Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend!
Scroll on down for Today's short and sweet Tip!

LUGGAGE AND BACK PAIN

I found these three quick tips in the latest issue of Reader's Digest. When you're traveling with luggage, these tips will help you avoid straining your back:

1. Don't pack your suitcase on the floor. Set it on a bed or table so you don't have to lean so far down, putting stress on your lower back.

2. Don't pull your luggage through the airport! This strains your back and shoulders. Instead of pulling, push your suitcase, keeping your palms facing down.

3. Don't heave your bag into the overhead bin. On an airplane or other vehicle with overhead bins do this - Face the bin and contract your abdominal muscles; lift the suitcase to chest height and place it on the headrest of the aisle seat so you can readjust its position; then, if you need to, rise up on your toes before sliding the suitcase into the bin.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-28-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Great back saving tips Pam! Thanks! Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Well I was just doing it ALL wrong! Thanks Pam!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Our "good" luggage has four wheels so I push them around while they're upright. Works great on hard surfaces, a little tough on carpet, and I watch out for gaps wider that 1/2" or door sills.

Great idea pushing them instead of pulling.

If you're short enough that you have to go tippy toe to put them in an overhead ask the the 6 footer next to you if he will help.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
We're off on a cruise soon- no weight limit on the luggage!

Bet the girls take full use of that!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
Great tip!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Thanks Pammy!
I used to always pack a year's supply of things whenever I took a trip (even if it's just for a few days, it's a woman thing...) until hubby taught me to travel light! No stress, no back pain.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:20 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

LUGGAGE AND BACK PAIN

I found these three quick tips in the latest issue of Reader's Digest. When you're traveling with luggage, these tips will help you avoid straining your back:

1. Don't pack your suitcase on the floor. Set it on a bed or table so you don't have to lean so far down, putting stress on your lower back.

2. Don't pull your luggage through the airport! This strains your back and shoulders. Instead of pulling, push your suitcase, keeping your palms facing down.

3. Don't heave your bag into the overhead bin. On an airplane or other vehicle with overhead bins do this - Face the bin and contract your abdominal muscles; lift the suitcase to chest height and place it on the headrest of the aisle seat so you can readjust its position; then, if you need to, rise up on your toes before sliding the suitcase into the bin.

4. Leave the kitchen sink at home.

Many people take way too much with them. When I first started traveling for work my carry-on bag weighed 30 pounds and my checked bag was a 26 inch rollerboard that was usually within a pound or two of the 50 pound limit. It did not take long for me to get real tired of lugging everything around. Now a days my carry-on bag weighs 25 pounds and my checked bag is now a gym bag that usually weighs under 20 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics