Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 09:31 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Advertisements

Sunday is Christmas and I will spend all of my day and night with my beloved Kitty Buttercup! This is a very wonderful thing! Yay! Happy Christmas to you, Kitty, and to your dad!

~ Have you ever owned a 'black light'? No, but lots of my friends had them in the 70s.

~ How about a 'lava lamp'? Yeppers. Still have one and use it from time to time. It has a black base and purple lava.

~ Posters for your wall that you had wayyy long ago: A few psychedelic posters; a "smiling Jesus" poster a couple others that I can't recall except that they had peace signs and right colors on them.

~ Other things related to the late 1960s: Great music (the British invasion as well as US bands); benign TV sitcoms such as Leave It To Beaver, Hazel, My Favorite Martian, Bewitched and westerns such as Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, Bonanza, The Rifleman.

~ Outdoor concerts/festivals that you ever been to: Boston Pops concert at Ravinia near Chicago (a fantastic outdoor venue in a wooded area); local bands every summer; my town's annual Popcorn Festival (Orville Redenbacher was born here); several other festivals in nearby towns.

~ Record albums from the '60s and 70s that you liked a lot: All the Moody Blues' albums; various albums by John Denver, James Taylor, Rod Stewart; Jesus Christ Superstar; The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Rick Wakefield; several others. I never had a very large album collection -- couldn't afford to buy many records in the 60s and 70s.

~ Did you have a portable cassette player/recorder? Yes. I had one in the 80s, I think.

~ How about 8-track tapes? Yes, I had several of these. Funny story. My dad had found a turntable/8-track player that someone had put out with their trash on garbage day. He brought it home, fixed whatever was wrong with it, and gave it to me. I used it for at least 10 years. And get this: it was quadraphonic! I only had about 4 quadraphonic vinyl albums, but they sure sounded cool with the four speakers in all corners of my living room.

~ Have you ever seen Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki on TV? Yes, and I watched their wedding on The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson.

~ Anyone remember Moms Mabley? Yes! They still occasionally play her bits on one of the Sirius XM comedy channels.

~ Remember Shake a Pudding? Omigosh, I'd forgotten about that. Yep, I remember it now.

~ Can you list a few "Funny Face" different flavor-character names? I don't know what this is.

~ Have you had acorn fights, dirtbomb fights or fruit off the tree fights? Had rotten apple fights a few times in some friends' orchard. We picked up rotten apples from the ground and pelted them at one another.

~ Ever play army fights with sticks and stuff? Yes. Did a lot of this.

~ How about go berry picking? Yeppers. Wild blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries. Also have picked blueberries and strawberries at U-Pick farms.

~ Some of the animal creatures you remember from when you were much younger: Squirrels, bunnies, frogs, toads, snakes - all common in our neighborhood. Lots of birdies, too, of course.

~ Did you have an ice cream man in the summer? Yes. When I was very small, an ice cream man came around with a cart that he pushed and it had a couple of bells on a stick that he rang so kids could hear him coming. Later, there was an ice cream truck that came around and played music. What things were your favorites? Fudgsicles and Dreamsicles

Did you used to buy 'caps'? (For a cap gun or just to hit on the concrete porch to make them explode...bang! Yes, we bought some caps every summer around July 4th and popped them on the sidewalk. Did you ever bang the entire roll all at once? Nopey.

**** I wish I could see you all over the holidays...Love and
happiness, peace to you all! **** This was a fun walk down memory lane, roosty! Thanks for the fun fill-ins!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:55 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
So many questions!

No to lamps and posters.

Yes to playing ear with sticks, rubber band guns, dirt clod fights. Had cap guns - my family didn't genderize my toys, and let's be honest - dolls are dull.

I remember 8 tracks and cassette recorders in cars. I didn't have any portable ones. I picked berries. No ice cream men came around - darn it!

Vaguely remember Tiny Tim but never heatd of Moms Mabley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 10:08 AM

24,473 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Sunday is Christmas and I will spend all of my day and night with my beloved Kitty Buttercup! This is a very wonderful thing!

~ Have you ever owned a 'black light'?

~ How about a 'lava lamp'?

~ Posters for your wall that you had wayyy long ago:
No posters.

~ Other things related to the late 1960s:
Muscle cars, bell bottoms, mini skirts and Angel Flight clothing Space Race, Cold War.

~ Outdoor concerts/festivals that you ever been to:
Only 1. The Smothers Brothers.

~ Record albums from the '60s and 70s that you liked a lot:
Born to Run, Exile on Main Street, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Rumours.

~ Did you have a portable cassette player/recorder?

~ How about 8-track tapes?
Had them.

~ Have you ever seen Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki on TV?

~ Anyone remember Moms Mabley?
Vaguely

~ Remember Shake a Pudding?

~ Can you list a few "Funny Face" different flavor-character
names?

~ Have you had acorn fights, dirtbomb fights or fruit off the tree
fights?
Mostly dirt clods.

~ Ever play army fights with sticks and stuff?

~ How about go berry picking?

~ Some of the animal creatures you remember from when you
were much younger:
Lightning bugs, tadpoles or polywogs.

~ Did you have an ice cream man in the summer? What things
were your favorites?
Ice cream sandwich and 50-50s.

Did you used to buy 'caps'? (For a cap gun or just to hit on the concrete porch to make them explode...bang! Did you ever bang the entire roll all at once?
Yes and Yes.

happiness, peace to you all! ****
Thanx Roosty. have a pleasent holiday.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:57 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Sunday is Christmas and I will spend all of my day and night with my beloved Kitty Buttercup! This is a very wonderful thing!
Merry Christmas to Mr. Roosty and to Buttercup! Hope it is a Beautiful Christmas and Wonderful New Year ahead.

My Son has one right now though!
Several Black light posters

The Great Mississippi River Festival and Several outdoor concerts at the Kentucky State Fair.
My favorite outdoor concert was probably the Beach Boys.

Simon and Garfunkle's Bridge Over Troubled water, Linda Ronstadt's greatest hits, Neil Diamond Live, and many others....Liked CCR, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Elton John and many others that I am probably forgetting right now.

Remember the name....
Doesn't ring a bell
names?

fights?

were much younger:
I remember them all....always loved animals.
Too many to name.

~ Did you have an ice cream man in the summer? Yes, Mr Softee and the Good Humor.

What things were your favorites?
Mr. Softee - vanilla soft serve ice cream cone covered in a hard shell chocolate or the vanilla/chocolate swirl ice cream cone.....Good humor - Strawberry shortcake bar or the chocolate eclair bar, or the red white and blue popsicle (cherry, lemon and blue raspberry)

Did you used to buy 'caps'? (For a cap gun or just to hit on the concrete porch to make them explode...bang! Did you ever bang the entire roll all at once?
I don't think I ever banged them all at once, but I remember having cap guns.

Merry Merry Christmas Roosty!

Old 12-23-2022, 03:38 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Merry Christmas to you and Buttercup!

No, but I remember them from the 60s.
Same as above.
Mont St. Michel in my teenage bedroom.
The "Paul is Dead" hysteria.
I remember seeing Brasil '66 at the Schaefer Festival in Central Park, New York City. Also the San Francisco Symphony at a 4th of July concert at an outdoor arena in the Bay Area.
"Rubber Soul, "Revolver" "Sgt. Pepper" and "The White Album" - The Beatles
"Surrealistic Pillow" - Jefferson Airplane
"All Things Must Pass" - George Harrison
"Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John
"Nashville Skyline" - Bob Dylan
"Jazz Samba" - Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd
"Getz/Gilberto" - Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
"Creedence Clearwater" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Disraeli Gears" - Cream
"Let it Bleed" and "Beggar's Banquet" - Rolling Stones
"John Barleycorn is Dead" - Traffic
"Songs in the Key of Life" "Talking Book" and "Innervisions" - Stevie Wonder
"Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon and Garfunkel
"Crosby, Stills and Nash" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
"Déja Vu" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
"Whipped Cream and Other Delights" - Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass
"Here Comes Rhymin' Simon" and "Paul Simon" - Paul Simon
"Abraxas" - Santana
"Nilsson Schmilsson" - Harry Nilsson
"Taught by Experts" - Peter Allen

Yes. I still have a mini-cassette recorder.
I had a few 8-tracks and my VW Beetle had a player, but my car was broken into and it was stolen.
Yes, I remember watching their wedding on "The Tonight Show."
Yes, she was a unique entertainer.
I've heard of it, but never had a chance to try it.
names?
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry, Chinese Cherry.
fights?
My brother and I once had a rice fight after school. What a mess! We both got in trouble.
No, but I used to pretend I was a soldier with my brother's pop gun over my shoulder.
Yes, I've done that a few times.
were much younger:
My mother's parakeet, Tweety. Our dogs Cleo, Rusty, Sergeant and Mitzie. Our pet white rat, Ratsky Korsakov. Our duck, Oscar.
were your favorites?
Yes, and I especially liked the chocolate mint and toffee crunch ice cream bars and another ice cream bar called the Sidewalk Sundae.
My brother did all those things. I only got to watch because I was a girl.

Thanks, Roosty!

Old 12-23-2022, 04:12 PM

7,336 posts, read 2,743,364 times

~ Have you ever owned a 'black light'? No

~ How about a 'lava lamp'? Yes

~ Posters for your wall that you had wayyy long ago: My favorite poster was The Doors.

~ Other things related to the late 1960s: leather fringed purses, bell bottoms, and love beads.

~ Outdoor concerts/festivals that you ever been to: n/a

~ Record albums from the '60s and 70s that you liked a lot: Way too many to list.
The Beatles, The Doors, The Rascals, The Animals, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, The Stones, Donovan, and on and on. I still have all of the albums and 45s.

~ Did you have a portable cassette player/recorder? Yes, I did.

~ How about 8-track tapes? I had a few.

~ Have you ever seen Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki on TV? Yes.

~ Anyone remember Moms Mabley? Yes.

~ Remember Shake a Pudding? Yes.

~ Can you list a few "Funny Face" different flavor-character names? Goofy Grape is the only one I remember.

fights? No

~ Ever play army fights with sticks and stuff? No, just with play guns

~ How about go berry picking? Nope

were much younger: Many different species of wildlife, horned toads and more.

were your favorites? No

Did you used to buy 'caps'? (For a cap gun or just to hit on the concrete porch to make them explode...bang! Did you ever bang the entire roll all at once? Yep.

Merry Christmas to you as well, Roosty.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:33 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
.....I would pop caps using my finger nail. Also popped caps with a hammer. Very few caps I bought made it into my cap gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics