Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:01 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
In the UK we can get something called the 500L Trekking.

It has additional traction control and seems fine in snow.

It's only available as a manual (stick shift).
we have the 500L Trekking here as well, in both manual and automatic. The automatic costs an additional $2k I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I actually stopped by Ford on my way to fiat today, and I did like this Cmax-, it looks really neat, but the interior of the Fiat just wowed me
Yeah, far be it for me to recommend the CMax, even if my employer might be a bit mad at me for not doing so, on the merits of the interior. The FIAT is just unlike anything else on the market, really.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,014 times
Honestly, I'd go with the 500l. It doesn't look that bad and I think it looks better than the current generation Murano!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
It really doesn't look that bad from the angle posted earlier in the thread. I'm trying to remember what I thought was odd about it. I think it was from the rear particularly that I didn't like. Anyway, that kind of thing is so subjective so it's hardly a reason not to get it.

I'm curious what you think makes it (to at least one of you) unlike anything else on the market though? I will say the idea of good visibility is appealing because so many cars seem to be going with short side glass these days. Is that the main reason you think it's unique?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm curious what you think makes it (to at least one of you) unlike anything else on the market though? I will say the idea of good visibility is appealing because so many cars seem to be going with short side glass these days. Is that the main reason you think it's unique?
The fold-and-tumble rear seats with recline. The essentially 360-degree views. The peppy engine from the Abarth. The gadgetry inside. The funky design. The $20K price. Want me to go on?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
I would go with the Hyundai Veloster any day over the Fiat and twice on Sunday.

The fiat looks unsafe in a crash. Its so small.

2013 Hyundai Veloster Base 2dr Hatchback 1.6L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/Black Interior Features and Specs
It git 5 star euro NCAP cash rating ... Pretty impressive
Fiat 500L | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Last edited by minibrings; 02-16-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Oh wow, all the way from Boston? How is the 500 handling the snow in Boston? Yes the 500L is really fun to drive, I don't know if the veloster can top that today , we will see
I have a neighbor wirh a 500 and we love to drive in the snow.
Youtube.. There was a dealer in Alberta that showed videos of how well the car did, with regular tires, in the snow.

It goes so well i'm debating selling my regular wi winter car, an older Saab.
I was happy to fly to DC to be treated with respect.. Plus they had best price then with my USAA discount

Gosh darn u DCMom.. You got me doing online shopping for a 500L!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
So still pretty subjective. I'm not trying to play gotcha or anything. Was just curious. I haven't driven one or seen its interior up close. I dove up behind one and first impression was that it seemed a bit ungainly in appearance. Impression from photo here was more positive. But I dug out the Car and Driver which probably helped me form opinion. They tested it in $28k guise and still found it lacking against the Kia Soul. And the pics in there, straight from the side and back, make me not care again for the appearance. Admittedly, I don't care for the Soul either and never really considered it.

2014 Fiat 500L vs. 2014 Kia Soul – Comparison Test – Car and Driver

So for me anyway I guess I'm back to not feeling convinced about it over other 4-door hatches out there, which is what I almost wrote in my last post. But for those drawn to its particular character I suppose it could be appealing.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
we have the 500L Trekking here as well, in both manual and automatic. The automatic costs an additional $2k I think
This is probably the only car I would ever recommend an automatic for (given the choice). The rolling-pin manual shifter and its vagueness were a huge turn-off for me. I'd still probably get a manual were I ever forced into picking a people-mover from a competitor (no worries for me, since that's not bloody likely), but only just. Plus, in DC, a manual is a hindrance much more than an advantage (and this comes from someone who has driven nothing but manuals ever since learning how to drive one in 2006).

Old 02-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
So still pretty subjective. I'm not trying to play gotcha or anything. Was just curious. I haven't driven one or seen its interior up close. I dove up behind one and first impression was that it seemed a bit ungainly in appearance.
Oh, it totally looks fat and dumpy, but for once that's actually an endearing quality. Kind of like an overweight cat (I should know). Although that too is rather subjective.
Quote:
Impression from photo here was more positive. But I dug out the Car and Driver which probably helped me form opinion. They tested it in $28k guise and still found it lacking against the Kia Soul. And the pics in there, straight from the side and back, make me not care again for the appearance. Admittedly, I don't care for the Soul either and never really considered it.
Huh, weird. I subscribe to C&D and haven't read that article, so thanks for the link. I personally don't care too much for the Soul, its low entry price notwithstanding. You just don't get much for that $15K. It's a nice car in its own right, but it's not as much of a bargain as it would have you believe. I drove them back-to-back and there really was no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands