Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 06:48 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,454,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Gas station attendants who would pump my gas and squegie my windshield.
Isn't that still technically around(gas station attendants), in New Jersey and Oregon? The last 2 states, that haven't did away fully with the gas station attendant rule. Though I think Oregon partially relaxed that rule for rural gas stations, during evening and overnight hours.

I do miss when I was younger, that it seemed TV stations more often produced their own interesting local TV shows. I.e. Bozo the Clown(kid's show) on channel 9(WGN in Chicago), Chicago's Best(WGN 9, cancelled after 2021), and so forth. It also was sad, when I heard Check Please(on channel 11, PBS/WTTW) got cancelled as well.

I know Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives still airs on Food Network, and hasn't gotten cancelled thankfully. I just wish more of those interesting shows, wouldn't get cancelled.

Someone else a few posts before me mentioned the Grammys, and yeah music has been getting more meh for a little while now unfortunately. And I hate that trend, of musicians being lazy and using Autotune for their songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Elevators that had human operators.
The Fine Arts Building(and when it was first built, it was briefly called the Studebaker Building) in downtown Chicago, still has an elevator operator for its elevators. But yeah, they have gotten extremely rare to find today. And IIRC, that is THE only such building in Chicago I can think of still with elevator operators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,667,427 times
I remember punching a time clock when going to work each day. I had a mental block about that -- I just went to my work station and did what I was paid to do. The kindly paymaster let me fill out my hours with pencil every payday.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:55 AM

24,784 posts, read 28,664,032 times
I'm so old I remember...

Assembly line and " Piece Work "

Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,938,335 times
I remember when FL was full of scrub cattle that descended from the cattle left by the Spanish explorers.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:01 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,432,915 times
When milk was delivered to your front door. We got it in glass milk bottles in the 1940's but by the 1960's it was in the familiar waxed cardboard containers. Not sure when the business of daily milk deliveries died out. 1970's?

USPS had two choices for mail and the prices were different. You could send a letter surface mail for three cents and it went to its destination by rail, taking about 5 days to be delivered. . Or you could send it Air Mail and a stamp cost six cents. Air Mail was delivered within 3 days, usually. It was about the 70's when USPS started sending all mail by air and surface mail was discontinued.

Bronzed baby shoes. Parents kept their baby's first shoes and had them bronzed as mementos. I guess it's still possible to have baby shoes bronzed but I don't know anyone today who has done this. It's probably much more expensive today than it was in the 60's. I had my babies' first shoes bronzed.

https://www.bronzery.com/products/pa...hoes-wood-base

Old 07-27-2022, 06:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,151,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember...

Assembly line and " Piece Work "

I remember those. Add "Fast-Paced", Heavy Lifting", and "Merit Pay" to the list of things I no longer have any interest in doing. The problem with Merit Pay of course is that it becomes an excuse to not provide the pay raises they promised before hiring you.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:33 AM

9,794 posts, read 14,366,630 times
I remember the nightmare Shorthand class in high school. The only ones good at it were the nerdy girls.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:03 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,151,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I remember the nightmare Shorthand class in high school. The only ones good at it were the nerdy girls.

Never took Shorthand, but I wish I had taken a full year of typing instead of just one semester.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,026,443 times
I remember Laugh In's Farkel Family, where all the kids had bright red hair and black glasses, just like the neighbor!

Old 07-27-2022, 04:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,706,952 times
I remember when trucks would go through the neighborhood spraying clouds of DDT to knock down the mosquito population. Some kids liked to run behind the trucks, but I was content to stand on the sidewalk, where I received an ample supply of those poisonous fumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics