Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

My first and absolute most favorite..my 67' Camaro. Dream car and a real monster.

This is identical to my 3rd vehicle and my second favorite.

74's Olds Cutlass Supreme... great car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:52 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
My first car was a pea-green 1966 VW Beetle, "The Green Machine." What a piece of junk! All four fenders were bashed in, the front bumper was an irregularly-shaped piece of driftwood, and the doors and fenders were decorated with a border of sparkly emerald-green spray paint. The antenna was a coat hanger, and the turn signal broke off from metal fatigue, so it was just a little stub on the steering column.

The Green Machine's electrical system was shot, and the starter didn't work at least half the time. I got a lot of pushes from friendly strangers, and I also learned how to compression-start it in second gear while rolling downhill. The headlights would dim if you took your foot off the accelerator. But it was my first car, and I loved it.

My favorite car was a 1987 Honda Accord LX sedan, champagne beige. A very nice car, comfortable and reliable, too. I think it is Japanese-made because its VIN number starts with J. I still have it, though it's mostly garaged now. It has less than 60,000 original miles on it, a real "little old lady" car. I think it could go another 27 years easily, so I hate to think of selling. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that new cars have, but it's a real classic.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
All my life (till my current car, which is Honda Inspire) I was devoted Nissan driver.
I started with (Nissan) Datsun 210 Cherry 2 door (all my cars are coupe and black, except one that was red ), and had many models that were popular in Europe. I continued to drive Nissan here in the US.
My current car is Honda (sorry, Nissan ) just because I didn't liked any of the Nissan models at that time.
I am going back to Nissan when I need a new car, AND they introduce a sporty coupe that I like
Otherwise I stay with Honda.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:24 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Reading through this thread I see people starting out with lovely cars.

My first car, if you can give it that description, was a £50 piece of junk I bought off a so called friend.

I also bought his racing bike (cycle) for the same amount and I nearly got a higher speed out of the cycle.

The car was an Austin 1300, the 1300 referring to the swept volume of the cylinders, ie 1.3 Litres.

That was pretty academic since I'm not sure if all four cylinders actually fired at any one time. The oil sump had more STP than oil in it to try to seal the leaks.

Highlights, or rather lowlights, included the windscreen wipers failing in London and on one hairy occasion the lights failing instantly and spectacularly on a deserted and unlit road in the dead of night whilst travelling at it's top speed of around 50mph.

Frankly it was a relief to me, and especially my mum, when it died only a few months into ownership.

Here's a link to a photo of what I'm taliking about;

Classic Parts Photo Album / 9.psd

I continued to save up and got a brand new Fiat 127 which was so much fun. I did all kinds of things to it and loved it right up to the day my brother wrote it off- thanks bro.

Despite its small engine it was great fun and handled brilliantly.

There was one bend not too far from home where I really pushed it and if I got it right would just start to lift the rear inside wheel.

I don't do that kind of thing anymore, and the thing is that to do so with modern cars with wider tyres you'd be really pushing it.

Here's a link to the Fiat 127;

Modifications of Fiat 127. www.picsauto.com

I've had better cars since but I've probably had most fun in that one.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ My first car in the US, I think, it was an older Datsun 260 - (I had no credit history, and no idea what junk has been sold at the "dealerships" . Those cars would never pass the rigorous vehicle inspection in Europe!) was the most unreliable piece of crap you can imagine. I literally feared crossing any intersections, because for some unexplained reason, the car always died there, causing havoc and traffic jam
After that I had 1978 Nissan Sentra and loved it! I gave it later to my son who was driving it in HS and during college, and he never had any problems with it. That car had over 250K miles when he finally sold it. Some years later I saw it on the street still running well

Last edited by elnina; 04-02-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
First car was a 1939 Studebaker Commander business coupe that my step dad won in a raffle for $3.00 in 1956. Had a lot of fun in that car. Large trunk for getting friends into the drive in. Lasted thru HS and 2 years of marriage.

Favorite car is still TBD.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
First: 1964 VW bug. Red. Racing engine with mags on the back. At age 17, I left home for college in that car. I loved that car.

Favorite: 1965 Ford Mustang. Four on the floor. She could fly!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All my life (till my current car, which is Honda Inspire) I was devoted Nissan driver.
I started with (Nissan) Datsun 210 Cherry 2 door (all my cars are coupe and black, except one that was red ), and had many models that were popular in Europe. I continued to drive Nissan here in the US.
My current car is Honda (sorry, Nissan ) just because I didn't liked any of the Nissan models at that time.
I am going back to Nissan when I need a new car, AND they introduce a sporty coupe that I like
Otherwise I stay with Honda.
Elnina, Nissan still has the Z model, I think they're up to the 370 Z now, and the new and sporty GTR.. It might cost you a small fortune though.. If I remember correctly, they're between $70,000 and 100,000.. I'm not sure what the suggested retail price on the 370 Z is, but I'm sure it's higher than the GTR...

Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
First car? 1956 Ford Fairlane. Bought it for $75!

Favorite car? 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. red w/ white vinyl top. First car I ever bought brand new.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
My first and absolute most favorite..my 67' Camaro. Dream car and a real monster.

This is identical to my 3rd vehicle and my second favorite.

74's Olds Cutlass Supreme... great car!
Dave, that 1967 Camaro is definitely a CLASSIC! If you can find one to rebuild/restore, it would be worth the time and effort.

I had a 1979 Camaro Z-28, from 1981 until 1984, it's nothing like the 1967 you had and I had to sell it in 1985 because I started hearing a faint knocking noise in the engine, it sounded like a crankshaft bearing or bearings were worn out, so I got rid of it and I got the 1984 Mustang GT, which had the 5.0/302 engine and that engine produced more horsepower than the 350 that was in the Z-28. The 1974 through 1981 model years, for both the Camaro and the Mustang, were not the best.

I like that Cutlass Supreme you had. They looked nice, but they lacked the muscle car power of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Here's a picture of the Z-28 I had 30 years ago, yes I had hair back then..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics