Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,053,002 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?
Perform CPR? (not currently certified but I still know how to do it)
Drive a manual transmission?
Build a fire?
Swim?
Parallel park?
Shoot a gun?....Does a BB gun count?...lol.
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do?

Too many things to list here!...lol.

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use?

The original "Charlie's Angels"...Jaclyn Smith, Farrah Fawcett, and Kate Jackson. Cheryl Ladd was on the show after Farrah left. I had the hots for all of them but Jaclyn Smith was my favorite.

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? One of my first friends from school, his name was Robert.
What was their relationship to you? Friend from school
Why do you remember them? We were long-time friends and his parents were friends of my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,431,725 times
Default Qotd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Yep, another all-nighter.

Sometimes the Qs are inspired by the week's events, or something peculiar about this date, or they just come out of my hat.

Today's Qs just came out of my hat.

Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?No -- and I'm not learning how!
Perform CPR?No -- now this I wouldn't mind learning.
Drive a manual transmission? --never could quite get the hang of it.
Build a fire? If I have a starter log.
Swim? Yes!!! I grew up with a lake at the end of the street and learned how to swim when I was three. I love water.
Parallel park?-- yes.
Shoot a gun?-- yes.
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Well, I almost hate to say, because I can't do everything. Nobody can do everything!I guess cook a basic meal. Everyone has to eat.

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use?
First it was Davy Jones of the Monkees and then it was Joe "Broadway Joe"/ "Joe Willie" Namath. I had a huge poster of him in the Jets uniform.

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? My next door neighbors growing up and my parents' friends.
What was their relationship to you? See above.
Why do you remember them? They were all very kind people.

Today in History:
2011 The Northern Lights become visible over much of North America due to a coronal mass ejection
1991 "Dancing at Lughnasa" opens at Plymouth Theater New York City for 421 performances
1984 Steffi Graf plays her 1st pro tennis match
1970 Nancy Walker creates Ida Morgenstein role on Mary Tyler Moore Show
1963 Sandy Koufax is unanimous winner of Cy Young Award
1939 Nylon stockings go on sale for 1st time (Wilmington Delaware)

Today’s Word:
histrionics
Pronunciation: (his-tree-ON-iks)
Meaning: noun:
1. Melodramatic or hysterical behavior calculated for effect.
2. Theatrical performances.
Etymology: From Latin histrio (actor). Earliest documented use: 1824.

Today is:
Food Day
United Nations Day
World Development Information Day
National Bologna Day
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game Day 1908
Niagara Falls Barrel Day (1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.)

Quote of the Day:
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain

Have a great day everyone!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,064,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Can I volunteer to be a dummy?
Off to the doghouse you go! (points that-a-way)

Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,358,929 times
[
Sometimes the Qs are inspired by the week's events, or something peculiar about this date, or they just come out of my hat.

Today's Qs just came out of my hat.

Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? NOT REALLY LOL.
Perform CPR? I would need a refresher course but have taken class for it!
Drive a manual transmission? x
Build a fire?
Swim? xx
Parallel park? xxx
Shoot a gun? once (a rifle) with my dad in the woods of PA! shooting cans high up in the mountains!
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do?

Just for Fun:
BOBBY SHERMAN,*I even had a Bobby Sherman lunchbox*! DONNY OSMOND, THE HARDY BOYS!!!!! ESPECIALLY PARKER STEVENSON!

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? old friends.......
What was their relationship to you?
Why do you remember them?
they are still friends! I have known some since 7th grade I still keep in touch with!

)

Today is:
Food Day yay! I eat too much somedays!
United Nations Day
National Bologna Day yuk! The smell of it makes me want to throw up!
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game Day 1908
Niagara Falls Barrel Day (1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.) YAY!!! I used to live near the Falls!! Gave tours to all the relatives that came to visit lol.

Quote of the Day:
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain

Have a great day everyone! [/quote]

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM

44,409 posts, read 20,147,006 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Not really. I've done it twice by myself and it took a very long time because I had to get the owner's manual out and follow the instructions. I was a nervous wreck because I was afraid of doing it wrong.
Perform CPR? Yepper.
Drive a manual transmission? Nope.
Build a fire? Si.
Swim? Yep; since it was a tiny tyke.
Parallel park? Yep, and I'm very good at it. However, when I have a choice I prefer to use angle parking.
Shoot a gun? No.
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Everyone should be able to cook nutritious meals.

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use? When I was a kid, I loved Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits. I can't think of any others right now, although there wre probably a few more.

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, whom do you remember farthest back? My lifelong best friend, Laurie. Our mothers were best friends. Laur was born 2 years after I, and we've remained close all these years.

Today’s Word:
histrionics
Pronunciation: (his-tree-ON-iks)
Meaning: noun:
1. Melodramatic or hysterical behavior calculated for effect.
2. Theatrical performances.
I'm sick and tired of the histrionics of the political candidates and will be super glad once election day has come and gone.

Today is:
Food Day Yippee! I've been on vacation since Saturday and have enjoyed some fabulous meals this week!
United Nations Day
National Bologna Day Yum! I haven't eaten bologna in years.
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.) Seems reasonable to me. Except - this week I'm on vacation, so I'm not working at all!
Take Me Out to the Ball Game Day 1908 Seeing a baseball game in person is fun; watching one on TV is less exciting than watching paint dry.
Niagara Falls Barrel Day (1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.) Idiot.

Happy Hump Day, everybody! .
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics