Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,520,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember cars had the dimmer switch for the bright lights was on the floor and not the switch on the stick.
LOL, I remember we had a Crown Imperial Chrysler that had some kind of set up like that...I drove it in high school in the 80s, it was from the 60s. You could seat four people comfortable across the front seat...it had amazing forest green leather and a straight speedometer rather then rounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,461,632 times
I remember milk being delivered early in the morning and it came in glass bottles.

The Helms Bakery truck with its distinctive horn honking to let all the housewives know it was time to go out, get their bred, and if we are lucky a cookie or donut. Most of the time the moms went out there to talk with the other moms.

Trash men that picked up the trash and the cans were heavy metal cans. One guy at the back of the truck and another guy driving the truck. In the summer time our moms would offer them lemonaide or cool aid while we played outside.

We had a black and white TV and it had a 13 inch screen. No cable at the time.

TV would shut down at night and not come back on till 6am I think. If you came out to early all you saw was a screen with some kind of emblem on it.

I remember when a friends family got cable. They had 2 channels, Nickelodeon and HBO and like network TV it was not on all day and night.

The first video game I ever played was pong.

Our neighbors had a Fiat 500. Funny how they are bringing that car back to the USA.

My dad bought a Honda 600, a two cylinder air cooled car that Honda introduced in 1971 I think.

Pepsi came in a bottle and it was made of glass. You could take the bottle back to the store and get a refund. I still have the 1st bottle that I ever had. That was back in 1970. My parents didn't drink soda or popp or what ever you call it. The contractors that were adding on to our home did and gave my brother and me a bottle of Pepsi.

Every mom in my neighborhood was a housewife, not a stay at home mom or what ever they call it today. All the men went to work.

Girls at my grade school wore dresses and the boys wore shirts with collars that buttoned up. We had to be clean at school. I still remember having to show my teachers my hands to show that they are clean. Even in high school I remember a girl being sent home because her shorts showed too much skin and that was in 1981.

President Ford was the first president I remember. As a kid I thought he owned the Ford Motor Company.

I remember fast food being a treat and not a staple. As a kid we may have went to McDonalds once a year. My mom cooked dinner every night and we ate together as a family.

We raised our own vegetables, had chickens and ducks, and that was in the city.

Mail was something that the mail man delivered.

Computers were something that only a large business would have.

I worked for a cell phone company in 1989 and had a car phone that also had a case to put it in so you could use it outside of your car. The case included the batteries, a radio unit, and a handset. It was larger than my phone on the desk at work and about twice as heavy.

Cell phone cost in 1989. $45 a month for the service plan. Every minute cost .45 a minute on weekdays and .25 a minute on the weekend. No phone was free. Back then it was against the law to bundle a phone with the service plan. We also charged $100 to install the phone in the car. The smallest handheld phone we sold cost $3,000 and that is without any games or anything other than the phone. The least expensive car phone cost around $300.

I remember cars were made out of metal. You would be hard pressed to find much plastic.

We used to cruse on Friday nights. Main street Ventura Ca. I had a 1971 Olds Cuttlass and can assure you that it was fast. Not sure what the MPG that it got as we never cared about the cost of gas back then. I think it was .85 a gallon at the cheap stations.

I remember when MTV, you know Music Television, showed Music Videos.

I remember AOL was the big thing in service providors. We had dial up back then.

We had 2 drive in theatres and those were always good for a little action on a date if you get what I am saying. One year the old Sky View Drive in had changed all their window speaker boxes for this thing that clipped on your antenna. We ended up leaving that time because the antenna on a 1971 Olds Cutlass is inside the front windshield. Can you believe it that girl thought we had gone to the movies to see the movie. Imagine that. Guess it was her first time to the drive in movies.

We used to have to go to the drug store and get fuses for our TV because it wouldn't turn on.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 05-18-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,498,650 times
I remember when some trucks had windshields
that could be tilted open simular to a vent window.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,369,252 times
When a man was a man and woman was a woman and there wasn't any confusion over who was to take the trash out LOL

Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,431,373 times
spoolies for your hair

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqJ,!h!E2ek3wbkHBNuNquiqew~~_12.JPG (broken link)

Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,252,714 times
When very few high school students had their own vehicles. Most either walked or rode the bus.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 PM

YouTube - Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way

Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM

I'm so old I remember the first words my wife said to me:

"What the hell are you looking at!"

Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 AM

42,087 posts, read 75,583,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
the Jim Nabors Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
adding material to bell bottoms
So they'd drag on the ground, and get all frayed, and in the winter they'd freeze around the hems. Yeah ... I did that too! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
My truck's as old as you are. "93"Dodge Dakota 4X4
I have socks older than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember cars had the dimmer switch for the bright lights was on the floor and not the switch on the stick.
My '73 Comet was rusted out so badly ... My little sister borrowed the car, and when she went to hit the dimmer switch, her foot went through the floorboard. The poor kid really freaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I remember milk being delivered early in the morning and it came in glass bottles.
LOL, and I remember summer afternoons when the entire family forgot that milk had been delivered that morning. Yipe.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM

girls...Put on your go-go boots.

Take Me Back To The Sixties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics