Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM

16,709 posts, read 17,491,798 times

Advertisements

I'm happy with my weight, perhaps less so with the way it's distributed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 01:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,011,243 times
Today's Question(s):

When I was little I really wanted _a motor scooter_______ and/or __Motorcycle_____because a lot of the kids had them ?

Bonus Question:
Yesterday we talked about what famous people we wanted to have lunch with

How many of you said " OOOO I want to have lunch with this person too " while reading other posters answers ?
Maybe...

Extra Credit Question:

In honor of scale & honesty day

Have you ever "fudged" the numbers a bit when asked "How much do you weigh" ?
If so it would have been upwards..
Speaking of weight

Where is "Wanda the weight loss Fairy"
I would be really happy if she could make ________ pounds disappear ? If she could make herself disappear I'd be happy!

Just for Fun:

What "College Fads" do you remember being popular when you were younger ?

Gettin' hi and raising hell.... I wasn't part of that crowd..

Today in History:
1772 - John Clais patents 1st scale
1885 - Boston Pops Orchestra forms
1889 - 1st U.S. national holiday, on centennial of Washington's inauguration
1904 - The Ice cream cone makes its debut
1947 - Maps had to be changed as Boulder Dam was changed back to its original name, Hoover Dam. Some people, mostly those who live in the community of Boulder, Nevada, still refer to the dam as Boulder Dam
1955 - A few University of Iowa men students released a little pent-up energy. They conducted the first ever panty raids at the women’s dorm.
1952 - Mr. Potato Head is 1st toy advertised on television

Word of the Day:

recalcitrant \rih-KAL-sih-truhnt\ , adjective;
1. Stubbornly resistant to and defiant of authority or restraint.
Hippies

Today is:
National Raisin Day
National Oatmeal cookie day
Ice Cream Cone Day
Hairstyle Appreciation Day
Mr. Potato Head Day
Scale Day
National Honesty Day

Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,468,119 times
Default We all earned BS's in Fads in the 1970s

College Fads?

Not sure exactly what I would have considered a fad, aside from our fashion faux-pas, and that might include the hipster bell-bottoms and wide leather belts, the leather platform sandals we called Buffalo sandals; mini, midi, and maxi skirts; big-brimmed floppy hats, occasionally in leather a la Janis Joplin; for the men it might've been those print shirts -- the ones with scenes on them, and I think I saw these recently in a department store, and *gasped*, leisure suits, shirts unbuttoned to about mid-chest.

Aside from fashion, maybe our own technology of the time? I had to have an 8-track tape player -- what was I thinking?! -- but was one of the fortunate ones who sold mine, at a decent price, before they became passe. Dancing under disco balls, or on black-lit dance floors, at places like The Time Tunnel.

And streaking. It was b-i-g on college campuses, and the deal was to see just how many kids you could get together at one time, at one place, to go streaking. My husband's roommate scratched his nether parts to smithereens, jumping a fence into a rose bush -- unbeknownst to him -- trying to get away from THE law. Neighbors had complained about kids running around n-e-k-k-i-d.

Being naked, if you were wild might've led you into some of the wild parties I heard about, but was never invited to -- getting into tubs after greasing yourself up with oils, to roll around with other n-e-k-k-i-d people. I was way-too-shy and insecure, but mesmerized by the tales from kids I knew who weren't way-too-shy and insecure. My husband explained to me that being n-e-k-k-i-d led to trouble, and was different from being naked.

We did go to the beaches late at night, after an evening of drinking and disco-ball dancing, to strip down and skinny-dip in the ocean. That was beautiful -- a moonlight ocean and the creatures in the water (phosphorescent?) that left streaks of millions of colors when you waved your arms across the water.

For some, I suppose the drug culture was fad, but that was too risky for me. Illegal, like it still is today, and my ex-Marine Corps father would have killed me. Drinking before I was 18 got me into trouble once, so I had had my fill of Dad's lessons about whatever.

There was the long hair, for both males and females -- usually parted straight down the middle of one's head (and so unflattering to most of us), and we all used Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific! shampoo for awhile. Girls got straight, sleeky hair by ironing it on an ironing board, and trying not to burn their foreheads or a cheek. Then, we rolled it on orange juice cans. This was before the blow-dryer for some of us, and after that technology hit, we all had to deal with the frizzies. My Mother screamed about us girls ruining our hair. Girls sported Farrah Fawcett cuts, or the wedge that Dorothy Hamill popularized. Young men grew mustaches, goatees, and beards. I could date a fellow with moderately long hair, say to his shoulders, and with a mustache, but I dared bring no fellow home to meet dear old Dad looking any worse than that, regardless of whether he was a Rhodes Scholar, son of the District Court judge, or Christ Himself.

I suppose I outgrew a lot of those kinds of things when I graduated from college, and got my first teaching job in the late 1970s, and by then, it was the preppie look, so I was most fashionable in my skirts and sweaters and pumps. Looking back at photos, I think it all looks pretty silly.

I never did outgrow wearing hats, though, and to this very day, wear them year 'round -- usually large-brimmed ones. I wear one most every day.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:59 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,630,575 times
Just wanted to offer my thoughts for Mrs Dude to gain some weight.

Also, are congrats in order? Are we going to be welcoming baby Sudcaro to the QOTD family?

High 5 to all of you who quit smoking!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,052,336 times
Today's Question(s):

When I was little I really wanted
_a 10 speed bicycle_ and/or _mini-motor bike__because a lot of the kids had them ?

Bonus Question:

How many of you said " OOOO I want to have lunch with this person too " while reading other posters answers ?

Sandra Bullock

Extra Credit Question:

Not really, I don't care anymore...LOL.
Speaking of weight

I would be really happy if she could make
_(see above)...LOL_ pounds disappear ?

Just for Fun:

Don't remember any of those.

Today in History:

1947 - Maps had to be changed as Boulder Dam was changed back to its original name, Hoover Dam. Some people, mostly those who live in the community of Boulder, Nevada, still refer to the dam as Boulder Dam
1955 - A few University of Iowa men students released a little pent-up energy. They conducted the first ever panty raids at the women’s dorm.

Today is:
National Raisin Day
Ice Cream Cone Day
Mr. Potato Head Day
Scale Day
National Honesty Day

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:58 PM

9,631 posts, read 821,770 times
Today's Question(s):

When I was little I really wanted
__ one toy car______ and/or __a puppy_____because a lot of the kids had them ?

Bonus Question:

I do..

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever "fudged" the numbers a bit when asked "How much do you weigh" ? I say I haven't weighed for ages, and it's truth.

Speaking of weight

I would be really happy if she could make ________ pounds disappear ?

Just for Fun:

What "College Fads" do you remember being popular when you were younger ? Scaring with plastic spiders

Today in History:

Word of the Day:

Today is:
National Raisin Day

Ice Cream Cone Day
Mr. Potato Head Day
Scale Day
Good idea, to weigh myself.
National Honesty Day

Have a nice day

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 PM

23,029 posts, read 34,446,406 times
I always wanted a Barbie house.
Yes several were mentioned I'd like to have lunch with.
I just don't say how much I weigh.
Wanda can take away 10 pounds.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM

36,481 posts, read 16,081,385 times
Today's Question(s):

When I was little I really wanted __patent leather shoes______ and/or _wool plaid skirt______because a girl i walked to school with had them ?

Bonus Question:

I did, there were some good answers.
Extra Credit Question:

I really haven't
Speaking of weight

I would be really happy if she could make ___0_____ pounds disappear ?

Just for Fun:

None, got married, YIKES!!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,551,276 times
We are going into the weekend.....TGIF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Friday
Today we say goodbye to April and hopefully the last of the cold weather for our northern friends.
It is going to be in the 90 this weekend I will gladly send some of that heat to anyone who is interested

I have a very busy day ahead so I and going to start with the most fun part

Today's Question(s):

When I was little I really wanted _braces__ and/or inground swimming pool___because some of the kids had them ? I bent a paper clip and pretended I had braces.

Bonus Question:

How many of you said " OOOO I want to have lunch with this person too " while reading other posters answers ? I try not to look at what others write before I write mine...but later, I did see Winston Churchill and I knew my husband would like to visit with him. I don't really want to visit with dead people and some of them (mentioned) were dead.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you ever "fudged" the numbers a bit when asked "How much do you weigh" ? I don't weigh myself very often..I'm too neurotic and I don't want it to be an obsession.....the way my clothes fit is good enough for me.

Speaking of weight

I would be really happy if she could make _3 trillion__ pounds disappear ?

Just for Fun:

What "College Fads" do you remember being popular when you were younger ? We didn't have much furniture so we made coffee tables out of plywood and those funny gray bricks with daisy designs in the middle. We played 70's music loudly, wore hippie beads, bleached our long hair blonde and wore short, cut-off levis that were split up the legs with halter tops...(decades before Daisy Duke was in a movie) Our neighbor was stationed at a base, and he got us kegs for parties....we also drank Annie Green Springs.....I glued all the bottles together and made a huge pyramid that ended up being very heavy....I was an art major and did lots of crazy things..

Today in History:
1904 - The Ice cream cone makes its debut people in Carmel gotta love Clint Eastwood, eh?
1952 - Mr. Potato Head is 1st toy advertised on television My 'richer' cousin had one so we played with it....real potatoes, too! I didn't have one. My daughter had a plastic one, but she's a Mrs. P.

Word of the Day:

Today is:
National Raisin Day source of iron
Ice Cream Cone Day love waffle cones
Mr. Potato Head Day
Scale Day
National Honesty Day
Have a good one!

Last edited by Wurzig; 04-30-2010 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: added a word in order to clairify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics