Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,618,105 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

All settled in on campus. Breakfast, and pumpkin caramel latte in hand, I deliver things to ponder on this drizzly Chicago morning.

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?

Tell a bit about your memory of it.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1994 Gary Larson, announces he is retiring from doing "Far Side" cartoon
1982 Scott Weiland runs Detroit marathon backwards in less than 5 hours
1972 Spaceflight 71-2 launched; 1st flexible substrate photovoltaic flown
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres
1955 WTVS TV channel 56 in Detroit, MI (PBS) begins broadcasting
1947 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed
1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%)
1863 Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1778 Captain Cook anchors at Alaska

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Pronunciation: (turp-si-kuh-REE-uhn, turp-si-KOR-ee-uhn, -KORE-)
Meaning: adjective: Of or relating to dancing.
noun: A dancer.
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.
Earliest documented use: 1825.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day
Seriously, that's all I could find.

Quote of the Day:
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. ~Henry Kissinger

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,166,144 times
Today's Question(s): Hi! Thanks, PatsCats! I like when Mr. Ed wore sneakers to run in a race!
I painted dumb ol' Kissinger's bedroom at Conrad Black's house, too.

We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?
~ I don't know, it's so long ago. Maybe transistor radios.

~ They were really neat-o.

Just for Fun:

~ Okay. A big, ripe, sweet juicy watermelon....seedless.
I wished for that when I was a little kid - now they have them!

Bonus Question:

Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?
1. ~ Twilight Zone.
2. ~ The Honeymooners.
3. ~ Bob Newhart.

~ Happy Camelday! ~ Only 3 days until buffet! ~ Luck a-plenty to you all! ~

Last edited by rainroosty; 10-03-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,016,855 times
Mornin' all!

All settled in on campus. Breakfast, and pumpkin caramel latte in hand, I deliver things to ponder on this drizzly Chicago morning.

Today's Question(s):
Seeing how it is way before the crack of noon my brain is having a hard time remembering way back when. Last night probably did not help by drinking several drinks that were not frozen solid only because of the vast amount of rum in them.

My memory is a little fuzzy at the moment.

Just for Fun:
Start with one very large bowl. Put very large bowl back and get even larger bowl. Add a considerable amount of vanilla and chocolate ice cream. Slice a couple of bananas onto ice cream. Also slice several fresh wild strawberries (they are so much sweeter than store bought) and add to bowl. If you happen to have a handful of fresh wild blueberries go ahead and toss them in also. Drown the entire contents of the bowl in chocolate syrup. Top with several large spoonfulls of whipping cream. Top that with several fresh Rainier cherries (pits removed).

Bonus Question:
1. The Carol Burnett Show
2. The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show
3. The Jack Benny Show

I have to have a 4th pick
4. The Red Skelton show

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 10-03-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,285,361 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Calculators

Tell a bit about your memory of it. I can remember my Dad getting a big clunky one for Christmas one year.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Chocolate candy....lots and lots of it.

Bonus Question:
1. Andy Griffith show
2. Dallas....thd old version.
3. My Three Sons

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1994 Gary Larson, announces he is retiring from doing "Far Side" cartoon
1982 Scott Weiland runs Detroit marathon backwards in less than 5 hours
1972 Spaceflight 71-2 launched; 1st flexible substrate photovoltaic flown
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres
1955 WTVS TV channel 56 in Detroit, MI (PBS) begins broadcasting
1947 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed
1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%)
1863 Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1778 Captain Cook anchors at Alaska

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Pronunciation: (turp-si-kuh-REE-uhn, turp-si-KOR-ee-uhn, -KORE-)
Meaning: adjective: Of or relating to dancing.
noun: A dancer.
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.
Earliest documented use: 1825.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day
Seriously, that's all I could find.

Quote of the Day:
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. ~Henry Kissinger

Have a great day everyone!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM

38,985 posts, read 22,988,268 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that
you remember?
Back in the late 80s/early 90s when the company I worked for at the time got Wang word processors to replace the IBM Selectric typewriters.

Getting started was a little rough since there was a training period plus a chance to get adapted to using the new technology. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Just for Fun:

Brownie sundae with marshmallow creme, whipped cream and vanilla ice cream, drizzled with hot fudge sauce and a Maraschino cherry on top.

Bonus Question:

Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run
?
Soupy Sales show
Old Candid Camera hosted by Allen Funt
Old Concentration game show

Happy Hump Day!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 AM

10,209 posts, read 11,193,431 times
Today's Question(s):

Tell a bit about your memory of it. VHS - DVD's? - Gas Cars to Electric Cars... I don't know what else to put here...

Just for Fun:

Not really into desserts... I'll pass..

Bonus Question:

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,438,951 times
Good morning!!!

We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Pong...the first video game and cassette tapes. I spent many hours recording from the radio onto cassette tapes

A sampling please....cheesecake, chocolate mousse, cannoli's...and anything else chocolate

I don't really watch TV and the shows from my childhood that I liked I have outgrown. Maybe a modern version of MacGyver.

Have a great day!!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM

44,667 posts, read 61,767,196 times
Let's see if we can 'terpsichore' around these questions...

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? The automatic car transmission.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. It made it easy to go on a date and not have the floor stick shift in the way.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. I'm happy with banana creme pie or hot peach pie with vanilla bean ice ream. Oh gosh I just had an r-rated thought, oops.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run? Oh there are too many to list just 3.
1. Red Skelton show.
2. Perry Mason
3. Carol Burnett
(If you get Me-TV in your area a lot of the great old shows are being televised now)

'Happy Hump Day', enjoy...

Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,591,931 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Cordless phone

Tell a bit about your memory of it. Was talking to a friend working at a convenience mkt. and she had one in her shirt pocket. I used it to walk outside and call my wife. She didn't believe me. lol

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. A huge hot fudge sundae with 3 humongous scoops of vanilla and chocolate ice cream. And a cherry on top!

Bonus Question:
1. Carol Burnett
2. BJ and The Bear
3. Cactus Pete (local afternoon kid's show. First place I ever watched Johnny Quest.lol)
While we're on the subject of old TV shows, I watched Carol Burnett on Jay Leno last night. Her shows are now coming out on DVD. Went to youtube and checked out some of her funny routines and laughed like crazy at this one with Tim Conway, who at times, stole the show!

Carol Burnett Show outtakes - Tim Conway's Elephant Story - YouTube

Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 9 days ago)

8,824 posts, read 21,311,643 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Well, we always had a television , as long as I can remember so I would say a small portable transistor radio.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. You could take it to the beach or on a picnic and you would be able to hear WMCA everywhere.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Cheesecake with whipped cream and that drizzly stuff that they put on it in The Cheesecake Factory.

Bonus Question:
1. All in the Family
2. MASH
3. Topper

Thanks , Pat for the questions & enjoy your day everyone

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics