Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,618,924 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Yep, another all-nighter.

Sometimes the Qs are inspired by the week's events, or something peculiar about this date, or they just come out of my hat.

Today's Qs just came out of my hat.

Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?
Perform CPR?
Drive a manual transmission?
Build a fire?
Swim?
Parallel park?
Shoot a gun?
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do?

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use?

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back?
What was their relationship to you?
Why do you remember them?

Today in History:
2011 The Northern Lights become visible over much of North America due to a coronal mass ejection
1991 "Dancing at Lughnasa" opens at Plymouth Theater New York City for 421 performances
1984 Steffi Graf plays her 1st pro tennis match
1970 Nancy Walker creates Ida Morgenstein role on Mary Tyler Moore Show
1963 Sandy Koufax is unanimous winner of Cy Young Award
1939 Nylon stockings go on sale for 1st time (Wilmington Delaware)

Today’s Word:
histrionics
Pronunciation: (his-tree-ON-iks)
Meaning: noun:
1. Melodramatic or hysterical behavior calculated for effect.
2. Theatrical performances.
Etymology: From Latin histrio (actor). Earliest documented use: 1824.

Today is:
Food Day
United Nations Day
World Development Information Day
National Bologna Day
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game Day 1908
Niagara Falls Barrel Day (1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.)

Quote of the Day:
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,523,853 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Sort of...
Perform CPR? Somewhat
Drive a manual transmission? Yes
Build a fire? Yes
Swim? Yes
Parallel park? Yes
Shoot a gun? Yes
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Be able to read a map

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use? Cat Stevens

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? My mother's mother, my grandma, and I was around 3 or 4.
What was their relationship to you? My grandmother
Why do you remember them? We picked her up and she got in the car and looked like she was in pain. I was only 3 or 4, and she said her leg was asleep. I didn't understand what that meant, but I was worried about her.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,999,882 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?
Perform CPR? If only I could remember!
Drive a manual transmission? Who can't?
Build a fire?
Swim?
Parallel park?
Shoot a gun? All of them at once!
Drive well, maintain their auto...etc...

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use?
Didn't have any!

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? Kindergarten teacher...
What was their relationship to you? .......^^^^^

Today in History:
2011 The Northern Lights become visible over much of North America due to a coronal mass ejection
1991 "Dancing at Lughnasa" opens at Plymouth Theater New York City for 421 performances

Today’s Word:
histrionics
Etymology: From Latin histrio (actor). Earliest documented use: 1824.

Today is:
Food Day
United Nations Day
National Bologna Day
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.) Should be 24 hours.
Niagara Falls Barrel Day (1901, Annie Edson Taylor became the first person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel.)

Quote of the Day:
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain

Have a great day everyone!
Thanks PatsCats!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,771,800 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Yes, but I have AAA for that.
Perform CPR? Yes, and have had to use it.
Drive a manual transmission? Yes, that's how I learned to drive.
Build a fire? Yes
Swim? Yes
Parallel park? Yes, but don't like to!
Shoot a gun? Yes, bg and small!
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Cook a simple meal, at least boil water!

Just for Fun:
I did not have any idols.

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Houze. She is 102 years old and still living in the town I grew up in.
What was their relationship to you? She was my mothers' friend
Why do you remember them? She had bright red hair and smelled of Ivory soap! She was kind, fun and loving.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
histrionics
Etymology: From Latin histrio (actor). Earliest documented use: 1824. I saw a demonstration of this today at work!

Today is:
Food Day
United Nations Day
National Bologna Day
40-Hour Work Week Day (1940, the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 went into effect.)

Quote of the Day:
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. ~ Mark Twain and it takes fewer muscles!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,497,105 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Nope
Perform CPR? Nope
Drive a manual transmission? Nope - I've never driven a car with manual transmission. I do know what one has to do, but I've never actually done it!
Build a fire? Yup
Swim? Nope I have a 'thing' about getting water in my eyes and ears, which makes swimming rather unwieldy!
Parallel park? Yup - parallel parking on the street is very common here in Oz. Unless they're in a mall, most stores etc. in large towns or cities don't have their own parking areas.
Shoot a gun? Well if you count my Grandad's air rifle, and the guns at the funfair... yes.
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Balance their budget!

Just for Fun:
The Beatles

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? I remember most of the neighbourhood kids that I knew when I was around four and five years old.
What was their relationship to you? Playmates.
Why do you remember them? I dunno - I've always had a good memory for things that happened when I was young. My long term memory is much sounder than short term!

Thanks PatsCats.

Happy Hump Day.

Last edited by Kobber; 10-24-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,116,416 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?

Can't even lift it out of the trunk.

Perform CPR?
In theory.

No

Build a fire?
Yes

Swim?
Haven't in decades.

Parallel park?
Have't parallel parked since my road test in 1973, so no.

Shoot a gun?
Shotgun? Handgun? Rifle? Water pistol? Super Soaker?

Sew? No. Read? Yes. Fish? Yes. Follow instruction? (to assemble) Yes. Research the Internet? Yes. Blow up party balloons? No. Match separates? no. Dance? debatable.

Just for Fun:

When I was a teen, I didn't just like teen celebrities, I liked celebrity men, too.

Keith Hopwood and Karl Green from Herman's Hermits. Kurt Russell from The Travels of Jamie McPheeters (still think Kurt Russell is a good looking man, he's my age, and still working). Vic Morrow from Combat. David McCallum from The Man From UNCLE (nice to see he's still working on NCIS even if I don't watch it). George Harrison (I had to say one Beatle)

Bonus Question(s):

The family who lived next door.

see above

The older daughter fished me out of a public pool when I jumped into the 10ft end by mistake (summer before I started kindergarten) and almost drowned (I didn't know it though, just fascinated with seeing things from under the water for the first time. The dad, a policeman, died marching in the Memorial Day parade and when the police came to tell them, their dog started howling and howled all night long. It was very sad.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 AM

44,682 posts, read 61,816,533 times
Sometimes the Qs are inspired by the week's events, or something peculiar about this date, or they just come out of my hat.

Today's Qs just came out of my hat.

Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Yes.
Perform CPR? Yes.
Drive a manual transmission? Yes.
Build a fire? Yes.
Swim? Yes.
Parallel park? Yes.
Shoot a gun? Yes.
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Use a tv remote.

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use? Betty White and Wonder Woman.

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? Billy Bob Boo Boo.
What was their relationship to you? Neighbor kid.
Why do you remember them? He got stuck in a chimney and the fire dept had to extricate him. He was 4 years old, it was in the newspaper with his picture..

"Happy Hump Day", everyone enjoy it, that's an order...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,021,366 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire?
Not only can I change a flat tire, but I can also fix the flat tire. I have done this at least 100 times.

Perform CPR?
I have a piece of paper saying I know how to perform CPR. But then you know how pieces of paper tend to lie.

At the old age of eleven I learned to drive in a car that had three in the tree.

Build a fire?
Despite my Boy Scout troop leader being afraid to let us have matches I learned how to start a fire.

Swim?
I have not been swimming in 40 years. But I suppose it it is like riding a bike...One never forgets how.

Parallel park?
I can. I remember when I first took the driving test for my license the examiner told me to park along the curb behind the last car. When I asked if he wanted me to pull past and back in he said no. He said he was tired of having to write accident reports for cars that were damaged by parallel parking.

Shoot a gun?
Break into my house in the middle of the night and you will find out.

Enjoy stinky cheese

Just for Fun:
I never had a teen idol. I grew up in places so remote there was no tv or radio stations. Thus I had no real grasp on these kind of things.

Bonus Question(s):
Mikey

Someone from kindergarten and first grade that I went to school with.

Between plugging in 2 keys into an outlet when I was 2, and landing head first on a rock when I was 3, all memories were gone from my brain. Thus new memories from when I was 4 did not have to compete with old memories to be remembered.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 AM

6,843 posts, read 11,001,484 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? Yes.
Perform CPR? Nope. I failed my exam on this. They say it's easy but it's harder than it looks. I never got my license for CPR.
Drive a manual transmission? Yes. I prefer manumatic.
Build a fire? Yes. Now this is easy for me. Unlike CPR
Swim? YES!
Parallel park? Ehh rusty at it but yes!
Shoot a gun? Nope
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Ride a bicycle!

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use? They were fictional anime charcters from Dragon Ball Z!

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? Some guy that I was named after actually. He used to be a close family friend when I was young, I haven't seen him since my youth. My memory of him is at Frankfurt airport when I was 3 years old.
What was their relationship to you? Non-family related but he was someone really influential to my parents wayyy back then.
Why do you remember them? Frankfurt, Germany. The place has a warm spot for me.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,098,966 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you know how to:
Change a tire? yes, my dad taught me when I learned to drive
Perform CPR? yes, I have a certificate
Drive a manual transmission? yes, learned to drive in a farm truck
Build a fire? yes, co it camping all the time.
Swim? yes
Parallel park? yes
Shoot a gun? yes and I also have a gun owners permit
What other thing do you think everyone should be able to do? Put money in a savings each payday

Just for Fun:
When you were young, who were your favorite Teen Idols, or whatever terminology you use? The Beatles

Bonus Question(s):
Apart from family, who do you remember farthest back? An old German neighbor family
What was their relationship to you? neighbor and friend
Why do you remember them? They were the best people - she cooked great German food and she did German embroidery and taught me to how to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics