Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2023, 09:52 AM

24,782 posts, read 28,644,591 times

Advertisements

Schultz & Dooley Beer Utica N.Y
Zweigle’s White Hot Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 10:50 AM

24,602 posts, read 26,166,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I remember taking a trip to Colorado and my sister bought some Coors to bring back to Illinois. We stashed it in the trunk. I'm fuzzy about why we would be in trouble if we were caught with it.

When I was grown up, one of my favorite beers of all time (Augsburger), did not have a light beer. We had regular and dark, and I now see there was also a Bock that I didn't get to try. They no longer make any of it. Damn, that was good stuff @$2 for a six of bottles on sale, Heineken for the college man! If I ever get to heaven I'm ordering a six pack immediately.
I recall co workers making weekend runs to CO from Rockford, IL. to pickup cases of Coors.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:06 AM

899 posts, read 684,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I recall co workers making weekend runs to CO from Rockford, IL. to pickup cases of Coors.
Man, each way that's about 800 miles! At least I-80 is a pretty straight shot.

Old 03-13-2023, 01:46 PM

53,303 posts, read 35,008,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
before Fat Tire beer extended their range, i used to buy it in NM and sell it for twice as much in OK

Old 03-13-2023, 07:50 PM

33,047 posts, read 36,658,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
when you could buy a beer that was not a Light beer labeled Bud, Coors or Miller

Schlitz, Pabst. Miller, Blatz, Gettelmann, Fox Head (Mil)
Hubers, Berghoff, Leinenkugel. Point, Chief Oshkosh, West Bend Lithia, Potosi(Wis)
Hamms (Mpls)
Coors (Colo)
Meister Brau, Braumeister,Canadian Ace (Chi)
Strohs, Goebels, (Det)
Wiedemeier, Hudepohl (Cin)
Iron City (Pit)
Budweiser, Falstaff, Griesedieck, Stag, Hyde Park (StL)
Pearl, Lone Star, Shiner (Tex)
Jax, Dixie (NO)
Lion Brewery, Inc. They were Gibbons when I lived there. The brewery was on one side of Market Street, and the bottling plant on the other. I remember the clink, clink of the bottles.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,655,362 times
I remember "Pizza Pie" and it was baked in a square pan. 1951. It was still called Pizza-Pie, but was round, when Dean Martin recorded " That's Amore" in 1953. The first PizzaHut opened in Wichita in 1958.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:06 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,131,666 times
Quote:
So was that an import duty issue or...? I mean, if you're 21 you can drink Everclear, not far from pure alcohol, so why do they care about the percentage of alcohol in your beer? If they'll sell beer to an 18 year old but not vodka I'd understand.

I googled, found this.

Is Coors Beer Still Unpasteurized And Illegal In Some States?
Coors beer is still, as of today, an unpasteurized beverage with no added preservatives. The company made the shift from traditional techniques to cold filtration because they wanted to preserve flavor. They stated while heat does kill germs in beer, it also kills the taste of the beer! The Coors family wanted to maintain their high standards of flavor, and so they still do not pasteurize their beer or heat it up.

Does this mean that Coors is still illegal in some states?
Many states in the East of the United States were unable to enjoy Coors beer. This is because the beverage had to be kept cool and refrigerated, meaning it could not handle long trips by road to places like the Mississippi. Other states like Oregon actually had laws in place regarding pasteurization. They required all beers sold in Oregon for home consumption to be heated up to 140 degrees. Like we said earlier, Coors was not going to do this. Thus, they were barred from selling their product in Oregon.

https://www.upthirst.com/why-was-coo...n-some-states/

I remember a commercial from maybe the 1980s. According to the script someone asked why store displays had cases of Coors sitting out if keeping it refrigerated was important. Mark Harmon said that if it's out for a few days that's fine.
I don't drink, so I don't keep up with alcohol laws. I see that Ohio now allows the sale of high alcohol beer. Doing a search showed conflicting information, so I'm not sure whether Everclear is now sold over the counter in Ohio. Some years ago, the governor at the time banned the sale of Everclear after a 12 year old overdosed on it and died. We were able to obtain it for laboratory use by signing a letter that it was not going to be used for consumption. We used it to remove magic marker labels from labware. It was also ideal for removing paint overspray from polycarbonate eyeglasses. Ethanol is safe for use on polycarbonate. Denatured alcohol contains compounds that are not safe for use on polycarbonate. Always consult a chemical compatibility chart before using solvents.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
before Fat Tire beer extended their range, i used to buy it in NM and sell it for twice as much in OK
They did that too.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Man, each way that's about 800 miles! At least I-80 is a pretty straight shot.
I could tell you some crazy stories.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:15 PM

30,766 posts, read 16,400,834 times
I remember when a wetland was a swamp, a landfill was a dump, a strip mall was a plaza.

Semantics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics