Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

My husband and myself are thinking of moving from the Atlantic coast of FL to the Windermere/Winter Garden area but we have some questions.

We're not a young couple, but we're not dead either. We like the W/WG area because it has a vibe and everything we need appears to be minutes away. Here's some questions..

The area appears to be a young area. Would we stick out or are there other young 60-somethings around? Are there any areas or neighborhoods that lean toward an older population? Are people in general friendly there?

We're not rich but we'd like to pay cash for something $300,000 or less. Is this even possible in Windermere? We're looking for about 2,200 sqft.

Orlando is exciting and there seems to be so much to do but it's very much unlike the beach areas of the Atlantic in that it's segmented by highways and we want to get into the right area, an area where most of our needs can be made without highway driving, tolls, etc. give or take once a week or so.

Are there any other areas of greater Orlando, maybe some places we are missing, that offer good restaurants, good malls, i.e., Millenia and The Village at Winter Garden, and a segment of older population? We don't want to be the old grannies of the hood.

We are also looking for access to reasonable golf and Ocoee's Forest Lake seems to be the place, another reason for settling in this area.

Any information will be much appreciated. We'd love a non-gated neighborhood but I don't think this is possible in Winter Garden. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 05:09 AM

193 posts, read 624,063 times
Windermere outskirts and Winter Garden areas are a mixed population of ages, skewing toward younger with families. I haven't seen any 55+ communities like there are in Clermont but they might be there.

You won't stick out, there are retirees around. At least I see them in Publix and other stores.

We find the area very friendly.

You could find something in the Windermere zip code but not in old Windermere, but more towards the western area. Communities like Summerport and Preston Square would have homes available in that price range. They are non gated commmunities.

Sorry can't help you with the golf scene.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM

19 posts, read 32,404 times
Winter Garden is a great place for 55+. It is close to everything and very quiet. Windermere has mixed aged groups.
There are quite a few neighborhoods in both areas with a golf access.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 PM

184 posts, read 438,361 times
We're in our 60's and live in Windermere along 535! We LOVE it. We have met many other couples in Windermere and Winter Garden that are retired and even a couple in their 80's. It's all ages.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM

28 posts, read 67,315 times
I just got back from a real estate trip looking to buy in the Disney area.
Decided I liked the 'feel' of the Windermere/Summerport/Winter Garder area the best. Houses seemed slightly more per sq ft there. Did OP ever come back and post about buying something?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,147,258 times
This is still a pretty new thread so I doubt they've purchased anything quite yet. I personally love the Windermere/ Winter Garden area mentioned along 535. And Summerport, Lakes of Windermere, Providence, Signature Lakes, etc are all great. For 300K you can get some large new homes in any of those neighborhoods.

To the OP however, have you also checked out Winter Park, Baldwin Park or College Park? They are a little more central, are more established as a community and completely developed. With Fashion Squre Mall close by, Winter Park Village, Park Ave shopping and the park. Homes are bit more expensive in this area, but if you don't need a huge home there are plenty in the under 300K range.

Also the Lake Mary Area may be a great fit. With Heathrow (golf community, but gated), Timicuan (un-gated golf community), with Seminole Town Center Mall, and of course everything available in Lake Mary's version of the outdoor mall off H E Thomas and International Pkwy. Gorgeous area, and again, lots to choose from

Last edited by GregTraub; 05-17-2010 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Hi,
I don't know if you found a place or not but I have a 3/2 mobile home for sale at a very reasonable price, if interested please let me know.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando