Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:13 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

The Rivians have an independent electric motor at each drive wheel. Interesting video showing the pickup version doing a "tank turn" with one side driving forward and the other driving backward. For on-road maneuvering this probably is just a parlor trick, but for off-roading, a 180-degree turn might allow the driver to get out of a tight spot while still driving forward, instead of backward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq9lnMxUA6I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 12:40 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
For each wheel rather than at each wheel. The motors are inboard but. Also they can't tank turn which is probably a good thing as, well, if you want to tear up your own field go on ahead and do that but having a bunch of self-entitled jerks in expensive trucks maximizing the environmental destruction they can accomplish doing tank turns is poor form. Rivian is a brand that probably appeals more to people with less outdoor exerpience and hence outdoor ettiquete than say the Jeep crowd which has a lot of the same issues with people buying $60,000 Jeeps and then just having no sense of stay the trail etiquette, pull out on whatever I want, wherever I want, throw my trash around, cut down whatever when I want to have a fire. Jeep there's a pretty good community that generally whips the bad apples in shape pretty quick.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:46 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
For each wheel rather than at each wheel. The motors are inboard but. Also they can't tank turn which is probably a good thing as, well, if you want to tear up your own field go on ahead and do that but having a bunch of self-entitled jerks in expensive trucks maximizing the environmental destruction they can accomplish doing tank turns is poor form. It's not exactly surprising to me. Rivian is a brand that probably appeals more to people with less outdoor exerpience and hence outdoor ettiquete than say the Jeep crowd which has a lot of the same issues with people buying $60,000 Jeeps and then just having no sense of stay the trail etiquette, pull out on whatever I want, wherever I want, throw my trash around, cut down whatever when I want to have a fire.
Yea, the tank turn seems pretty destructive to its surroundings given the state of that field with the overhead view shot.

I don't actually think your point about people with less outdoor experience or less outdoor etiquette is quite right if that's in comparison to the general buying public or general truck buying public.

Having the free time and resources to do a lot of outdoorsy things is not that available for a lot of people and there's certainly a sizable market for somewhat to extremely pricey outdoor gear and clothing, and then to have the time to go on frequent and/or long outdoors excursions which would thus be experience. The etiquette bit would seem to align fairly well with some idea of awareness of the environment which would likely have some overlap with people interested in electric vehicles.

Now do I think that'll be the majority of Rivian owners? No, not at all, but I do think it's reasonable that the proportion of Rivian owners in relation to that of the general public or truck-buying public would rank a bit higher on outdoors experience and/or etiquette. Where I think Rivian will miss the mark in terms of the greater truck buying public are those who use it for actual work as the bed's pretty small and the vehicle pricey for the segment. I'd be curious to see if Rivian in the coming years, were it to expand its lineup and production capacity, ends up going into more utilitarian pickup trucks. They're certainly not against utilitarian work vehicles as a general idea since one of the three vehicles they're producing is very much a work vehicle. Conversely, I wonder if some version of that work vehicle will be released to the general public in some form as it looks like it'd be a pretty sweet campervan/motorhome.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-02-2022 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-02-2022, 12:59 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
For each wheel rather than at each wheel. The motors are inboard but. Also they can't tank turn which is probably a good thing as, well, if you want to tear up your own field go on ahead and do that but having a bunch of self-entitled jerks in expensive trucks maximizing the environmental destruction they can accomplish doing tank turns is poor form. Rivian is a brand that probably appeals more to people with less outdoor exerpience and hence outdoor ettiquete than say the Jeep crowd which has a lot of the same issues with people buying $60,000 Jeeps and then just having no sense of stay the trail etiquette, pull out on whatever I want, wherever I want, throw my trash around, cut down whatever when I want to have a fire. Jeep there's a pretty good community that generally whips the bad apples in shape pretty quick.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion LOL. Feel better? Did I misspell anything?

Old 02-02-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, the tank turn seems pretty destructive to its surroundings given the state of that field with the overhead view shot.

I don't actually think your point about people with less outdoor experience or less outdoor etiquette is quite right if that's in comparison to the general buying public.

Having the free time and resources to do a lot of outdoorsy things is not that available for a lot of people and there's certainly a sizable market for somewhat to extremely pricey outdoor gear and clothing. The etiquette bit would seem to align fairly well with some idea of awareness of the environment which would likely have some overlap with people interested in electric vehicles.

General public generally doesn't really go out into the backcountry so I don't particularly care about the percentage of the general public that has no common sense in that regard. Heck, a lot of Jeeps and I'm sure Rivians will be bought by mall crawler crowds and that's fine by me. Once again, if they are self-entitled and lack any sembelence of stay the trail etiquette I don't care as you'll only find them at the shopping mall anyway. The problem is that percentage that buy Jeeps, Broncos, Rivians, Hummers, or what have you that have no outdoor etiquette and then proceed to take them outdoors. It's not just off-roading either by any means, it's just that you can do a lot more damage a lot more easily with a 7,000 poud truck than you can with with a pair of trail runners. You'd be amazed though. Used to be a nice loop trail out in EBMUD watershed lands with a couple picnic table. Great place to do a short hike and have a picnic lunch. Some idiots hiked in a chopped up one of the picnic tables for firewood. Rest got removed shortly thereafter.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
General public generally doesn't really go out into the backcountry so I don't particularly care about the percentage of the general public that has no common sense in that regard. Heck, a lot of Jeeps and I'm sure Rivians will be bought by mall crawler crowds and that's fine by me. Once again, if they are self-entitled and lack any sembelence of stay the trail etiquette I don't care as you'll only find them at the shopping mall anyway. The problem is that percentage that buy Jeeps, Broncos, Rivians, Hummers, or what have you that have no outdoor etiquette and then proceed to take them outdoors. It's not just off-roading either by any means, it's just that you can do a lot more damage a lot more easily with a 7,000 poud truck than you can with with a pair of trail runners. You'd be amazed though. Used to be a nice loop trail out in EBMUD watershed lands with a couple picnic table. Great place to do a short hike and have a picnic lunch. Some idiots hiked in a chopped up one of the picnic tables for firewood. Rest got removed shortly thereafter.
I don't think this makes sense in response to what was said.

Your claim was:
Quote:
Rivian is a brand that probably appeals more to people with less outdoor exerpience and hence outdoor ettiquete than say the Jeep crowd
I responded directly to that in kind, though I should have added or said the Jeep crowd. I do not think it's likely that the percentage of people buying a Rivian are going to be those with less outdoor experience because there is certainly an upscale market for outdoors equipment and clothing and being more well-heeled can help with having significant leisure time to pursue having outdoors experience. Meanwhile, outdoor etiquette implies a kind of environmental awareness or respect which would seem to have some overlap with the kind of people who would be willing to put up good money to go with an electric vehicle. I think your original claim doesn't make much sense.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think this makes sense in response to what was said.

Your claim was:

I responded directly to that in kind, though I should have added or said the Jeep crowd. I do not think it's likely that the percentage of people buying a Rivian are going to be those with less outdoor experience because there is certainly an upscale market for outdoors equipment and clothing and being more well-heeled can help with having significant leisure time to pursue having outdoors experience. Meanwhile, outdoor etiquette implies a kind of environmental awareness or respect which would seem to have some overlap with the kind of people who would be willing to put up good money to go with an electric vehicle. I think your original claim doesn't make much sense.
I would say that is my opinion rather than claim, sort of semantic but claim is a stronger word. But yes, my opinion is Rivian probably appeals more to people with less outdoor experience and hence less outdoor etiquette than the Jeep crowd. I don't particularly care you disagree with my opinon or not. You're welcome to yours and frankly I hope that you're right and I'm wrong. The Jeep crowd is overall pretty good when it comes to that.

Old 02-02-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I would say that is my opinion rather than claim, sort of semantic but claim is a stronger word. But yes, my opinion is Rivian probably appeals more to people with less outdoor experience and hence less outdoor etiquette than the Jeep crowd. I don't particularly care you disagree with my opinon or not. You're welcome to yours and frankly I hope that you're right and I'm wrong. The Jeep crowd is overall pretty good when it comes to that.
Right, and I disagreed and said why which I think was reasonable. The Jeep crowd is pretty alright. There's also an inherent bonus to the local environment and to good etiquette from just being fairly quiet and not blowing exhaust which is pretty nice.

Another bonus for plugins is that there are often outlets meant for RVs at some sites, and I think as more people get the R1T, the more likely we'll be seeing some interesting truck camping videos which will be even better with the R1S SUV. That spendy camp kitchen is also an induction stove which is pretty fast and efficient and low on fire risk, so that's a nice touch.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-02-2022 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-04-2022, 09:21 AM

There's a lot of local opposition to the new plant going up in the outskirts of Atlanta, Georgia. With that, where would you like for Rivian to set up were that to not work out?

I'd love for Sparrows Point near Baltimore to be in the running. It's at the mouth of a major port and has access to major highways and freight rail lines, it's close to both the growing South (leans towards pickups) and in the Northeast Corridor (leans towards EVs). There are a number of German automakers set up in the region so there's a colocation of skills and supplies there. There was a massive steel mill in the area that closed about a decade ago, and I do think going with the re-use of brownfield sites, though more costly, also makes more sense in a lot of ways.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of local opposition to the new plant going up in the outskirts of Atlanta, Georgia. With that, where would you like for Rivian to set up were that to not work out?

I'd love for Sparrows Point near Baltimore to be in the running. It's at the mouth of a major port and has access to major highways and freight rail lines, it's close to both the growing South (leans towards pickups) and in the Northeast Corridor (leans towards EVs). There are a number of German automakers set up in the region so there's a colocation of skills and supplies there. There was a massive steel mill in the area that closed about a decade ago, and I do think going with the re-use of brownfield sites, though more costly, also makes more sense in a lot of ways.
Aside from the normal NIMBYs is there any actual opposition to Georgia or just an opposition to the billion of giveaways? If Georgia is commited to the $5 billion in welfare and the local NIMBY opposition is all that much they'll just pick another site in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands