Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,752,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all! Good Morning,PatsCats.

All settled in on campus. Breakfast, and pumpkin caramel latte in hand, I deliver things to ponder on this drizzly Chicago
morning.

Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? I remember touch - tone phones back in the early 60's.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. I remember we had a tan one and I had a pink one.

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Bring on the cheesecake.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?
1. The Dean Martin Show
2. Dallas - the original
3. Wiseguy

I can't stop at 3...lol...The Carol Burnett Show,Airwolf,Knots Landing,Falcon Crest,Magnum P.I.,The Red Skelton Show,............I could continue but won't.

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1994 Gary Larson, announces he is retiring from doing "Far Side" cartoon
1982 Scott Weiland runs Detroit marathon backwards in less than 5 hours
1972 Spaceflight 71-2 launched; 1st flexible substrate photovoltaic flown
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres
1955 WTVS TV channel 56 in Detroit, MI (PBS) begins broadcasting
1947 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed
1913 Federal Income Tax signed into law (at 1%)
1863 Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1778 Captain Cook anchors at Alaska

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Pronunciation: (turp-si-kuh-REE-uhn, turp-si-KOR-ee-uhn, -KORE-)
Meaning: adjective: Of or relating to dancing.
noun: A dancer.
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance),
[b]which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.
Earliest documented use: 1825.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day
Seriously, that's all I could find.

Quote of the Day:
The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. ~Henry Kissinger

Have a great day everyone!

Happy Hump Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,417,118 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?

I think it was the remote control for the TV. That brought my father great joy.

But the one that really made my life easier was the electric typewriter I got for HS graduation to take to college with me and I thought I was Uptown-Saturday-Night.

Today the one that I love the best is the garage door opener.

Tell a bit about your memory of it.
It would really be a pain to have to open and close the garage door by hand. I love the opener. Don't I sound like a spoiled brat? lol

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert.
Seriously, my dream dessert is vanilla ice cream with hot fudge on it.

Bonus Question:
Gretta the Ghost of TV Shows Past has come to re-run a day's worth of your favorite old television shows. What are the three you're most hoping she'll run?
1. My So Called Life
2. One Step Beyond
3. American Bandstand

Today in History:
2011 Sprint Nextel reportedly pays $20 billion for the exclusive rights to Apple's next mobile cell phone
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.

Today is:
Seriously, that's all I could find. I like this for a special day. ahahahahahaha

Quote of the Day:

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,506,348 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Calculators. They were huge.

Tell a bit about your memory of it. Just remember wishing I could have one some day!!

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. Cream Puffs

Bonus Question:
1. Twilight Zone
Columbo
Everybody loves Raymond or Seinfeld

Today in History:
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
Etymology:From Terpsichore, the Muse of dancing and choral song in Greek mythology. The word Terpsichore is the feminine form of terpsichoros (delighting in the dance), a combination of Greek terpein (to delight) and khoros (dance), which is ultimately from the Indo-European root gher- (to grasp or to enclose), also the source of chorus, carol, choir, garth, court, and garden.

Today is:

Quote of the Day:

Enjoy your Wednesday, all!!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM

44,434 posts, read 20,205,283 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? Pocket calculators.
Tell a bit about your memory of it. They were terribly expensive when they first came out in the 1960s. I remember a teacher showing one to our 6th-grade class and we were all amazed by it. We were still using slide rules for calculations at the time!

Just for Fun:
No dietary restrictions, no limits, build your fantasy dessert. A chunk of pure, unadulterated dark chocolate (no nuts, caramel or anything else in it). PLUS, a still-warm vanilla creme brulee, followed by a small glass of sherry.

Bonus Question:
1. The Andy Griffith Show.
2. Freaks and Geeks.
3. Little House on the Prairie.
I would have named M*A*S*H, but I have the entire series (11 seasons) and the movie on DVD so don't need Gretta's help on that one.

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean
I could never be a terpsichorean; at least not a good one. I'm not the most coordinated and graceful person around.

Today is:
Balloons around the World Day Yay! I love balloons!
Seriously, that's all I could find. Seriously, that's okay!

Happy hump day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-03-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM

24,638 posts, read 26,196,376 times
Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember?
Telephones that had a rotary dial.

The fun of listening in on a party line.

Just for Fun:
The Pig from Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor.

http://www.farrellsusa.com/images/ph...h_Vertical.jpg

Bonus Question:
1. The Twilight Zone.
2. Hawaii 50.
3. Magnum PI.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM

591 posts, read 666,038 times
Today's Question(s):

The very first Colored T.V.

I remember the first time I watched it. I was a teen.

Just for Fun:
A hot fudge and ice cream.

Bonus Question:
1. Father Knows Best
Donna Reed Show
3. American Bandstand

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,473,840 times
Hello everybody from a dry and breezy England.

Now then, technology when I was a boy. The first thing I remember clearly was a reel to reel tape recorder.

My dad bought it somewhere. Probably on the never-never!!

I looked at it, it was brown and beige, and was quite heavy. So was the square microphone. I asked what it did. "This machine will record your voice David." I was well impressed. My dad set it up, and got me to say a few words. I watched with interest as the reels turned. After a few minutes of me talking (I was never stuck for words. Even then.)

My dad sent the reels back to the beginning, then turned it on. I was amazed to hear my voice. It sounded different than I heard myself. But, I knew it was right, because my dad sounded as he did to me. Later, we recorded my sister, and then an episode of 'The Flintstones.' I sure wish I had kept those tapes. There was a lot of my father talking, and singing. I could have acquired a machine from a thrift shop or something, and listened to my father talking to me when I was 7 years old. It was thrown away about 40 years ago. I just didn't realise the value of those tapes at the time.

This day in 1961 the premiere of 'Mr Ed' huh? I loved that programme. That was a beautiful horse. Red blooded too. Always had his eye on some filly or other!! Good singer too. 'The Pretty Little Filly With The Pony Tail.' Great tune.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

591 posts, read 666,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
Today's Question(s):

The very first Colored T.V.

I remember the first time I watched it. I was a teen.

Just for Fun:
A hot fudge and ice cream.

Bonus Question:
1. Father Knows Best
Donna Reed Show
3. American Bandstand
Your can tell by our Past TV show OUR AGES........

Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,403,861 times
Quote:
Mornin' all! )))
Good afternoon PatsCats!

Quote:
(((Today's Question(s):
We all remember some piece of technology that changed everything. What is the first advancement in technology that you remember? )))
The wheel. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quote:
(((Tell a bit about your memory of it.)))
Well, a couple of cavemates were trying to make a cart move and they thought hmm, what if we put a block of wood under it. And they experiemented with different shapes. Then they tried a round rock and then eventually I said "Hey ding dongs.... make it round! Use a round piece of wood".
And the rest is history.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,878,730 times
Today's Question(s):

I remember it was very cool to walk around listening to music. Before these we were stuck in the house.

Just for Fun:

Chocolate. Add anything that can be found in a bakery or candy aisle, then decide what it is you forgot and add that too.

Bonus Question:
1. Gunsmoke
2. Jack Benny (it is on one of our channels finally)
3. George Burns (it is on one of our channels finally)

Today in History:
1961 "Mr Ed" premieres

Today’s Word:
terpsichorean

Today is:

Quote of the Day:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics