Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,993,951 times

Advertisements

The continued work at trying to keep things “green” around the house is getting to me. It’s hot, things need water, things need shade, things need fertilizer, things need to be cleaned up and leaf blowers need to be working. I’m tired of it! I’m wanting to move into a high rise apartment building without any yard maintenance.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,260,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Have spent the entire day on computer virus issues. I thought my Mac laptop was free & clear and as I sipped coffee and opened it up, Kaspersky advised a trojan was attempting entry. Went back to the desktop, dumped all the anti virus freebies and bought McAfee. Even thought I bought their highest priced version, somehow McAfee downloaded a cheaper version. So on the phone with a techie for a long time. Ended up giving him permission to access my PC (just like we do at work) and he looked at everything, downloaded the right one, blah blah. But done with him, supposedly all fixed, I rebooted and the PC immediately opened McAfee window to say it was removing existing McAfee to upload new stuff. ????? We just did that! Crap! Rebooted again, same thing, so I left it go through the paces.

Now I need to get back on the Mac and give it McAfee since the purchase is supposed to be good for 3 PC's.

If I knew the identity of the hacker, I'd be compelled to pay someone to kick his arse .... maybe break some fingers. I have a headache.
Ooh. May I suggest asking for a refund and going to Trend Micro, instead? McAfee, like Norton, isn't really that great. Trend Micro has a program, Titanium, that runs in the cloud. You don't even know when something is trying to access your computer because it never gets that far. You also don't have to deal with downloading updates. It's all done on their system. I love it.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:54 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,271,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Ooh. May I suggest asking for a refund and going to Trend Micro, instead? McAfee, like Norton, isn't really that great. Trend Micro has a program, Titanium, that runs in the cloud. You don't even know when something is trying to access your computer because it never gets that far. You also don't have to deal with downloading updates. It's all done on their system. I love it.
I doubt they'll give a refund. I had Norton in 2010 and it was so aggravating, I switched to MacAfee but let MacAfee expire. Then I was using some freebies but they didn't catch the trojans. Malwarebytes did and that was recommended on the CD computer site. I did a lot of browsing and checking in with two techies. Both techies thought MacAfee would do a good enough job on the windows desktop which is where it is. But I'm still thinking about what I want to buy for the Mac laptop that also had trojans. Right now it's using a Kaspersky 30 day trial. By the way, most of the trojans were from java updates. I'll take a look at Trend Micro and see what users have to say about it with Mac OS X. The desktop still has searchq/searchu hiding and browsing on that so far reveals it's about impossible to find and get rid of. I did figure out a way to keep it from pretending to be my home page. But it still lurks and MacAfee provides a secure search site. The desktop is a refurbished $250 PC so I won't be terribly upset if it crashes before I determine which is the best antivirus.

I'll now do some browsing on Trend Micro! Thanks for the info!

Edit: Trend Micro also has a 30 day free trial for Mac OS so will give it a go!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,731,488 times
It's almost fair season and with the weather being in the upper 90's it's also beach season... which basically means it's that time of the summer when the local residents stay at home while the out-of-towners flock in.

Boredom is getting to me :/

Old 06-30-2012, 06:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,808,887 times
Quote:
The continued work at trying to keep things “green” around the house is getting to me. It’s hot, things need water, things need shade, things need fertilizer, things need to be cleaned up and leaf blowers need to be working. I’m tired of it! I’m wanting to move into a high rise apartment building without any yard maintenance.
I keep thinking about a backyard in Arizona, with a nice adobe looking wall surrounding it. There's a pool to soak in, a shaded lanai, a mesquite or orange tree, and a few potted plants.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,808,887 times
Quote:
It's almost fair season and with the weather being in the upper 90's it's also beach season... which basically means it's that time of the summer when the local residents stay at home while the out-of-towners flock in.
Ditto. It's a pain fighting traffic to go anywhere in summer around here. When I go to the library I often just squeeze into the line of traffic and continue a half mile or so till I can get into a turning lane and head back towards home.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
Ditto. It's a pain fighting traffic to go anywhere in summer around here. When I go to the library I often just squeeze into the line of traffic and continue a half mile or so till I can get into a turning lane and head back towards home.
Exactly! We must be from the same area or something
You have to plan your turns miles in advance because changing lanes in town is just not an option

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,993,951 times
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,, is it ever getting HOT these days. The whole country is suffering from heat, and it's the worst weather we've for most parts of the nation. If this is the sign of the "end times" then I'm going out and buying all the COOL beer now and stocking up.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:21 PM

52,473 posts, read 53,034,356 times
"Baby Daddy"

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Ok, this may be a long post, but I need to vent *deep breath*

I was driving on the interstate in Michigan today (a 4 lane road) and I came near a semi-truck that was going probably 5-10 under the speed limit. I decided to pass him, so I get into the left lane and speed up a little to about 5 over the limit (I have a fear of riding next to semis... panicky about the possibility of their tires exploding). As I get over and about 1-2 car lengths from the semi, the truck that was behind the semi decides to pass too, and jumps into the passing lane. The truck in front of me is probably going 2-3 mph over the speed of the semi which results in me riding side-by-side with the semi and a long train of cars behind me waiting to pass. The truck finally makes it past the front of the semi and veers slightly into the right lane as if he's going to move over to let us pass. Two seconds later, he quickly moves back into the passing lane (in front of me) and slams on his brakes. I slam on my brakes, lay on my horn (to alert the car riding my bumper), and watch as everyone including the semi brakes because of this truck. I watch as the two guys in the truck look at each other almost like they're having fun. The truck then speeds up a little, and moves in front of the semi. By this time I'm shaky and mad and floor it to get away from this person, and of course he decides to floor it too so that I can't get over in the right lane. I floor it again and manage to get way ahead of him and I turn off the interstate.

Being so flustered I went on the wrong exit and ended up on the wrong road in town. After driving about 5 minutes out of my way, I finally find a dead-end off the main street to turn around in. As I'm sitting in the 'no outlet' waiting to turn onto the main road, I see as the same truck drives by. He does a double-take at my car, does a U-turn in front of traffic, and pulls into the dead-end with his car aimed at my car and rolls his windows down. Instinct told me to not look at him and act as though his car isn't next to mine. I pull onto the main road and quickly take a few extra turns and thankfully I don't see him again.

I hate when stuff like this happens. It has literally ruined my whole day and made me paranoid about traveling to that town again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics