Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times

Advertisements

Speaking of fat, dumpy and downright ugly, we should consider ourselves lucky this predecessor of the 500L never made it stateside:

FIAT Multipla

Also funky, just not in a good way (IMHO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM

16,662 posts, read 17,426,834 times
I wish we got the option of the 1.4 Abarth engine over here, but given the cost of gas it probably wouldn't sell very well.

We do get the TwinAir gas engine which is actually fun and quirky.

Edit; The Multipla won many awards over here, many of them as being the ugliest car on the road.

Okay, it was possibly unique in the seating arrangement, but having a wider car over here isn't a great idea with our country lanes and narrow parking slots.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I wish we got the option of the 1.4 Abarth engine over here, but given the cost of gas it probably wouldn't sell very well.

We do get the TwinAir gas engine which is actually fun and quirky.
Funny, that's the only engine we get. Although given my experience, 160 hp in a vehicle in Europe goes such a long way, you can probably find one in a Merc E-klasse by now. Them CO2 regs are tough!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Funny, that's the only engine we get. Although given my experience, 160 hp in a vehicle in Europe goes such a long way, you can probably find one in a Merc E-klasse by now. Them CO2 regs are tough!
The CO2 regs are immensely tough, and is another plus for the TwinAir.

The one we have fitted to my daughter's Fiat 500 emits less than the all important 100gm/km.

That means that currently the annual road tax on the vehicle is £0, whilst mine is £210.

Also should she register the car for use in central London, which is too far away for us to need, the car is exempt from the London congestion charge AKA another tax.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The CO2 regs are immensely tough, and is another plus for the TwinAir.

The one we have fitted to my daughter's Fiat 500 emits less than the all important 100gm/km.

That means that currently the annual road tax on the vehicle is £0, whilst mine is £210.

Also should she register the car for use in central London, which is too far away for us to need, the car is exempt from the London congestion charge AKA another tax.
Yep, by virtue of working with global programs at an auto manufacturer, I'm all too aware of the CO2 rules and how stringent they are... I'd love to live in the U.K. someday, but the car I would want to drive there (Ford Focus RS, Renault Megane RS, Vauxhall Astra OPC, Merc A45 AMG or even a Lancia Delta Integrale should I ever fulfill that childhood dream, etc) would probably render me broke on taxes and MOT alone. Plus, I love manuals (if that hasn't become apparent yet) and I would probably be VERY confused with the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the car.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Quote:
Where did you read this? I am speaking from personal experience. It was substantially faster than 10 seconds. Here's a road test from Motor Trend, by the way - 7.5.

Fiat 500L Reviews - Fiat 500L Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

Car and Driver puts the auto trans at 9.1 seconds.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you. OMG, I just got back from the Fiat dealership in Tysons Corner (close to Vienna) and I am in love The Fiat 500L interior is absolutely amazing! The windows all around give you a panoramic view, visibility is just awesome. I loved loved the interior of the car and all the cool features like the mini cooler which though not big, is really nice to cool a drink during the summer. I am going to Hyundai tomorrow, but it will take a lot for the Veloster to take me down from the high that Fiat provided today!! Love, love this car. Oh and talking about the bad reviews on the 500L, i joined a 500Lowners forum and most people there were satisfied with theirs and loved them, nothing like the horror stories on edmunds.
The rest of the posts after this are moot so let me say I am glad you found something you fell in love with. Happy driving!!

Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

Fiat 500L Reviews - Fiat 500L Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER

Car and Driver puts the auto trans at 9.1 seconds.
Motor trend said 7.5 seconds here
2014 Fiat 500L First Drive - Motor Trend

Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Motor trend said 7.5 seconds here
2014 Fiat 500L First Drive - Motor Trend
No, it doesn't.

It says that that is a Motor Trend estimate.

Frankly I'd find that hard to believe, but more importantly the 0-60 figure is archaic.

Even more importantly I am pleased that the OP liked the 500L and it will be interesting to hear her views on the Hyundai.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Huh, weird. I subscribe to C&D and haven't read that article, so thanks for the link. I personally don't care too much for the Soul, its low entry price notwithstanding. You just don't get much for that $15K. It's a nice car in its own right, but it's not as much of a bargain as it would have you believe. I drove them back-to-back and there really was no comparison.
I believe it was the Feb issue. It was not the most recent one, which I am guessing is Mar. The Soul in the test cost $26k, so it's apparently quite amazing what you can add on to it....

Anyway, good luck DCmum. If you get one of these Fiats let us know how you like it after several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands