Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Aside from the normal NIMBYs is there any actual opposition to Georgia or just an opposition to the billion of giveaways? If Georgia is commited to the $5 billion in welfare and the local NIMBY opposition is all that much they'll just pick another site in Georgia.

Incentives package is probably a big part of it, though I'm pretty sure there wasn't a $5 billion dollar in giveaways from the state to Rivian to put that plant there as that's the cost of the entire plant.

I do think using this as an opportunity to shop around a bit more might be worthwhile, and I'd really prefer if this was done on a brownfield site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 01:30 PM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
Numerous nits are picked by the boys at Throttle House, but overall, it's a clear thumbs-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmG0ZlnmHE

Old 03-02-2022, 06:14 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
And in a surprise that's probably not that much of a surprise to anyone Rivian quietly jacks up the price of the R1T up by 12,000. One has to wonder whether it was always the intent to do the dick move bait and switch for everyone who put in preorders or just a necessity given COVID price inflation. The price hike doesn't surprise me and even at the new price of 79,500 it's not a bad buy.

Ah well, Rivian is off the list for me. Reeks to much of a planned bait and switch. On the upside, wait should be sooner. I imagine a lot of people who put in reservations will be cancelling orders.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:30 AM

https://electrek.co/2022/03/03/after...ounder-ceo-rj/

Rivian's apparently going to stick with originally configured price for anyone who ordered before the announced price hike including allowing those who had a reservation and then cancelled after the announcement to reinstate their original configuration.

Basically, anyone who put in a pre-order prior to the price hike has got a hell of a deal. Probably will end up worth just straight reselling it even if you don't want the vehicle. Make that money, Malloric!

Old 03-03-2022, 10:04 AM

No skin in this game. I have a reservation on an F-150 although I'm still skeptical that I ever see it at close to the advertised price.

Good to see that Rivian decided after the fact that screwing customers with bait and switch tactics was not good business sense. It's probably moot personally that I won't buy anything from them. I was mostly interested in what a more basic model would cost, which now we know it's basically the same 70k that the bait model cost. While the bait was a good deal at bait price, it was more than I needed and wanted to spend. Regardless of my opinions on the company, the lesser model just is obviously less impressive than the bait model at the same price.

Once they've actually fulfilled all the preorders at the bait pricing I might reevaluate the company and whether they're someone I'd ever buy anything from in the future. Total monkey throwing dung show over there at Rivian. If they just capped reservations at an introductory price, problem avoided. If they just got out front and said due to supply pricing increases we have to raise the price, some people would grumble about it but they wouldn't get any major blowback for a $6,000 price increase in 2022 and then another one later in 2023. Instead they drop the base model at the old price and raise the price by 12-15k at the same time. There's just no way they didn't anticipate that being read exactly how it was perceived which was a planned bait and switch. They just thought they could get away with it and were surprised by the amount of negative backlash.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
No skin in this game. I have a reservation on an F-150 although I'm still skeptical that I ever see it at close to the advertised price.

Good to see that Rivian decided after the fact that screwing customers with bait and switch tactics was not good business sense. It's probably moot personally that I won't buy anything from them. I was mostly interested in what a more basic model would cost, which now we know it's basically the same 70k that the bait model cost. While the bait was a good deal at bait price, it was more than I needed and wanted to spend. Regardless of my opinions on the company, the lesser model just is obviously less impressive than the bait model at the same price.

Once they've actually fulfilled all the preorders at the bait pricing I might reevaluate the company and whether they're someone I'd ever buy anything from in the future. Total monkey throwing dung show over there at Rivian. If they just capped reservations at an introductory price, problem avoided. If they just got out front and said due to supply pricing increases we have to raise the price, some people would grumble about it but they wouldn't get any major blowback for a $6,000 price increase in 2022 and then another one later in 2023. Instead they drop the base model at the old price and raise the price by 12-15k at the same time. There's just no way they didn't anticipate that being read exactly how it was perceived which was a planned bait and switch. They just thought they could get away with it and were surprised by the amount of negative backlash.
I thought you had mentioned somewhere that they were dead to you, but didn't realize you never had a live order.

The model with the large battery pack and four motors was an absurdly good deal for anyone interested and can afford it. It's more "normally" priced now. That new base price and configuration if inflation continues and this ramp-up takes a while would probably still be a pretty good deal. However, since it's still probably two years away, maybe they should limit or remove the ability to order it lest this happens again.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-03-2022 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I thought you had mentioned somewhere that they were dead to you, but didn't realize you never had a live order.

The model with the large battery pack and four motors was an absurdly good deal for anyone interested and can afford it. It's more "normally" priced now. That new base price and configuration if inflation continues and this ramp-up takes a while would probably still be a pretty good deal. However, since it's still probably two years away, maybe they should limit or remove the ability to order it lest this happens again.
Never really found it to be. It might a good value for someone else but I have no need for 800 HP, 15" of ground clearance, air suspension, 22" rimz and whatnot. A basic 35k is Tacoma or Ranger would be all I'd need in a truck. I can see the value for another buyer. a RAM 3500 Cummins 4x4 with a lower trim Big Horn is around 65,000. It's a lot of value in a truck but I wouldn't say it's an absurdly good deal for anyone interested and can afford it. I just don't need any of that to where I'd spend an extra 30k over a Tacoma for it.

I imagine for most people look at the Rivians the dosh isn't a serious impediment. If they needed to dig in the couch cushinos for the extra they're probably like me and could. New price or old I have enough in semi-liquid investments I could just pay cash for it next week. I have that because I don't just frivilously blow money at every opportunity though more than because I'm high enough income that 80k just really is nothing to me.

I was more interested in waiting to see what the basic verson was. If it came in at around 45-50k, probably at the price without air suspension, basic interior, much less power, more like an electric Tacoma I'd be much more interested in that than the current Rivian at the bait price of 68k or new price of 80k. It didn't. For a different buyer though who wants more of an electric Land Rover than an electric Tacoma, I don't think at 80k the Rivian is a terrible value.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Never really found it to be. It might a good value for someone else but I have no need for 800 HP, 15" of ground clearance, air suspension, 22" rimz and whatnot. A basic 35k is Tacoma or Ranger would be all I'd need in a truck. I can see the value for another buyer. a RAM 3500 Cummins 4x4 with a lower trim Big Horn is around 65,000. It's a lot of value in a truck but I wouldn't say it's an absurdly good deal for anyone interested and can afford it. I just don't need any of that to where I'd spend an extra 30k over a Tacoma for it.

I imagine for most people look at the Rivians the dosh isn't a serious impediment. If they needed to dig in the couch cushinos for the extra they're probably like me and could. New price or old I have enough in semi-liquid investments I could just pay cash for it next week. I have that because I don't just frivilously blow money at every opportunity though more than because I'm high enough income that 80k just really is nothing to me.

I was more interested in waiting to see what the basic verson was. If it came in at around 45-50k, probably at the price without air suspension, basic interior, much less power, more like an electric Tacoma I'd be much more interested in that than the current Rivian at the bait price of 68k or new price of 80k. It didn't. For a different buyer though who wants more of an electric Land Rover than an electric Tacoma, I don't think at 80k the Rivian is a terrible value.
Yea, I don't think it's for everyone, that's for sure. I wrote for people interested and can afford it and that definitely overlaps with the Land Rover crowd.

If Rivian does end up going downmarket at some point, I think it'll be quite a few vehicle releases later. They're ramping up production, but I don't think production capacity will be anywhere near saturation of the luxury market (and their utilitarian delivery vehicles) for years to come. I wouldn't be surprised if their next consumer target vehicle after the R1S and R1T trims ends up being a smaller premium truck and SUV and/or a luxury van/MPV.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:58 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Latest news from/about Rivian:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/10/rivi...s-q4-2021.html

A bit of a bump in the road. Do you think they have enough ground clearance to survive it?

Old 03-11-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Latest news from/about Rivian:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/10/rivi...s-q4-2021.html

A bit of a bump in the road. Do you think they have enough ground clearance to survive it?

I think it's likely they'll survive for at least the next few years. They have a factory up and running that's at least completed some orders for a vehicle that has gotten rave reviews and the other vehicle is very similar, still well over a dozen billion of cash on hand, tens of thousands of reservations, and about 100K in commercial orders from Amazon whose head is also a major investor. That's pretty good overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands