relocation.

Mostly I was wondering how to judge what % of people that left.... came back. From talking to people for a couple years in this one little area, (in my cashiering job) I didn't meet but one or 2 people that moved and came back, and both times it was because of the weather, but I met a huge amount that were making plans to move, whether it was next month or in 5 years.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Amax41, the comments that were posted to this article might interest you. The article itself is lays claim to how boldly the gov now does what it wants without consideration to By the People Of the People, etc...

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/01/26/6648/

"The Government is no longer ours and when that happens the fore fathers told us we have a DUTY not a Choice but a DUTY to disband the government as it is and form a new one."

And this link is a way for people to take back some power (not from our gov but from the setup of the current system - well maybe inadvertently our gov)...

American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM

8 posts, read 52,469 times
looks like it's getting worse down there....

YouTube - 8000 Floridians ,Homeless in the Woods 2008

Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,571 times
Quote:
<snip snip> ....
ok forget the quote...I'll answer it in the pieces the quote would have been in - and before I forget - also with all due respect -

.....is to see the good in things and have the serenity to accept the bad, since it's everywhere. And normally, that might be a pretty healthy attitude. .....

I know you clear some of this statement up later but you did contradict yourself. THIS statement above is SO P.C. that it's not healty. I'll explain why in my other answers below.

...... it's nice to see someone coming out strongly, wanting to take a stand. We ARE a nation of politically correct. We have manners. We consider ourselves polite and civilized. We don't want to be called names (like racist). We don't want to "lower" ourselves by getting into skirmishes that would make us seem like we're aggressive uneducated hicks.

You just twisted right into the problem. you say "being politically correct to our own demise" yet you do it also. Racist is not being called a name unless you have no backbone. There is also a difference between manners (which include polite and civilized) vs. being able to handle the realities of the world - which incluse being called racist. It's being labeled actually, not being called a name. However the sissy yuppies that couldn't stand to get their feelings hurt because thier upbringing was so lame and laid back, can't possibly handle anything like being called names - THIS IS how this additional ledge of crap started. Oh by the way...I din't want to take a stand I DID take a stand..quit weakening the meaning....that IS P.C.

Agressive uneducated hicks - and let's get this straight because according to the above (and you'll consider this calling you a name so get your "word shield" ready....) the statement above and most of that post was nothing more than a stuck up (head up a body cavity) snob.

Now that last few lines was not "uneducated hick" unless you are a Golf Course HOA Snob....(lol talk about labels and you complained about racist...)

(pssstt....that's some of your contradiction)(pssst ...that sort of talk does make Americans look pretty stupid.....)

(I have to mention that writing in this style is actually stress relief - which IS healthy!)

ok -back on topic - "uneducated hicks" that reaction would consist of some sounds like "yeeehaa" and most likely a switch, rifle, and a few other personal effects that I will refrain from mentioning here. Then taking all that and proceeding to stalk the person if interest and probably just beating the snot out of them.

(isn't that how our miltary was started???)

Your statements probably worry people because they are so aggressive and people would wonder where an attitude like that would end.

Funny there are those that they don't worry...those people are the realists. They are very much from the older generation. I won't bother with the rest of that P.C. statement ending.

We are being politically correct to our own demise and the destruction of what people before us have worked for.

oh yes this is the ONLY truely 100% correct statement from the post. by the way those two articles tell me you really don't get it. Those articles and your responses 200% contradict the statement above. PICK A SIDE!!!!

Here's the bottom line.... the value of manners is something our grandparents, etc. knew and were to teach us. I know they did in my case. Manners is not to be confused with ethics which is not to be confused with
etiquette. Those of the P.C. "religion" have completely confused it all.

and since mojow now expects be to be even more (in his/her mind) obnoxiously animalistic....(that cracks me up!)

I say this - sometimes you have to yell loud enough and hard enough for people to listen. Because if you don't you have only yourself to blame not anyone else....oh yea for the totally P.C. you have to have someone/something at fault in anything that goes wrong.... you can't just walk away not boiling it down cause then you learn nothing.

IF YOU DO NOT STAND UP HOLD FIRM GROUND AND STIR THE POT YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF. THIS IS WHAT MAKES AMERICA WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_Club View Post
looks like it's getting worse down there....

YouTube - 8000 Floridians ,Homeless in the Woods 2008
Wow. I've felt too close to that edge before.... If income = expenses, then all it takes is 1 little catastrophe to put you in the streets.

People like to think that only drug addicts are on the street, that way they can blame the individual rather than consider that the system is flawed and can actually put people on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando