Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

This is first time I've lived full-time among the rural poor. We have the highest unemployment rate in the state, the smallest number of white colour jobs, inadequate housing and many people living without any health care.

We don't have visible homelessness, but people live in adobes or trailers without heat; no running water, and some without electricity and gas. They call it "living off the grid." I haven't coined a name for it yet.

When I lived in a large urban area, I saw poverty every single day. In particular, two different men panhandled in my neighbourhood. So, the minute I got off the subway, I encountered the Limp; and then at the corner of my street, I always met the Strut. These were my personal names for them!

Generally I forked over money to a homeless person I encountered during the day or Limp and Strut 2-5 times per week. Nothing much, but enough for me not to think they were going hungry. Of course, I never knew where they slept.

PS - Just read the budget for homeless was approved

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070221/ap_on_go_ot/homeless_grants (broken link)

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-20-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 07:03 PM

431 posts, read 393,915 times
There's rampant poverty in some areas of Savannah. The west side is especially impoverished. In some places you will see a beautiful home right next door to a shack, literally. I drove around one day when I first moved here and just could not believe it. When I say poverty, I mean deep, desperate poverty. This town has so much "old" money and it's rich in many, many ways. It's quite the shame, in my humble opinion, to allow much of the city to live in the conditions they do. I've been told "that's just the way it's always been here".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics