Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,860,251 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;26355992]Mornin' all!

All settled in on campus. Breakfast, and pumpkin caramel latte in hand, I deliver things to ponder on this drizzly Chicago morning.

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? .....I remember the first VCR. A friend bought on for about a grand and we all gathered to watch a movie without commercials. This was even before cable. I was amazed.

Tell a bit about your memory of it.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert...... A big warm brownie with walnuts and frosting topped with some mint chocolate chip. Add some caramel, hot fudge, whipped cream and several cherries.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?
1.The Beatles Yellow Submarine cartoons.
2.Dark Shadows
3.All My Children. The first season.

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1994 Gary Larson, announces he is retiring from doing "Far Side" cartoon
1982 Scott Weiland runs Detroit marathon backwards in less than 5 hours
1972 Spaceflight 71-2 launched; 1st flexible substrate photovoltaic flown
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres
1955 WTVS TV channel 56 in Detroit, MI (PBS) begins broadcasting
1947 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed
1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%)
1863 Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1778 Captain Cook anchors at Alaska

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Pronunciation: (turp-si-kuh-REE-uhn, turp-si-KOR-ee-uhn, -KORE-)
Meaning: adjective: Of or relating to dancing.
noun: A dancer.
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.
Earliest documented use: 1825.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day
Seriously, that's all I could find.

Quote of the Day:
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. ~Henry Kissinger

Have a great day everyone! Thanks Pat, you too. Ortho said another 3 weeks off of my feet. Just kill me now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,586,897 times
Good afternoon earthling! (lot of caffine today lol)

Today's Question(s):

We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything.

What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? The 1st one to facinate me is the Fax machine.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. I remember thinking someone was pulling my leg when they were trying to tell me how it works. I was looking for Allen Funt!

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Oh that's a lava cake covered with ice cream and hot fudge. If you insist you can throw some whipped cream on top.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?

1. I Love Lucy
2. Leave it to Beaver
3. Laugh-In

Have a great day everyone!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,857,362 times
Mornin' all!

39*, when I arose at 7:30 a.m. in the Pacific NW. Clear and chilly.

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Television !

Tell a bit about your memory of it. Before my folks purchased a television set in 1953,
we/I would go down the block to my friend's grandparents home to watch ! Remember
my Pop changing the tubes in the back of the set, when they burned out.
When we went to visit my paternal grandparents who lived in a flat in San Francisco, it
seemed he was always adjusting/fine tuning the rabbit ears for better reception---didn't
one use tin foil for the rabbit ears too ?

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert.
Fenton's (Ice Cream Parlor in Oakland, CA) chocolate sundae with swiss malt chocolate
ice cream. Fenton's used to be a dairy and the whipping creme was fresh !

Bonus Question:
1. Carol Burnett Show
2. Perry Mason
2. Wagon Train
3. Topper

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day The Olympic Peninsula enjoyed their first ballon festival
in September; was told the festival in New Mexico has 10,000 hot air balloons

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day everyone! [/quote]
Thank you Pats Cats for the trip down memory lane !

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,114,416 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?
Texas Instrument digital watches ...LED's, Speak & Spell ...

Just for Fun:

Bonus Question:
1.The Rifleman
2. Have gun will Travel
3. Rawhide

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1994 Gary Larson, announces he is retiring from doing "Far Side" cartoon
1982 Scott Weiland runs Detroit marathon backwards in less than 5 hours
1972 Spaceflight 71-2 launched; 1st flexible substrate photovoltaic flown
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres
1955 WTVS TV channel 56 in Detroit, MI (PBS) begins broadcasting
1947 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed
1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%)
1863 Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1778 Captain Cook anchors at Alaska

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day everyone!
Thanks PatCats!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,356,736 times
Hi!

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Probably the VCR.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. We could watch movies anytime and at home, that was cool!

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Chocolate, whipped cream, ice cream... yum yum

Bonus Question:
1. The secret lives of Waldo Kitty - that's for the kid in me
2. A French TV series called Poly - that's a show about a poney, it was really cute.

Then I'm not sure... many things I liked have been on TV several times again since then...

Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,065,448 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?

I would say the first video arcade game systems like Asteroids/Pac-Man/Galaga.

When I was a child in the 1970's all toys were wooden, plastic, or mechanically operated/battery operated. Then in the late 70's/early 80's the electronic arcade game systems like the ones I mentioned above came along and changed everything. By the time I was a teen in the early 80's we were spending most of our free time in the video game arcade at the mall...lol.

Just for Fun:

A vey large chewy chocolate brownie covered with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. Then I would put large amounts of chocolate fudge, caramel, whip cream, and maybe a few ground up peanuts on top of it all.

Bonus Question:
1. Cheers
2. Carol Burnett Show
3. MASH

Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,747 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Television. It must have been the later 50s... I think the screen was round. We sat in front of that thing watching, or trying to watch. It was mostly static fuzziness. On Sunday nights we'd go to our grandparents to watch Disney and The Rifleman on their color tv.

Just for Fun:
Oh, so not a good question for me to answer now, I'm hungry! Hmmm... Warm apple crisp with ice cream sounds good.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run? I have always preferred reading and/or listening to music to watching tv. All I can think of is:
1. West Wing
2. I do miss not having PBS.... cooking shows, history shows.

Enjoy the rest of your day, all! I, for one, am looking forward to a three day weekend!

Last edited by kpinvt; 10-03-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM

7,423 posts, read 5,530,629 times
Happy Hump day!

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? microwaves

Tell a bit about your memory of it. My in-laws were having Thanksgiving and the turkey was still a bit frozen. I was the only one who had a microwave at the time so we put the turkey in the microwave on defrost. so...I saved Thanksgiving that year

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. brownie on bottom topped with caramel, marshmellow, hot fudge and peanut butter.

Bonus Question:
1.The Carol Burnett Show
2. Lost in Space
3. The Red Skelton Show

Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM

76 posts, read 80,256 times
What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?
I guess the really big thing would have to be the computer.

First one I ever worked on wasn't connected to the internet, it was still very useful for reports and transcripts. Faster and so much easier to correct mistakes. The internet changed a lot of things. Keeping in touch with friends and family. Greater awareness of world events. Opened up so mant new vistas that were hitherto unimaginable to most.

Just for Fun:
OOOHHH! i think a chocolate brownie with sweetened cream cheese swirls, a layer of really good vanilla ice cream, some warm caramel sauce drizzled over that with some realsweetened thick whipped cream topped with sprinkling of toasted walnut pieces and a red stemmed maraschino cherry.

Bonus Question:
1.Fritz the Night Owls Chiller Theater
2.Danger mouse
3.The Prisoner

Have a great day everyone!
[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
bjh

60,378 posts, read 30,577,008 times
Today's Question(s):
As a kid I remeber when we got color TV. Also remember older cars used to have a sticker on them saying: air conditioned. Because back in the day, that was news. Before my time restaurants and hotels had signs saying the same thing. Why roast when there's an A/C around?

Just for Fun:
In that case: this is gonna involve a lot of chocolate ice cream. I'll have a generous double dip hot fudge sundae with all the works.

Bonus Question:
1. What's My Line? - great old show
2. the classic Carol Burnett Show
3. the I Love Lucy show

I'm ready:

Last edited by bjh; 10-03-2012 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics