Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:28 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,550,869 times

Advertisements

Good morning Karla and Happy Saturday to you...

Yes, I've gone up to a stranger and asked these kinds of questions and have always gotten a polite answer...infact it's how I came across one of my very favorite perfumes, that I've now worn for years...Design!

I was receiving at least 8-10 magazines each month, but never got to read most of them...so this year I didn't renew any! I did pick up a copy of "Real Simple" at the store this month.

No Christmas tree this early for me...I'll get out my little pre-decorated tree and Christmas Centerpiece for the diningroom table a few weeks before Christmas.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM

821 posts, read 2,014,599 times
I'm home and have pictures at
2009 Oct Nov Haiti Photo Gallery by Rachel at pbase.com

Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone up to someone you didn't know to ask them about something that caught your eye ?
yes
Maybe their haircut, something they were wearing, something they were doing etc....

Was their response:
Polite,they answered your question ?
this has happened
You got more information that you needed ? and this
They just walked away ? never had this happen
How cool !! you ended up with a new friend ? not happened

Bonus Question:

How many different magazines do you read each month ?
a few

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store ? subscription to Mother Earth News, Budget Travel, Family Fun, National Geographic Travel, Tennessee Home and Farm, Holiness Today (church magazine), Nursing 2009. (all of these are mailed to me)

Extra Credit Question:

Ok fess up !!
How many of our QOTD family wants to put up their Christmas tree now ?
have never put a Christmas tree up since I have been married

Old 11-07-2009, 07:46 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,352,933 times
Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone up to someone you didn't know to ask them about something that caught your eye?
Maybe their haircut, something they were wearing, something they were doing etc....

Never. I am painfully shy in person, and it's hard for me to walk up and talk to people I do know. I could never strike up a conversation with a total stranger.

Bonus Question:

How many different magazines do you read each month?

Oh, let's see. The Economist, Scientific American, Funny Times, History Magazine, Cooks' Illustrated and Willy Street Reader always. Occasionally Time Magazine. That's about it.

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store?

We have subscriptions to the ones we read regularly, and Time is the one that I look for if I'm waiting in a doctor's office.

Extra Credit Question:

Ok fess up!!
How many of our QOTD family wants to put up their Christmas tree now?

Good lord, no! I'm not only not ready to put one up, I'm starting to mull over the possibility of not putting one up at all. Our kids are in their 20s, we don't yet have grandkids, and it just seems like an awful lot of work for not much point.

Whats the earliest you have put your tree up?

We have never put up a tree more than two weeks before Christmas. It's usually up 10 to 14 days before the holiday, and it always comes down on New Year's Day.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,916,135 times
Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone up to someone you didn't know to ask them about something that caught your eye ?

Was their response:
Polite,they answered your question ?
You got more information that you needed ?
They just walked away ?
How cool !! you ended up with a new friend ?

Hmmm.... Oh..plenty of people ask me about my haircut.. - but I rarely ask people about things they're wearing... I just can't see myself walking up to a person and asking them "Hey, I like your shirt where did you get it from?", or asking a gal "I like your dress, where did you get it from?"...

Seriously, I don't usually do that, unless it's a car they're driving, or a gun they're carrying. I was at a convenience store recently and I saw a guy with an old Plymouth Fury, and I wasn't sure what year it was. I asked him about the year, and I guess he was having a bad day or something, because he wasn't too thrilled about answering me, and he just said "'72". I also asked him what engine it had in it, and again, being like a grouch, he said "318". So I stopped asking him any more questions. It was a nice classic car, even though it needed a paint job.

Bonus Question:

Let's see.. I have 4 magazines for my Colt AR-15, and 3 for my Springfield M1-A rifle, a few magazines for my Ruger 9mm, and .40 S&W, and a few for my Colt 1911 .45 ACP...

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store ?
Being a life member of the NRA, I get the American Rifleman magazine... and no, I don't have a subscription to Victoria's Secret's catalogs..

Extra Credit Question:

Ok fess up !!
How many of our QOTD family wants to put up their Christmas tree now ?
Whats the earliest you have put your tree up ?
I wait until Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,624,715 times
Many times. Just recently walked up to a lady at a gas pump and asked her what she thought of her car.

Was their response: Polite,they answered your question ? This
You got more information that you needed ? and this

I don't read the ones I get. I save them and take them with me to my off-grid vacation property so I have something to do rather than watch tv or play on the computer. Those are not allowed when I am "on vacation" or otherwise at a "sanity retreat."

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store ?
I often have a subscription or two for a year and let them pile up for their intended purpose.

Whats the earliest you have put your tree up ?
Can't recall ever putting one up at all.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,042,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Today's Question(s):
Never. I am painfully shy in person, and it's hard for me to walk up and talk to people I do know. I could never strike up a conversation with a total stranger.
You aren't the least bit shy on CD - hard to believe!! You seem like you could talk to anybody!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:59 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,042,597 times
Welcome back, Rachel!!! We missed you!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,340,315 times
Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone up to someone you didn't know to ask them about something that caught your eye ? Yes
Maybe their haircut, something they were wearing, something they were doing etc.... I like to give compliments to someone if they are wearing a nice outfit, have a great handbag, colonge, haircut, etc.

Was their response:
Polite,they answered your question ? Polite, they were thankful for the compliment.
You got more information that you needed ? Sometimes, but not too often.
They just walked away ? Never
How cool !! you ended up with a new friend ? No, wasn't that deep of a conversation...just a thanks will do nicely.

Bonus Question:

How many different magazines do you read each month ? Not really into magazines. Only read them if I am in a waiting area.

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store ? None of the above

Extra Credit Question:

Ok fess up !!
How many of our QOTD family wants to put up their Christmas tree now ? None...thank goodness!

Whats the earliest you have put your tree up ? Right after Thanksgiving

Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,161,705 times
Good Morning!

Today's Question(s):

Have you ever gone up to someone you didn't know to ask them about something that caught your eye ? sure
Maybe their haircut, something they were wearing, something they were doing etc.... usually to tell them how cute their kid is!

Was their response:
Polite,they answered your question ? most people are basically polite!!!
You got more information that you needed ?
They just walked away ?
How cool !! you ended up with a new friend ?

Bonus Question:

How many different magazines do you read each month ? 4 to 6

Do you have a subscription or do you buy them at the store ? I only pay for Taste of Home~the rest are free subscriptions from the internet~Thanks you GloryB!!!

Extra Credit Question:

Ok fess up !!
How many of our QOTD family wants to put up their Christmas tree now ? not quite!

Whats the earliest you have put your tree up ? I used to always put it up the day after Thanksgiving~& I shoot for that~I believe in windows of opportunity~& that is sometimes a 4 day weekend for me~

Have a great day~I'm off to the church craft fair!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,352,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You aren't the least bit shy on CD - hard to believe!! You seem like you could talk to anybody!!!!!!!
When I write, I can talk to anyone. Face to face is another story entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics